Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: jrp55262 on August 30, 2018, 10:16:40 pm

Title: Aurora Art White has gained weight and I'm not happy...
Post by: jrp55262 on August 30, 2018, 10:16:40 pm
For the past few years we have been using Red River Aurora Art White as our to-go smooth fine art paper.  When my partner opened up a box recently to feed through our Epson Artisan 1430, she said "It feels heavier".  A little digging around reveals that Red River did in fact change the paper; as an "improvement" they said that they went from 250gsm to 285 "to enable heavier ink loads".  Unfortunately, the thicker paper has a much harder time going through the Epson.  Any recommendations for an equivalent paper in the 200-250gsm range?

Edited to add: Apparently the coating has changed as well.  Reminiscent of my experiences with HP Matte Litho-Realistic paper, the new coating is dustier and more friable.  My staff was complaining of respiratory distress while handling it, and a scratch test showed that the coating on the new paper came off as a powder where the old one did not. 
Title: Re: Aurora Art White has gained weight and I'm not happy...
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on August 31, 2018, 02:55:10 am
In the past Red River was not very accurate on the weight of their papers. What was advertised as 250 grams was just 230 grams a M² for the Aurora qualities.  Converting their lbs numbers to grams was not accurate either. Maybe the 285 now reaches the 250 gsm. The RR papers I got were weighed before I added their weight to the SpectrumViz list.

I have seen some resemblance between the Moab Entrada qualities and the Red River Aurora papers.. They are not 1:1 comparable, the coatings came close but the Moab had a better quality, possibly applied in more layers. Paper base differed too in quality and weights.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Title: Re: Aurora Art White has gained weight and I'm not happy...
Post by: jrp55262 on August 31, 2018, 12:47:14 pm
In the past Red River was not very accurate on the weight of their papers. What was advertised as 250 grams was just 230 grams a M² for the Aurora qualities. 

The absolute numbers are less important to me than the fact that the same catalog number now refers to a paper that is stiffer and has a less durable coating.  I sent a message in to RR asking if they had any old stock that I could exchange this for...
Title: Re: Aurora Art White has gained weight and I'm not happy...
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on September 01, 2018, 05:27:03 pm
The absolute numbers are less important to me than the fact that the same catalog number now refers to a paper that is stiffer and has a less durable coating.  I sent a message in to RR asking if they had any old stock that I could exchange this for...

I see some analogy in the flexible use of weight numbers and catalog numbers.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots