Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: Peter Brentlinger on May 21, 2019, 09:30:55 pm

Title: There is a bug inside my NEC!
Post by: Peter Brentlinger on May 21, 2019, 09:30:55 pm
So, I'm editing some photos when I see something moving on my screen. It's a very small insect. I go to wipe it away with a lens cloth and that's when I realize it's inside my NEC PA272W! I guess I'll just hope it dies off soon...That's it right next to the yellow circle.
Title: Re: There is a bug inside my NEC!
Post by: Alan Klein on May 21, 2019, 09:37:59 pm
You're in good company.  Back in the 1940's when they were working on the first general purpose computer (I think it was the ENIAC), they found a problem that was causing failure. They finally tracked it down to a relay.  Inside the little box containing the relay was an insect, a bug, that kept getting bounced around causing erratic operation.  So the term "debugging" was coined. 
Title: Re: There is a bug inside my NEC!
Post by: Peter Brentlinger on May 22, 2019, 11:44:03 am
Thanks Alan, That's an interesting anecdote! I don't see the little bugger today so hopefully it's gone...
Title: Re: There is a bug inside my NEC!
Post by: PeterAit on May 31, 2019, 11:00:31 am
You're in good company.  Back in the 1940's when they were working on the first general purpose computer (I think it was the ENIAC), they found a problem that was causing failure. They finally tracked it down to a relay.  Inside the little box containing the relay was an insect, a bug, that kept getting bounced around causing erratic operation.  So the term "debugging" was coined.

I love that story!