Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: pegelli on May 25, 2017, 05:00:59 am

Title: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: pegelli on May 25, 2017, 05:00:59 am
I think in line with the discussion on minimalism in the Coffee Corner (see here (http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=118068.0)) it might be good to start a thread here in user critiques to show us your minimalistic shots. Both opinions and feedback on the pictures is appreciated ;)

Let me start off with something that I think is on the edge of minimalistic

(https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/201705/i-7FPjQLZ/1/7f37a1a8/O/PEG_A7_1_0473_20170515%201.jpg) (https://pegelli.smugmug.com/Other/201705/i-7FPjQLZ/A)
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on May 25, 2017, 08:08:55 am
Let me start off with something that I think is on the edge of minimalistic


The question basically is:
What defines minimalism?

Imo it would be an image with a discernable subject (not necessarily a single subject mind you) maximally separated from it surrounds, usually involving lots of negative space.

While this may not be an exhaustive definition, it could perhaps serve as a litmuth test, and i believe the OP image fails in that there is no discernable subject of note?

Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: GrahamBy on May 25, 2017, 08:40:31 am
Hmmm... ?
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: RSL on May 25, 2017, 10:18:01 am
Hmmm. . . hmmmm. . . ?
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: pegelli on May 25, 2017, 11:14:45 am
Hmmm. . . hmmmm. . . ?
I think the only way to increase the degree of minimalism in that shot is to reduce the lens vignetting so the blue becomes more even.

On the other hand I would have never thought that checking your sensor for dust spots could result in a picture for this thread ;)
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: pegelli on May 25, 2017, 11:26:04 am
The question basically is:
What defines minimalism?

Imo it would be an image with a discernable subject (not necessarily a single subject mind you) maximally separated from it surrounds, usually involving lots of negative space.

While this may not be an exhaustive definition, it could perhaps serve as a litmuth test, and i believe the OP image fails in that there is no discernable subject of note?
If your definition stands my picture indeed doesn't meet it. I'm also not sure it's minimalistic either.
However pictures that meet your definition are most probably minimalistic but I find it too limiting and not all pictures behind the link in Russ' original post about minimalism in the coffee corner meet your definition either. Also Googling didn't immediately turn up a better definition. So maybe it's best for this thread to continue with discussion and examples to get more understanding of what a minimalistic photograph looks like.
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on May 25, 2017, 11:53:21 am
If your definition stands my picture indeed doesn't meet it. I'm also not sure it's minimalistic either.
However pictures that meet your definition are most probably minimalistic but I find it too limiting and not all pictures behind the link in Russ' original post about minimalism in the coffee corner meet your definition either. Also Googling didn't immediately turn up a better definition. So maybe it's best for this thread to continue with discussion and examples to get more understanding of what a minimalistic photograph looks like.

In my interpretation (of both the definition and images) i believe there are 2 images that specifically fail the test: the torso with flowershadows, and the prayer in the mosque. The latter image would actually be more of an image with so much going on, you may see something new each time you look at it. Maybe a definition of minimalism needs something negating complexity?
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: RSL on May 25, 2017, 12:22:43 pm
I think the only way to increase the degree of minimalism in that shot is to reduce the lens vignetting so the blue becomes more even.

On the other hand I would have never thought that checking your sensor for dust spots could result in a picture for this thread ;)

But you've gotta admit, Pieter, it's about as minimal as you can get. I thought about getting rid of the vignetting but I decided that might be going too far.
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: pegelli on May 25, 2017, 12:29:02 pm
But you've gotta admit, Pieter, it's about as minimal as you can get.
You're right Russ, did you get an emotional jolt taking that picture?
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: pegelli on May 25, 2017, 12:33:40 pm
In my interpretation (of both the definition and images) i believe there are 2 images that specifically fail the test: the torso with flowershadows, and the prayer in the mosque. The latter image would actually be more of an image with so much going on, you may see something new each time you look at it. Maybe a definition of minimalism needs something negating complexity?
I agree with you on the mosque, but the torso and flowers is something reduced to an almost abstract by not showing the whole and therefore closer to minimalist. There are some other shots where the surroundings/negative space becomes part of the subject (for instance the two people on the rim, the person in the stadium seat, the woman hanging from the cliff) and therefore fail (imo) your definition of a single sublject maximally separated from it surrounds while they still would be minimalist in my mind.
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: pegelli on May 25, 2017, 12:38:42 pm
I posted this one earlier in the sunrise/sunset thread but I think it's minimalist as well, at least I think it meets the definition

Sunrise in Galveston
(https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/201204/i-j6tTd2H/0/9c1f7869/O/PEG_A850_07175_20120424.jpg) (https://pegelli.smugmug.com/Other/201204/i-j6tTd2H/A)
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on May 25, 2017, 12:58:42 pm
I agree with you on the mosque, but the torso and flowers is something reduced to an almost abstract by not showing the whole and therefore closer to minimalist. There are some other shots where the surroundings/negative space becomes part of the subject (for instance the two people on the rim, the person in the stadium seat, the woman hanging from the cliff) and therefore fail (imo) your definition of a single sublject maximally separated from it surrounds while they still would be minimalist in my mind.

Ah, yes, but by separation i mean "visually distinct" or easily discernable. The subject becomes easily discernable because of minimizing visual stimulus of the surrounds, even though that may be complex patterning.

The torso is more about storytelling imo. There is more than one element that seems to demand our attention with very complex interaction or symbolism.

The odd exception though is this: what about a portrait separated from the background by beautiful backgroundblur?
Is that minimalist only if the head is smaller than 10% of the frame? Or if it is cropped to bare essentials? Maybe just the very side of the head, wrinkles near the eye just visible, so you can just make out the emotion?
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on May 25, 2017, 01:03:32 pm
I posted this one earlier in the sunrise/sunset thread but I think it's minimalist as well, at least I think it meets the definition


Something seems wrong with the global dynamic range, unless that's intentional of course.
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: pegelli on May 25, 2017, 02:56:11 pm
Ah, yes, but by separation i mean "visually distinct" or easily discernable. The subject becomes easily discernable because of minimizing visual stimulus of the surrounds, even though that may be complex patterning.

The torso is more about storytelling imo. There is more than one element that seems to demand our attention with very complex interaction or symbolism.

The odd exception though is this: what about a portrait separated from the background by beautiful backgroundblur?
Is that minimalist only if the head is smaller than 10% of the frame? Or if it is cropped to bare essentials? Maybe just the very side of the head, wrinkles near the eye just visible, so you can just make out the emotion?
Well for me the picture of the people on the rim is all about the texture, lines and shades of the surrounding and not about the people. Also the woman hanging off the cliff could do without the ship on the other side of the horizon if you want ultimate focus on the subject. I see your point about the torso/shadows not being merely minimalistic.

The example of the portrait I think is hard to generalize, but I agree the face can't fill the majority of the frame.

And my Galveston sunset was indeed processed to be a bit dark and limited DR, to preserve the early sunrise mood. For me using the full available DR spoils the image.
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Telecaster on May 25, 2017, 04:20:16 pm
In keeping with a low DR approach…

-Dave-
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on May 25, 2017, 04:45:30 pm
The M of Minimalism?
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: James Clark on May 25, 2017, 04:49:03 pm
I've posted this here before (long ago), but this remains one of my favorite images ever (as well as the only one to take home an Epson Pano Award when cropped).
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: James Clark on May 25, 2017, 04:53:40 pm
The M of Minimalism?

I experiment with this composition a bunch.  I dig the subject in the corner :)
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on May 25, 2017, 05:04:00 pm
I experiment with this composition a bunch.  I dig the subject in the corner :)

Oh wow, that one is absolutely brilliant. Sky, subject, and placement just work extremely well here. That one would be cool on a large print with that massive (but not overprocessed) sky.

I'm contemplating a cornercomp with a buttercup flower and blue sky. Buttercup being my favourite flower because of its extraordinary warm yellowish color. It should fit well with a blue sky, and since it is a relatively small flower, it should give a nice emphasis in such a minimalism cornercomp.

Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on May 25, 2017, 05:07:04 pm
In keeping with a low DR approach…

-Dave-

Yes, scifinovelcover. (triple word value...!)
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on May 25, 2017, 05:09:27 pm
I've posted this here before (long ago), but this remains one of my favorite images ever (as well as the only one to take home an Epson Pano Award when cropped).

This one is interesting for discussion's sake: is this minimalism, and if so, why? (open question, not a judgement).

I would not initially consider this minimalism, as there are too many elements combining to form the mood.
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on May 25, 2017, 06:24:14 pm
I have already shown these in the past on the abstract thread. But I want to underline the point that snow scenes are very conducive to minimalist imagery. Maybe it's a first for the second image.

JR

(https://photos.smugmug.com/On-a-winters-day/i-nMRnkXT/0/4d07381d/M/Dec%2031-12%20Bftn%20%26%20Caledon%20115%20cropcopy2-1000-M.jpg)

(https://photos.smugmug.com/On-a-winters-day/i-DBvhcCB/0/823d7e1a/M/Feb%2013-11%20Montrose%20068%20bwcopy-1000-M.jpg)


Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: GrahamBy on May 26, 2017, 08:35:50 am
You could probably define some ad hoc criterion, like requiring that passing the tiff through an image compression algorithm set to a fixed quality results in a reduction of file size by at least X times... It would be interesting to see if that correlated with subjective opinion :)
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: BobDavid on May 26, 2017, 09:07:05 am
Hmmm. . . hmmmm. . . ?

I think you might want to crop out a bit on the left-hand side. Otherwise, +1.
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on May 26, 2017, 07:06:08 pm
Minimally yours,
(https://photos.smugmug.com/On-a-winters-day/i-v4fHZ2j/0/a26bff1b/M/Jan%2022-11%20Badlands%20028%20cleancopy1000-M.jpg)

(https://photos.smugmug.com/On-a-winters-day/i-wVM4sG9/0/5362672b/M/Jan%2022-11%20Badlands%20030%20cleancopy1000-M.jpg)


Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: RSL on May 26, 2017, 07:53:11 pm
I think you might want to crop out a bit on the left-hand side. Otherwise, +1.

I'm afraid that might make it too minimal, Bob. It's pretty much the same problem I ran into deciding about the vignetting.
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 26, 2017, 07:54:50 pm
I've posted this here before (long ago), but this remains one of my favorite images ever (as well as the only one to take home an Epson Pano Award when cropped).

Great shot!
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: KMRennie on May 27, 2017, 10:45:10 am
Pond Life. Jura Mountains, France.
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 27, 2017, 12:12:09 pm
How about this one?

Jeremy
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 27, 2017, 12:16:57 pm
How about this one?

Not really (for me). But this might work:
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 27, 2017, 12:22:49 pm
Not really (for me). But this might work:

Yes, certainly more minimal. Although I'd prefer to keep the rock off-centre.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on May 27, 2017, 01:34:46 pm
Yes, certainly more minimal. Although I'd prefer to keep the rock off-centre.

Jeremy
I don't quite agree with Slobodan on this one. I find it is quite minimalistic. Once the image is enlarged you can see it is really an oval resting on a triangle. And the somewhat over-sharpened granite (at least to me) becomes a background for the major shapes. Small it looks very busy, I think because of the sharpness of the granite which cause you to focus on the granite texture. Maybe you can diffuse the background a bit and allow the edges that create the shapes to be sharp. Can it be more minimalistic? Yes, but it then becomes a different composition and this one is reasonably minimalistic to me and, less the over-sharpened granite, quite good to my eyes.

JR
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: KMRennie on May 28, 2017, 07:53:30 am
Are their too many rocks for a minimalist shot? Kem
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 28, 2017, 08:48:58 am
Are their too many rocks for a minimalist shot? Kem
Yes. But it is a lovely shot and would fit well in a "semi-minimalist" thread.   ;)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: pegelli on May 28, 2017, 09:10:59 am
Are their too many rocks for a minimalist shot? Kem
I think the border between minimal and minimalistic is broad and fuzzy. This probably isn't minimalistic but indeed a lovely shot.
Based on Eric's suggestion I will see if I can change the title of the thread  :)

I think this one also would fit on that broad and fuzzy border.

Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on May 28, 2017, 09:41:48 am
Why don't you just call it "Without prejudice 3" so everything's fair game and be done with it?

Or start a "Zen" thread, which is where the stones would fit well.

Minimalism is about reduction, not inclusion! ;-)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: pegelli on May 28, 2017, 09:58:45 am
Why don't you just call it "Without prejudice 3" so everything's fair game and be done with it?

Or start a "Zen" thread, which is where the stones would fit well.

Minimalism is about reduction, not inclusion! ;-)
"Without prejudice" is without critique, only positive opinions.
Here I fully accept discussion of what's "in" or "out". Posting "out" is no problem as long as the poster can live with other people judging it that way.

But if you want to start a "pure minimalism without prejudice" thread feel free to do so, nobody will stop you.  ;) 
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on May 28, 2017, 10:10:35 am
It was meant as a figure of speech. Without prejudice kind of being the (tongue-in-cheek) lula garbagecanthread, where everything goes that doesn't seem to fit a category.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: luxborealis on May 28, 2017, 11:09:57 am
I'll throw my hat in...
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 28, 2017, 11:58:21 am
Nice one, Terry.

I'll play:

(http://www.slobodanblagojevic.com/img/s/v-2/p1634080379-2.jpg) (http://www.slobodanblagojevic.com/p1025007936/e6166167b)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 28, 2017, 12:07:55 pm
Sorry, Terry and Slobo,

These don't fit the "semi-" part of the revised thread. They are both excellent examples of Pure Minimalism.

Eric
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: pegelli on May 28, 2017, 12:19:44 pm
How about this one, I think it fits

(https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/201203/i-4p7N6Wk/1/150f9aa2/O/PEG_Nex_01006_20120325.jpg) (https://pegelli.smugmug.com/Other/201203/i-4p7N6Wk/A)
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 28, 2017, 01:00:35 pm
I don't quite agree with Slobodan on this one. I find it is quite minimalistic. Once the image is enlarged you can see it is really an oval resting on a triangle. And the somewhat over-sharpened granite (at least to me) becomes a background for the major shapes. Small it looks very busy, I think because of the sharpness of the granite which cause you to focus on the granite texture. Maybe you can diffuse the background a bit and allow the edges that create the shapes to be sharp. Can it be more minimalistic? Yes, but it then becomes a different composition and this one is reasonably minimalistic to me and, less the over-sharpened granite, quite good to my eyes.

Interesting view, John. I'll have a bash at your suggestion. I don't think the granite is over-sharpened, though: the raw (from my old 20D with the 17-85 kit lens) has had only minor capture sharpening in LR (A40/R0.8/D50/M0).

Jeremy
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 28, 2017, 01:50:45 pm
There's a line, somewhere, between "minimalist" and "boring".

Jeremy
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on May 28, 2017, 02:05:39 pm
There's a line, somewhere, between "minimalist" and "boring".

Jeremy

And this one sits safely at the minimalist side. Very, very safely i might add...
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 28, 2017, 04:02:32 pm
And this one sits safely at the minimalist side. Very, very safely i might add...
+1.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on May 29, 2017, 12:37:18 pm
I think this one is minimalistic because the subject-scene is sparse and the focus is on shadows and forms.

JR

(https://photos.smugmug.com/Pictorials/i-qgXx8ww/0/e2d7078b/M/March%205-%202017%20Downtown%20Toronto%20020%20bwcopy-1000-M.jpg)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: James Clark on May 29, 2017, 05:06:47 pm
There's a line, somewhere, between "minimalist" and "boring".

Jeremy

That's a pretty terrific shot.   The color and composition work wonderfully together.
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: James Clark on May 29, 2017, 05:07:13 pm
Great shot!

Thanks!   I like your and Terry's shots at the bottom of page 2 as well. 

(go back and check 'em out of anyone missed 'em!)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: James Clark on May 29, 2017, 05:22:34 pm
Here's a composition similar to Pieter's above.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: HSakols on May 30, 2017, 09:37:11 am
We had to walk.

Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Telecaster on May 30, 2017, 04:15:10 pm
Riffing on Hugh's photo. Via iPhone.

-Dave-
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: drmike on May 30, 2017, 05:10:31 pm
Well I suppose it does now say semi minimalist and of course the judgement is totally subjective but I find the signs somewhat detailed for minimalist, there are words to read :)

Mike
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on May 30, 2017, 05:37:47 pm
Well I suppose it does now say semi minimalist and of course the judgement is totally subjective but I find the signs somewhat detailed for minimalist, there are words to read :)

Mike
Actually, I think the image is minimalist. It's all about the sparseness of the scene and how the subject interacts with that scene. By counter-posing the sign against the vastness of the scene, we are forced to look at the sign as a way to study that very relationship.

JR
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: drmike on May 31, 2017, 02:32:45 am
OK, we don't agree is all.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on June 01, 2017, 11:43:30 pm
The seeds are not far from the trunk.

JR

(https://photos.smugmug.com/RBG-impressions/i-dVj9Kxp/0/9c5f2b2e/M/May%2016-%202014_0010%20copy1000-M.jpg)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: drmike on June 02, 2017, 12:45:03 pm
Meets the standards?
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on June 02, 2017, 09:29:26 pm
Sure. But I think of this more as an abstract.

JR
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 02, 2017, 11:30:40 pm
Sure. But I think of this more as an abstract.

JR
So another question we can have a lengthy debate about is this:

Can an image be both minimalist and abstract at the same time?   ;)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on June 03, 2017, 12:06:26 am
So another question we can have a lengthy debate about is this:

Can an image be both minimalist and abstract at the same time?   ;)
Yes, I agree Eric. In some cases it is quite obvious. These categories are elastic and intertwined anyway, like most art.

JR
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: drmike on June 03, 2017, 02:28:55 am
I'd have thought it was a given that an abstract can be minimalist. But what do I know :)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: James Clark on June 07, 2017, 01:31:26 pm
One Gull
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on June 12, 2017, 05:08:48 pm
"Opium Slumming"
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on September 29, 2017, 10:20:07 am
Felt a need to revive this thread
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: pegelli on September 29, 2017, 03:50:39 pm
Felt a need to revive this thread
Good thinking
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: JNB_Rare on September 29, 2017, 03:58:04 pm
Felt a need to revive this thread

Lovely shot for the revival!
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 29, 2017, 04:00:28 pm
I think this qualifies as (semi) Minimalist.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 29, 2017, 04:01:49 pm
And maybe this one.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: francois on October 02, 2017, 05:17:47 am
Here's one (at least according to me):

Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 02, 2017, 02:54:02 pm
Here's one (at least according to me):

I like that.

Jeremy
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 02, 2017, 06:09:07 pm
I like that.

Jeremy
Me too.
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Alskoj on October 02, 2017, 07:00:50 pm
I posted this one earlier in the sunrise/sunset thread but I think it's minimalist as well, at least I think it meets the definition

Sunrise in Galveston
(https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/201204/i-j6tTd2H/0/9c1f7869/O/PEG_A850_07175_20120424.jpg) (https://pegelli.smugmug.com/Other/201204/i-j6tTd2H/A)
I really like your photo!  It's quiet, has a good anchor and the lighting/colors are like Enya's Watermark.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Alskoj on October 02, 2017, 07:12:09 pm
Here's a stump sticking up from a local pond.  Early morning shot towards the sunrise.  Long exposure with an ND filter.
(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4508/37462075151_7094a344e2_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/Z5oVMr)Stumpy-1 (https://flic.kr/p/Z5oVMr) by Joseph Alsko (https://www.flickr.com/photos/20yearsusaf/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Alskoj on October 02, 2017, 07:16:34 pm
The M of Minimalism?
Very creative!  It inspires me to look at scenes differently.
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: pegelli on October 03, 2017, 04:24:12 am
I really like your photo!  It's quiet, has a good anchor and the lighting/colors are like Enya's Watermark.
Thank you. I like your "stump" as well, the long exposure makes the water look like ice with no distracting details.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Rob C on October 03, 2017, 07:04:18 am
I guess many here must be very young.

Have a look at the work of Aaron Siskind.

https://www.google.es/search?q=aaron+siskind+imagenes&rlz=1C2PRFE_enES586ES586&dcr=0&tbm=isch&imgil=Y0srRVc7YTR_AM%253A%253BjSWQsSzHHC4sfM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fgaleriafotocreativa.com%25252Ffiguras-abstractas-de-aaron-siskind%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=Y0srRVc7YTR_AM%253A%252CjSWQsSzHHC4sfM%252C_&usg=__kr9HhDeOd5I1em4lRu3ihkJejBo%3D&biw=1246&bih=888&ved=0ahUKEwj9p8HL2dTWAhXLLFAKHbc4CUgQyjcIRg&ei=faPTWb31OMvZwAK38aTABA#imgrc=Y0srRVc7YTR_AM:

Rob
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: GrahamBy on October 03, 2017, 08:10:48 am
Hmm, lessee...
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 03, 2017, 09:00:09 am
Hmm, lessee...
Yes!
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on October 03, 2017, 09:12:22 am
What's with the sudden outburst of great images in this thread? Everybody apparently got these great nuggets laying around and not posting them, or what?
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Rob C on October 03, 2017, 10:51:44 am
What's with the sudden outburst of great images in this thread? Everybody apparently got these great nuggets laying around and not posting them, or what?

Everybody has tried to be somebody else; everybody has.

;-)

Rob
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on October 03, 2017, 11:46:33 am
Everybody has tried to be somebody else; everybody has.

To imitate or to emulate, that is the question!
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Rob C on October 03, 2017, 02:30:05 pm
To imitate or to emulate, that is the question!


Or to sleep, and then hell only knows what dreams may come.

The problem with the photographic condition re the foregoing, is this: the more one learns about the past, then the more one is bound to realise that everything that one does - with or without conscious reference to another photograph (not photographer so much) fails to be new. (Maybe, for our sanity, we really should avoid the knowledge that it's all stale news.) I believe that the imaginable photographic genres and treatments were all done decades ago round about the mid/late-50s. By then, film was perfectly capable of letting a skilled photographer photograph anything anywhere he wanted to photograph and in any way he chose.

I chose that period, the - fifties - as the time by when it had all already done because the money was flowing in advertising and magazines were king. With the floods of cash came amazing competition and the brightest minds in photography were given licence to play. That lasted for another couple of decades or so, and then it all started to go backwards as print faded in importance and advertisers found they could use "the crowd" as source for much material around the lower edges. When you chop out the lower professional layers of any pyramid the top inevitably finds itself getting closer to the bottom.

The thing is, you can take pretty much any photograph that get's published in LuLa (probably anywhere, for that matter) and almost instantly point to a much older one almost exactly the same - at least in execution. It's one of the reasons that I don't indulge in critique: what's to comment when nothing is new - if pointing it out in specific cases can only cause unhappiness? To clap one's hands in faux appreciation is cynical, and ultimately harmful to the "artist".

Yet another way in which painting can smirk at photography calling itself an art.

Rob
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on October 03, 2017, 03:50:14 pm
But what's wrong then with praising a well executed copy?
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Rob C on October 03, 2017, 05:18:10 pm
But what's wrong then with praising a well executed copy?

Were it a technical challenge, a project openly to ape another photographer, then not a problem. I don't see images posted under those terms. I see people thinking they are showing something new, that they have found a 'voice', as it were.

How many images has LuLa shown of somebody walking past an advertisement in such a manner as to look as if the subject in the ad poster is interacting with them; how many slow-shutter waterfalls or beaches do we need to understand that motion produces an overall water blurr... it always did and probably always will unless digi cameras all end up with crazed native ISOs that outwit ND filers... How many Suns do we have to see in order to understand that what rises also sets. How many birds does it take to prove they have wings and can move them pretty damned fast, but not faster than somebody's autofocus can track 'em; do you see the problem, the futility of it all without mission?

I can understand why some photographers end up crazed, alone and alcoholic or making arsenals. It can be a very destructive life if you get too close and in love with it.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on October 03, 2017, 05:33:00 pm
do you see the problem, the futility of it all without mission?

Yes, i do.

But you can't blame todays fisherman for catching fish they don't actually need for nourishment or survival. We are all amateurs, but for some the result really is just a hobby.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: farbschlurf on October 04, 2017, 03:57:40 am
Were it a technical challenge, a project openly to ape another photographer, then not a problem. I don't see images posted under those terms. I see people thinking they are showing something new, that they have found a 'voice', as it were.

Well, I think a good share of the people here have some knowledge of photo-history and indeed strive to repeat something, somehow, more or less, even if they do not say so explicitly. But I assume there's more awareness about that, than in many other places.

(Maybe little OT: I'm a book-designer/ layouter and was really puzzled many years ago when I first visited the Gutenberg-Museum in Mainz. They have not only that famous first printed bibles, but a rather big collection of the first printed books dating before 1500, so called incunabulums. The interesting thing is, that the type-setters back than really "did it all" within few decades of the than new media. Some pages and spreads would perfectly fit in todays "fancy magazines" and such ...)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: GrahamBy on October 04, 2017, 04:25:23 am
(There is a museum of printing in Lyon that impressed me... perhaps because my father was a printer and the end stages of the museum were familiar from my childhood!
Also the fact that Lyon once had a flourishing printing industry because it was more liberal than Geneva, so free thinkers would publish in Lyon to avoid imprisonment at the hands of the Helvetic Catholics... then some years later, post-reformation the current reversed its flow.)

Back to "everything has been done."

Yes, but... if Doisneau and HCB and Peter Turner pretty much exhausted all the formal novelty possible within street photography... they were also photographing the human condition. If HCB turned his photos upside down to better see the abstract geometry, he wasn't making photograms, the formal structure was a scaffold on which he displayed people. So then Avedon got quite a bit of milage from sticking heads and bodies in front of white seamless, apparently eschewing formal structure in favour of capturing the individual... except his individuals were also "types".

That seems to me the real challenge of representational art, to capture something about the human condition which is neither so general that it is old news ("White trash woman high-school graduate from poor mid-west town #23") nor so specific that it is of interest only to Nora Bloggs and her closest relatives. In that sense, novels are also representational art facing the same struggle. It's tempting to say that people are still writing novels, but a visit to the second-hand book markets on Sunday morning is terrifying for anyone who imagines becoming a writer.

Maybe Warhol knew something when he said a good photo is one that is in focus and contains a famous person... that the only true remaining art is the performance of celebrity and its documenation. Or maybe that is irrelevant, and the answer is in Camus, of Sisyphus continually pushing his rock up the hill, in order to experience the pushing.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Rob C on October 04, 2017, 04:39:00 am
Yes, i do.

But you can't blame todays fisherman for catching fish they don't actually need for nourishment or survival. We are all amateurs, but for some the result really is just a hobby.

Au contraire! I certainly do disapprove of needless killing; who are we to decide when something has to die for our "fun" and perverted sense of achievement? I have more than once sat down to an indifferent restaurant meal and thought: to think that a fish had to die for this! One bad fish dish and I never order fish there again. This partly accounts for the shortening list of places where I go to eat. And this a coastal town! Currently, I'm down to two. As both close over the winter, I shall be fighting more than the cold for the next few months. One old guy I sometimes see sitting on his stool by the entrance to the yacht club does it to pass the time as his wife plays cards within the clubhouse; he catches almost nothing, and what he does he throws back to the sea. Of course, the poor fish may have caught an infection from the hook removal, or simply have a temporary toothache - who am I to know?

And it's not just fish: one place I use does (usually) perfect calf's liver. Last week I had it as normal, but rather than calf, I think it was a veteran of seasons of bullfights. Of course, as poor animals are tortured to the death in those places - the rings, not the restaurants - to great cheers and pomp and circumstance, I know it couldn't really have been a successful fighter, but it still makes me wonder ever more about the human psyche and what kinds of monster we may all be hiding inside ourselves. Is it really any wonder that we spawn the terrorists that we do, when we all have religious histories built on mass murder in the name of greater beings?

But back to the pictures, or more accuarately, the postings: I think one could split the forum into two groups: a tiny, tiny one that lives for images and a vast majority membership that makes the ocassional image - just to test the equipment's a keeper, you understand, and in the case of it not meeting standards (personal), the added fun of recounting the return battles, the more the merrier.

I don't think it was ever so. I think this is a fairly recent development in photography. Was a time when it took skills and much learning (much, but not difficult at all); when to enter the world of photography meant you were going to spend your private time on it. Today, you can spend your employer's time on it instead, right there in your cubicle. How cute is that? Consequently, where folks once thought you sightly odd if you claimed to be a photographer, today everybody's doing it and so it means nothing at all.

Dedicated photographers are as socially disenfranchised today as is their skill and, sometimes, unexpected art.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Rob C on October 04, 2017, 05:00:33 am
Well, I think a good share of the people here have some knowledge of photo-history and indeed strive to repeat something, somehow, more or less, even if they do not say so explicitly. But I assume there's more awareness about that, than in many other places.

(Maybe little OT: I'm a book-designer/ layouter and was really puzzled many years ago when I first visited the Gutenberg-Museum in Mainz. They have not only that famous first printed bibles, but a rather big collection of the first printed books dating before 1500, so called incunabulums. The interesting thing is, that the type-setters back than really "did it all" within few decades of the than new media. Some pages and spreads would perfectly fit in todays "fancy magazines" and such ...)


Typography is one of the greatest skills and talents in art. All our printed stuff depends on it for status and some added gravitas. It's what made Nova look so cool, and another reason why the international editions of Vogue are all somewhat different.

I ran into it first-hand when I started to produce bespoke company calendars as a living, and an additional outlet for my photography. The artwork was bloody difficult, and I soon found myself frozen into using Helvetica for almost everything! As for mixing faces, that was as terrifying as walking into the wrong neighbourhood (which I never did, my sense of self-preservation being far too strong. Or cowardice: it's a choice of attitude). Combining blocks of image and copy wasn't difficult - just an extension of the shape of the overall picture, I suppose, but the detail and signature that typeface creates of itself is something which, to handle well, I think is a gift apart.

https://www.pentagram.com/

The above worked miracles for the UK publishing and advertising industry.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Rob C on October 04, 2017, 05:25:04 am
(There is a museum of printing in Lyon that impressed me... perhaps because my father was a printer and the end stages of the museum were familiar from my childhood!
Also the fact that Lyon once had a flourishing printing industry because it was more liberal than Geneva, so free thinkers would publish in Lyon to avoid imprisonment at the hands of the Helvetic Catholics... then some years later, post-reformation the current reversed its flow.)

Back to "everything has been done."

Yes, but... if Doisneau and HCB and Peter Turner pretty much exhausted all the formal novelty possible within street photography... they were also photographing the human condition. If HCB turned his photos upside down to better see the abstract geometry, he wasn't making photograms, the formal structure was a scaffold on which he displayed people. So then Avedon got quite a bit of milage from sticking heads and bodies in front of white seamless, apparently eschewing formal structure in favour of capturing the individual... except his individuals were also "types".

That seems to me the real challenge of representational art, to capture something about the human condition which is neither so general that it is old news ("White trash woman high-school graduate from poor mid-west town #23") nor so specific that it is of interest only to Nora Bloggs and her closest relatives. In that sense, novels are also representational art facing the same struggle. It's tempting to say that people are still writing novels, but a visit to the second-hand book markets on Sunday morning are terrifying for anyone who imagine becoming a writer.

Maybe Warhol knew something when he said a good photo is one that is in focus and contains a famous person... that the only true remaining art is the performance of celebrity and its documenation. Or maybe that is irrelevant, and the answer is in Camus, of Sisyphus continually pushing his rock up the hill, in order to experience the pushing.

You know what I think? HC-B's upside down trick was the result of an accident: he was caught looking at somebody's contacts that way by mistake, and he realised he'd better not admit it had been an error, that his eyesight wasn't shit-hot. It then became a myth-of-his-own-time and passed down into photographic history. Frankly, it's bullshit. If you want to prove that for yourself, just put your favourite image on the monitor, reverse it, and it looks terrible. You can't change the dynamic like that without huge penalty. Unless, of course, your favourite picture is of a telegraph pole in the centre of the image in the Nevada desert.

You wanted Sisyphus? We're old friends: my task is keeping together the fiscal and physical status quo. For the local farmer it's keeping the stone walls vertical rather than horizontal. For the local hotels it's trying to have the illegal lettings actually closed, when half of the local council owns such properties. It's like I mentioned elsewhere on LuLa in connection with Bexit: where Britain passes laws and tends to observe them, here they say yes, of course, and just look the other way. We should have learned to live the Communal way as well as our own. Instead, harakiri. Ours.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: GrahamBy on October 04, 2017, 06:13:46 am
just put your favourite image on the monitor, reverse it, and it looks terrible.

Now there's a theme: reversible images :)

It's true that even a simple triangle-pointing-up gives a different vibe that a triangle-pointing-down...

I think I read the upside-down story in an interview with René Burri, who may have been a dupe, or a co-conspirator... so your theory is credible ;)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: pegelli on October 04, 2017, 07:38:17 am
I don't see images posted under those terms. I see people thinking they are showing something new, that they have found a 'voice', as it were.
Is that really true? Aren't people just trying to show something pleasing (for themselves and maybe also for other viewers) irrespective if it's been done before or not.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Rob C on October 04, 2017, 07:58:58 am
Is that really true? Aren't people just trying to show something pleasing (for themselves and maybe also for other viewers) irrespective if it's been done before or not.


That's entirely possible, but if it is, I'd be rather surprised. It takes a bit of a strong belief in something to post it as your work. Or at least, it used to.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on October 04, 2017, 08:28:34 am
Au contraire! I certainly do disapprove of needless killing; who are we to decide when something has to die for our "fun" and perverted sense of achievement?

Well, yes, we are in agreement there. Better make that worthwhile. Moreover, the way we treat livestock prior to it serving as our food, is another indicator of our questionable indifference in superiority.

Even for the digital age one could wonder if all the energy required to serve irrelevant information which also requires additional effort to be curated and filtered, is actually a waste of significant proportions. And I'm not just talking pictures here.

Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on October 04, 2017, 08:35:08 am
I do believe that our day and age comes with different idiosyncrasies than yesteryears', and they may well be made visible by current photographers with true and tried methods of visualisation. But then again, that may be the "mission" mostly missing as mentioned.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Rob C on October 04, 2017, 08:46:39 am
Well, yes, we are in agreement there. Better make that worthwhile. Moreover, the way we treat livestock prior to it serving as our food, is another indicator of our questionable indifference in superiority.

Even for the digital age one could wonder if all the energy required to serve irrelevant information which also requires additional effort to be curated and filtered, is actually a waste of significant proportions. And I'm not just talking pictures here.

You'd have my vote if you were running for President and we were Americans.

One of my first commissions on going freelance was to shoot the first run-through of a new, local abattoir, and show the various sections at work... I did it in a state of suspended horror, much as I think I'd have lived a life of being a war photographer. I had no idea what to expect.

The memory that I permit to resurface now and again is the face of a cow in a stockade outside the building as I walked away after my gig. She looked me in the eye and I blinked first. She knew everything. I apologised and went to the car and away from there as rapidly as I could. The stench of death remained in my nostrils for at least a week.  I am no vegetarian, but there has to be a better way of getting that steak. And yes, the nonchalance with which those guys in rubber aprons went about their work was also an eye-opener.

I found a link somewhere that worked out the electrical generation footprint that it takes to send and archive a simple e-mail. It is also horrific and asks the question: wouldn't life and the planet be a better place without the expense in reserves to provide all this digital shit called entertainment and social media?

Rob
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: GrahamBy on October 04, 2017, 11:30:34 am
wouldn't life and the planet be a better place without the expense in reserves to provide all this digital shit called entertainment and social media?

Probably, but most of the voters are addicts...

Think about the failure of (alcohol) prohibition, the reasons no one has ever seriously attempted to ban tobacco, and the continued failure of every attempt to prohibit prostitution.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: farbschlurf on October 05, 2017, 04:21:41 am
Tonight (I couldn't sleep anyway) another metaphor for that "just copy others"-thing came to my mind; maybe coming back to the topic a little bit:

Imagine an athlete. Say 100m sprint. When he strives and practices he will get faster. But how likely is it, he will get the world record in his first race? Or the second ... zero chance. Obviously he will start slowly and will initially have times like 50 or even 150 years ago. If he would say: "that is what others did long time ago, it's not worth doing that again", he would never come to the point when he could, maybe, surpass his predecessors. He has to go through those stages where he is only as fast and good as somebody has been already, before. Only after that he is - if he is very lucky - able to reach new ground. There's just no way to avoid this. And many, many athletes never will come close to a world record. But they still strive and try and practice ...

Of course (and I guess that's what Rob C and others meant) it's absolutely dumb for an athlete to run, not to know about how fast others are, just claiming proudly "look, I'm the fastest".

The example is one-dimensional, so it's not fitting very good on something as multi-dimensional as photography (I don't take the word "art" in my mouth), but I hope it's possible to get the point.

(So much about what to think about in sleepless nights ...)


Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: GrahamBy on October 05, 2017, 06:13:50 am

it's absolutely dumb for an athlete to run, not to know about how fast others are, just claiming proudly "look, I'm the fastest".

I wonder what van Gogh thought about competing with other painters as he circulated in and around the asylum in Arles ?

Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on October 05, 2017, 07:29:24 am
I wonder what van Gogh thought about competing with other painters as he circulated in and around the asylum in Arles ?

He did discuss trends extensively with his brother, as well as with fellow artists, but eventually decided that what people wanted was not what he wanted (to paint).
Good for us, not so good for him, I suppose.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Rob C on October 06, 2017, 10:39:12 am
He did discuss trends extensively with his brother, as well as with fellow artists, but eventually decided that what people wanted was not what he wanted (to paint).
Good for us, not so good for him, I suppose.


The secret is to be hot when you're alive.

But that's not enough: you have to remain hot, which is mechanically difficult as you run out of steam.

Not directly connected, I think, though it might be: there's a world of difference between an intellectual approach to one's oeuvre and a spiritual one. Perhaps, as with the rest of us, Vince might have been better advised to adopt the intellectual one. And there's the rub: how do you overcome one side of your nature with reason when half of yourself isn't reasonable? Do you even have a 50:50 chance of pulling it off?

Picasso pulled it off, but then he was from Malaga and left to l¡ve in France, which shows you he knew a good thing when he saw it.

Rob
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Telecaster on October 06, 2017, 04:29:42 pm
I fully admit that I take photos not because I’m in any way driven to but because it sharpens my perceptual skills. And it’s a technical challenge too, which my analytically-oriented brain enjoys. Also the doing of it, the heightened state of awareness that sometimes happens, is pleasurable.

People like van Gogh fascinate and delight me both because they’re so throughly other to my own experience and also because their particular kind of otherness leads to such outpourings of creative richness. Even as it often eats them up.

-Dave-
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Rob C on October 07, 2017, 06:12:51 am
I fully admit that I take photos not because I’m in any way driven to but because it sharpens my perceptual skills. And it’s a technical challenge too, which my analytically-oriented brain enjoys. Also the doing of it, the heightened state of awareness that sometimes happens, is pleasurable.

People like van Gogh fascinate and delight me both because they’re so throughly other to my own experience and also because their particular kind of otherness leads to such outpourings of creative richness. Even as it often eats them up.

-Dave-


In which way do you find photography a technical challenge? Digital has removed most of the challenges that filmies had to learn to handle - not overcome, because one can't do the impossible - but certainly one did learn to appreciate the limits and perhaps use them to some degree of effect - or even as a signature style, in some cases.

Perceptual skills? They lie as the foundations of the visual arts. Without them already in place, one hasn't a prayer. But yes, there can be no doubt that during the doing, there is a huge surge of buzz; I used to find the end of a good studio session always left me flat, and I had to drive myself to go into the darkroom to process what I was being paid to do: the business was simply the means of financing my love for the world of fashion and calendar art; the end of a great trip was even worse: all I could think of doing was planning some way of doing the next one. On the other hand, there had been some that couildn't end quickly enough for me. But they were rare, thank God.

I remember being near Glasgow Airport one day and looking up at some aircraft going somewhere and knowing that there was nothing known ahead that was going to get me up there. I never enjoyed flying very much, but what it signified, which was not holidays, was huge in my life and dreams.

Your observation that creative richness can be destructive is all too true. There are many such causualties. Unfortunately, artistic talent alone is not the key to success in life.

;-(

Rob
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Telecaster on October 07, 2017, 04:20:40 pm
In which way do you find photography a technical challenge? Digital has removed most of the challenges that filmies had to learn to handle - not overcome, because one can't do the impossible - but certainly one did learn to appreciate the limits and perhaps use them to some degree of effect - or even as a signature style, in some cases.

One reason I’ve returned to the Leicas for general pic taking is that they require you to do more. During my last trail walk I gave myself a brief: take photos in bright daylight with a wide open fast lens and mostly place the point of focus well off-center (focus & recompose). This made me work harder, which made the process (and my walk) more enjoyable. I looked at my surroundings differently. I took a selfie in a toilet.  :D

-Dave-
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Rob C on October 08, 2017, 01:03:49 pm
One reason I’ve returned to the Leicas for general pic taking is that they require you to do more. During my last trail walk I gave myself a brief: take photos in bright daylight with a wide open fast lens and mostly place the point of focus well off-center (focus & recompose). This made me work harder, which made the process (and my walk) more enjoyable. I looked at my surroundings differently. I took a selfie in a toilet.  :D

-Dave-

Then you chose the wrong weapon: I've set my two old diggies up to as close as dammit filmic control just to uncomplicate my life. However, if you want complex, revert back to digital modes and those two mothers can offer more complications than a typewriter gone wrong. They could offer you as much difficulty as any masochist could possibly dream about. You could even throw in chimping, just to round off the steps to each shot.

The one digital camera blessing I swear by, and not at, is Nikon's Matrix metering.

;-)

Rob
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on October 08, 2017, 01:54:02 pm
The turning of the seasons
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Rob C on October 08, 2017, 02:14:10 pm
Very beautiful, Oscar.

Rob
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Telecaster on October 08, 2017, 03:25:08 pm
Then you chose the wrong weapon: I've set my two old diggies up to as close as dammit filmic control just to uncomplicate my life. However, if you want complex, revert back to digital modes and those two mothers can offer more complications than a typewriter gone wrong. They could offer you as much difficulty as any masochist could possibly dream about. You could even throw in chimping, just to round off the steps to each shot.

Eeek, no.  :)  Don’t want complex. Simple requires more fundamental work but it’s engaging & enjoyable work. For the same reason I can’t abide knob-laden guitar amps or programmable multi-effect gizmos. Give me a simple amp and a handful of floor pedals with two or three controls each, no presets, and I’m a happy guy.

-Dave-
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Telecaster on October 08, 2017, 03:27:10 pm
The turning of the seasons

Lovely! A superior take on something I tried some weeks ago but never captured to my satisfaction.

-Dave-
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 08, 2017, 05:03:48 pm
Very beautiful, Oscar.

Rob
+1.

Around where I live there is no good Fall color yet. Many leaves have just turned dark brown and fallen off without turning colorful first. All because of drought.
I hope we get some color from the remaining leaves soon.   :(

Eric
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Rob C on October 08, 2017, 06:00:42 pm
There is a beautiful public park about a hundred or hundred and fifty yards from where I used to live in Glasgow. The trees were very tall and very old - the place was once a private estate complete with mansion house later k-o'd when the local govt. took it over and realised what it cost to maintain. No more house, and some of the trees have been blown down. But, when I lived there, the autumn colours were fantastic to behold. I did shoot some Kodachromes for stock, but it wasn't the sort of stuff that made money: too easy and also free. The agency wanted lifestyle... Sadly, as with all the rest of the stuff I binned when I departed that scene, nothing left to play with today.

The park also has a boating pond with islands with swans, and yet more trees and colours. Some places really do have charm, though I don't think it came with nature - I think the original estate owners must have designed it all. Them wuz the dys... makes me wonder how clever the punitive death duties the socialist governments like to gift the rich really are; we lose so much when old money is crushed to serve public desires for permanent political capìtal. I guess envy never dies.

Rob
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Telecaster on October 09, 2017, 03:59:52 pm
In the US anyway estate issues are easy-peasy to deal with, provided you as the primary estate holder are part of a stable & functional family and are capable of acknowledging your own mortality. (Obviously neither of these are givens!  :) ) You simply make your beneficiaries co-owners of whatever they’d otherwise inherit. No muss, no fuss, no tax.

Wishaw, where my mom grew up, has a number of little parks such as you describe, Rob. My cousins and I spent hours & hours playing in them.

-Dave-
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: JNB_Rare on October 09, 2017, 06:57:16 pm
Very beautiful, Oscar.

+2
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on October 10, 2017, 10:49:33 am
+2
You managed to incorporate the urban with nature. Well done and interesting juxtaposition of elements.

JR
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on October 10, 2017, 10:52:11 am
I took this one before I went on vacation last week. Noticed the two different light patterns and had to photograph it before I left.

JR

(https://photos.smugmug.com/On-the-Road/i-NTqTLxr/0/31a7d668/M/JMRO2846%20cropcopy-1000smug-M.jpg)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on October 10, 2017, 11:16:12 am
And one from my trip:

JR

(https://photos.smugmug.com/On-the-Road/i-d9r9W24/0/4c048e31/M/Oct%205-%202017%20Oxtongue%20and%20Algonquin_0478%20copy1000-M.jpg)

(edit: found I was on blue screen mode and colours were ghastly!)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: BobDavid on October 10, 2017, 12:25:51 pm
an ethereal horizon 7,500 ft above sea level
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on October 10, 2017, 12:56:45 pm
an ethereal horizon 7,500 ft above sea level
Quite bold of you to photograph something we all don't think twice about. You have to enlarge the image to see the wispy parts and get a sense of the feathery light clouds and natural colour sky.

JR
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on October 12, 2017, 01:00:07 am
Lamp and window light...series, sort of...

(https://photos.smugmug.com/On-the-Road/i-ZzZnBzJ/0/eb4dfb53/M/JMRO2842%20copy1000-M.jpg)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 12, 2017, 09:38:15 am
My only nit on this one, John, is that it pushes the limits of "semi-minimalism" a bit, where the previous one doesn't.
But I still like this one, too. The small visual changes change the mood very substantially. Both are good.

Eric
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: JNB_Rare on October 12, 2017, 09:53:50 am
Lamp and window light...series, sort of...

Compositionally, I like this one better.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: BobDavid on October 12, 2017, 10:31:10 am
Quite bold of you to photograph something we all don't think twice about. You have to enlarge the image to see the wispy parts and get a sense of the feathery light clouds and natural colour sky.

JR

True, it's a minimalist photo. And it's easy to overlook a thumbnail.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: drmike on October 12, 2017, 11:55:19 am
(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4405/36496775741_87004885d6_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/XB6vUa)

Must fit the bill surely?
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on October 12, 2017, 08:33:45 pm
Yes Mike, it looks minimalist to me. Usually I don't bother to nitpick, but the non-level bottom left brick line really draws attention to itself at the expense of your nice abstract. I think minimalism in photos has a lot to do with overall look and feel and what it conveys and less to do with simplicity of subjects. What is here: white and black and grey and lines and shapes. But it is the quality of light and how these elements interact that makes the image better than bland simplicity.

JR
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: drmike on October 13, 2017, 02:37:03 am
Hi John, thanks for the supportive comments. I agree that uneven line catches the eye but the vertical line is vertical and I'm not sure how I would square that circle :)

I also agree that simplicity is an intent and not always content.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on October 13, 2017, 08:58:43 am
Use the 'distort' tool (usually with the transform tool). Pull down the right side until it looks level. Then you may have to pull up the top right to make it level. That should do it and not affect the verticals.

JR
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 13, 2017, 09:35:47 am
I think it's worth trying John's suggestion. The photo is so close to perfect as it is.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: drmike on October 13, 2017, 09:36:46 am
I'll give it a go and report back.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: RSL on October 13, 2017, 12:24:45 pm
Untitled
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on October 13, 2017, 01:49:59 pm
I see you your eyes always open, Russ. If you get my meaning. At first I was was very critical of the oblique line (wood panel) running into the corner. But then I reduced the size of image and presto the image fit on my screen and the line was above the corner. It is a good pattern-abstract shot. Razor sharp too.

JR
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 13, 2017, 02:11:00 pm
Untitled
I know you are feeling frustration at not being near enought to the city to do Street photography on a daily basis.
But your eye is obviously doing a great job of finding excellent subjects that are out of your preferred comfort zone.

Keep 'em coming!

-Eric
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: James Clark on October 14, 2017, 12:08:34 pm
Untitled

Trying to figure out the orientation here - what are we looking at?  It's a cool composition but for the life of me I can't figure out if it's inverted, a strange tile wall, or a weird floor/shadow interaction.  :)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: RSL on October 14, 2017, 12:31:31 pm
Ah ha! It's ambiguity at work, James. Thanks, guys. I do like graphics.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on December 23, 2017, 10:26:01 am
Yeah, i needed to revive the thread again.

More industrial activity in our town.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 23, 2017, 10:47:07 am
Here are a couple (semi-) minimalist. New ice on local ponds.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Rob C on December 23, 2017, 12:42:11 pm
Minimum minimalism permissible?

:-)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 23, 2017, 04:23:58 pm
Minimum minimalism permissible?

:-)
Yup.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: pegelli on February 16, 2018, 03:27:06 pm
First post in the thread for 2018. Happy New Year  ;)

White Hole:
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: armand on February 16, 2018, 03:29:15 pm
Very nice, I love it!
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Chris Kern on February 16, 2018, 04:17:35 pm
Curtained Windows, Halifax, NS
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 16, 2018, 05:27:33 pm
Good to see some life in this thread from Pieter and Chris.
Both good.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 16, 2018, 09:12:11 pm
... White Hole:

Perfect!
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: James Clark on February 17, 2018, 09:19:42 am
Not semi-minimalist, definitely fully minimalist, but maybe more abstract? Anyway, this is a bit of beach off the Georgia coast combining a long exposure and some ICM.

Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: James Clark on February 17, 2018, 09:22:03 am
First post in the thread for 2018. Happy New Year  ;)

White Hole:

Very contemporary - I love it!  (But see if you can't eliminate that slight vignette ;) )
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: cgarnerhome on February 17, 2018, 10:06:13 am
Looks great in that setting!
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: James Clark on February 17, 2018, 10:47:24 am
Looks great in that setting!

Thanks Cam!  Appreciate the compliment.  It's funny - I've shared this a few other places, and the photography people are not impressed, but the interior design and architecture folks love it :)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 17, 2018, 11:26:51 am
... the photography people are not impressed, but the interior design and architecture folks love it :)

Which underlines the importance of framing, presentation, print size, and context (i.e., display environment). Says Slobodan, The Interior Design Aficionado  :)

P.S. Is that a real environment, or one of those software simulations?
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: James Clark on February 17, 2018, 12:06:28 pm
Which underlines the importance of framing, presentation, print size, and context (i.e., display environment). Says Slobodan, The Interior Design Aficionado  :)

P.S. Is that a real environment, or one of those software simulations?

:) Agreed, of course.  Presentation and context can completely change the effectiveness of the print - I’d almost always agree with that!

To your question, it’s a real environment, taken from an architectural shoot I did in Canada last year.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on March 26, 2018, 12:13:56 pm
In anticipation of spring, i suppose, because winter seems to drag its feet and take forever.

Perhaps a good candidate for a focus stacking experiment.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: muntanela on March 28, 2018, 07:03:22 am
Stellaria media piccina picciò
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: armand on March 29, 2018, 03:39:54 pm
..
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: armand on March 30, 2018, 04:43:44 pm
.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on April 01, 2018, 10:23:19 am
The composition was by design, but the look was accidental.

JR

(https://photos.smugmug.com/On-the-Road/i-SrWLzR6/0/c61dc73e/M/April%201-%202018%20house%20orchid%206%20copy1000-M.jpg)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on April 05, 2018, 06:06:51 pm
I am really enjoying that flower I never expected to survive!

JR

(https://photos.smugmug.com/On-the-Road/i-3S274x6/0/ed9a058e/L/april%201-%202018%20house%20orchid%2012c%20copy1000-L.jpg)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 05, 2018, 06:34:22 pm
Ooh! Lovely!
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on April 06, 2018, 07:29:37 pm
Ooh! Lovely!
Thanks Eric, I appreciate the response, albeit, minimal ;)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: pegelli on April 07, 2018, 09:45:41 am
To the core

Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 07, 2018, 07:21:53 pm
To the core
Very classy, Pieter.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: JNB_Rare on April 07, 2018, 10:47:55 pm
I'm not sure if I'm getting it or not. Maybe I'm semi getting it?

Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 08, 2018, 10:03:40 am
It works for me.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: guido on April 08, 2018, 10:17:27 am
Lovely JNB_Rare
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on April 08, 2018, 10:32:31 am
Lovely JNB_Rare
Reminds me of Union Station in Toronto. Same patina and they have trees around the property also. Well seen.

JR
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: JNB_Rare on April 09, 2018, 08:37:50 am
Reminds me of Union Station in Toronto. Same patina and they have trees around the property also. Well seen.

Oh, so very close. Backside of the Royal York Hotel across the street if memory serves.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on April 09, 2018, 09:22:41 am
Ah yes, I think I am getting closer. I believe there are about three buildings in the area that have similar patina. If memory serves, one is the side of the museum. Here is almost dead ringer for your shot, albeit with a wider view. For me, at the time it was about capturing the light play from reflections of other buildings.

JR

Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: petermfiore on April 09, 2018, 09:45:25 am
Ah yes, I think I am getting closer. I believe there are about three buildings in the area that have similar patina. If memory serves, one is the side of the museum. Here is almost dead ringer for your shot, albeit with a wider view. For me, at the time it was about capturing the light play from reflections of other buildings.

JR

Highly evocative...Wonderful treatment!

Peter
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: guido on April 09, 2018, 01:15:17 pm
Ah yes, I think I am getting closer. I believe there are about three buildings in the area that have similar patina. If memory serves, one is the side of the museum. Here is almost dead ringer for your shot, albeit with a wider view. For me, at the time it was about capturing the light play from reflections of other buildings.

JR

That is awesome! Really nicely done!
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: JNB_Rare on April 09, 2018, 05:21:54 pm
Ah yes, I think I am getting closer. I believe there are about three buildings in the area that have similar patina. If memory serves, one is the side of the museum. Here is almost dead ringer for your shot, albeit with a wider view. For me, at the time it was about capturing the light play from reflections of other buildings.

JR

Lovely. No lack of reflective surfaces in that area – all those bank towers!
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 12, 2018, 06:26:19 pm
Since JohnR reminded us about this thread, and I had just posted an image in the new thread (Photo chain -- minimalism,) I'll post it again here.
So, is this Minimalism or is it Semi-minimalism?   ;)

Eric
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Michael West on December 12, 2018, 08:21:22 pm
 
(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4912/44476739720_a147f0e73e_c.jpg)



 
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 12, 2018, 11:13:22 pm
Like!
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on December 13, 2018, 11:05:35 am
Lets get minimal:

JR

(https://photos.smugmug.com/Caledon-Badlands-20142015/i-8BJf55r/0/4c5255db/L/Feb%203-%202015%20Bellfountain%20091%20copy1000-L.jpg)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 13, 2018, 12:42:55 pm
That's truly minimal, John.
So does it really belong in the Semi-minimalism thread?   :D

P.S. I like it.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on December 13, 2018, 12:46:57 pm
That's truly minimal, John.
So does it really belong in the Semi-minimalism thread?   :D

P.S. I like it.
Thanks Eric. I am sure Peter won't mind. He probably didn't know about this thread :D

JR
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: KLaban on December 13, 2018, 12:50:02 pm

(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4912/44476739720_a147f0e73e_c.jpg)

Love.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on December 13, 2018, 12:58:33 pm
That's truly minimal, John.
So does it really belong in the Semi-minimalism thread?   :D

P.S. I like it.

The "Semi" is in parentheses, which I think gives ample leeway.

So do I.

Jeremy
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Michael West on December 13, 2018, 10:41:15 pm
Love.

Thank you KLaban

 
(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4594/25275179878_06c1e705d5_c.jpg)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 14, 2018, 12:03:07 am
These are both lovely, Michael.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: KLaban on December 14, 2018, 02:33:07 am
Thank you KLaban

 
(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4594/25275179878_06c1e705d5_c.jpg)

And again.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on December 14, 2018, 10:02:02 am
These are both lovely, Michael.
Indeed they are.

JR
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Michael West on December 14, 2018, 03:57:49 pm
These are both lovely, Michael.

The location in which sterling Johnson the local Bubble Man performed his craft..is sadly...now a supermarket parking lot.

he may be making bubbles elsewhere...but not next door to my apartment any longer.

 A more challenging project ive never encountered.

Thank you.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: JNB_Rare on December 16, 2018, 08:59:51 am
These are both lovely, Michael.

+1, although I like the second one better because it has more flow/energy.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: JNB_Rare on December 16, 2018, 09:10:12 am
Semi seems to be a better fit for my 'eye' than true minimalism.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 16, 2018, 12:16:23 pm
A lovely set, JNB.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on December 16, 2018, 01:06:44 pm
A lovely set, JNB.
I Especially like the second one. It's quite a striking contrast between, leaf?, shadows and white wall.

JR
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on December 19, 2018, 12:20:19 am
Remains of autumn.

JR

(https://photos.smugmug.com/Badlands-of-Caledon/i-QhPqVRb/0/e4f93a43/L/Feb%206-11%20Caledon%20059%20tmecopy-L.jpg)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: JNB_Rare on December 19, 2018, 08:27:15 am
Remains of autumn.

Nice!

Another "semi" shot. (minimalist colour?)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on December 19, 2018, 11:55:29 am
Nice!

Another "semi" shot. (minimalist colour?)
Semi or not I like it! How many times have we gone by one of those?

Another from the Badlands of Caledon, a couple of years old, but just getting to them.

JR

(https://photos.smugmug.com/Badlands-of-Caledon/i-FbbLCpn/0/0e2c7aeb/L/Nov%2017-%202014%20Caledon%20Badlands%20237%20copy1000-L.jpg)
Title: Re: Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: p2images on December 26, 2018, 09:42:50 am
Hmmm. . . hmmmm. . . ?


Too much color for my taste ;)

Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on December 26, 2018, 04:08:07 pm
It's all about the lines and delicate shading when the light and landscape is so white.

JR

(https://photos.smugmug.com/Caledon-Badlands-20142015/i-fsVxzDr/0/3dfe994b/L/Dec%2012%202014%20Badlands%20070%20copy1000-L.jpg)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: drmike on December 26, 2018, 05:13:29 pm
It's all about the lines and delicate shading when the light and landscape is so white.

JR


Not the composition?
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on December 26, 2018, 06:16:53 pm
Not the composition?
Of course, you need both. I took it for granted that would include good composition.

JR
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: drmike on December 27, 2018, 07:23:12 am
Of course, you need both. I took it for granted that would include good composition.

JR

I would too (can you hear the stealthy noise of a stiletto being drawn) in some other genre composition seems to be the first casualty :)

Mike
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on December 29, 2018, 11:38:12 am
One more from the Badlands. Abstract and minimal.

JR

(https://photos.smugmug.com/Caledon-Badlands-20142015/i-4Rtc5mB/0/7da7e6e7/L/Dec%2012%202014%20Badlands%20106%20bwcopy1000-L.jpg)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on January 07, 2019, 06:58:10 am
Although it has a few elements, I think it still feels and looks minimal.

JR

(https://photos.smugmug.com/Landscape-Impressions/i-8cvC2n7/0/26267a65/M/Feb%2022-%202015%20Boston%20Cemetery%20018%20bwcopy-1000-M.jpg)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: JNB_Rare on January 07, 2019, 02:00:41 pm
One of my first images of 2019 (must get out more). Light in my attic office.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on January 07, 2019, 04:29:14 pm
Very nice, John B. Also abstract. Do what you can and keep up the good seeing!

JR
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: drmike on January 08, 2019, 03:00:50 am
That's a lovely delicate shot.

Mike
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 08, 2019, 08:38:15 am
Excellent!
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: armand on January 08, 2019, 05:27:30 pm
.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: armand on January 09, 2019, 01:38:45 pm
..
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 09, 2019, 06:18:00 pm
Nice one, Armand.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: armand on January 10, 2019, 12:13:35 pm
Nice one, Armand.

Thank you. It took many attempts to get it sharp enough, a combination of long FL and breeze.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: armand on January 10, 2019, 03:29:04 pm
2
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: 32BT on January 10, 2019, 03:31:11 pm
2

Armand, there's a birdman hiding in you. That's a good capture, especially considering the type of bird.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: armand on January 10, 2019, 03:46:48 pm
Armand, there's a birdman hiding in you. That's a good capture, especially considering the type of bird.
Thanks! This was lucky. The light was gorgeous and the birds flew right above me. Unfortunately the RX10 iii which I had with me was turned off, so it took some time to start and zoom it; to its credit it was able to focus fast enough that I got 3 shots, this being the most appealing.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: armand on January 18, 2019, 11:26:36 am
.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: armand on January 24, 2019, 02:21:44 pm
after the snow
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 24, 2019, 04:50:18 pm
Another nice "abstract," Armand.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 24, 2019, 04:53:12 pm
Another nice "abstract," Armand.

It's a nice abstract, but it's hardly minimalist. Or even semi-minimalist.

Jeremy
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: armand on January 24, 2019, 06:49:01 pm
It's a nice abstract, but it's hardly minimalist. Or even semi-minimalist.

Jeremy

I thought it's semi minimalistic enough but if it irks your inner peace too much feel free to move it where you think it's appropriate.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 24, 2019, 08:23:29 pm
Perhaps Jeremy could move it to a new thread called "Semi-demi-hemi-minimalism."
 8)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 25, 2019, 08:38:30 pm
“20 Stunning Examples Of Black & White Minimal Photographs”

https://www.lightstalking.com/black-white-minimal-photographs/
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 25, 2019, 08:51:58 pm
“20 Stunning Examples Of Black & White Minimal Photographs”

https://www.lightstalking.com/black-white-minimal-photographs/
Those are some nice ones. But they don't have a Slobodan among them.
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: MattNQ on January 29, 2019, 11:26:35 pm
I guess this counts as minimalist?

(https://photos.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Sunshine-Coast/i-pX9Gv2V/0/fdf08df2/L/P4053618-L.jpg)
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: John R on January 30, 2019, 09:14:00 am
Those are some nice ones. But they don't have a Slobodan among them.
The two I like best are from Fernando Reyes- pure white environment and light falling onto walls; and 8 moments- snow falling against outline of fence and bench. Gorgeous.

JR
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: petermfiore on February 03, 2019, 08:40:08 am
View From the Studio...


Peter
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 03, 2019, 12:38:24 pm
Nice one, Peter.
Would it have been a challenge to get that sense of delicacy in paint? Just curious.

Eric
Title: Re: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
Post by: petermfiore on February 03, 2019, 02:51:00 pm
Nice one, Peter.
Would it have been a challenge to get that sense of delicacy in paint? Just curious.

Eric

Actually the trick is what appears to be a white background. I would use high key mixtures and temperature shifts to make the background palpable. Not hard just needs finesse. Thanks Eric for asking...

Peter