Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: 32BT on April 01, 2017, 06:58:42 am
-
The nice thing about the "Without Prejudice" thread is the sheer variety of images. Since I don't want to spam it with every other staircase I encounter, I thought I'd start a new thread just for staircases and steps. Open to anything remotely looking like elevationconvenience, with the exception of elevators.
-
For my personal little Steps & Stairs project, i like to limit myself to 2x1 and 1x1 format. Sometimes that just doesn't fly. Here's a nice spiral case which has nothing particularly wrong with it, but not really special either.
-
This one may give a nice shadow when there is actual sunshine. Still thought it funny because it's a bit of a visual puzzle; let's call it "The Steps behind the Stairs"
-
Love the colour one, Oscar.
-
The first one has a lot of intrigue in that it starts rectangular and converts to spiral. Makes one think what the interior is like. That must be either wildly beautiful or excessively ugly.
The second picture makes an excellent combination between the railing and the steps. The former seems timeperiod specific.
I"m still chewing on the third...
-
The first one has a lot of intrigue in that it starts rectangular and converts to spiral. Makes one think what the interior is like. That must be either wildly beautiful or excessively ugly.
The second picture makes an excellent combination between the railing and the steps. The former seems timeperiod specific.
I"m still chewing on the third...
1st is from the University College building at the University of Toronto, built in the Romanesque Revival style (completed in 1859).
2nd is also from UofT, but Convocation Hall, built in 1907
3rd is the outside staircase on the Art Gallery of Ontario, designed by Frank Gehry. It connects the 4th and 5th levels of the gallery's south facade, and was dubbed the "barnacle staircase" by the Gehry architects.
-
Zeit-geist genau. Probably a 50s era concrete steps, in a small hallway entrance, the font typeface giving it away. Probably should sneak into the next entrance so the numbers show the actual year of conception.
-
A stairway to paradise?
-
A chip in the old institution leads to a shiny new one.
-
Love the colour one, Oscar.
I really like your first one, John.
Jeremy
-
Some architect comes up with what he/she believed to be a pretty entrance (at least for that era), and then somebody decides to mount a handlebar as an afterthought for balancing the drainpipe maybe, idk... 8-\
-
Some architect comes up with what he/she believed to be a pretty entrance (at least for that era), and then somebody decides to mount a handlebar as an afterthought for balancing the drainpipe maybe, idk... 8-\
More likely a handrail to accommodate the aging tenant(s). Apparently, President Trump has a fear of stairs and inclines which is why he grabbed Prime Minister Theresa May's hand as they descended a couple of steps during her visit to the White House.
-
Ah, architecture by committee (whose members don't speak to one another).
-
More likely a handrail to accommodate the aging tenant(s).
Yes, likely, though still no reason to mess up an architectural design. Must be a way to provide a handlebar that blends in, similarly the drainage...
-
Ah, architecture by committee (whose members don't speak to one another).
Very, very likely true
-
This one is most definitely going to make the cut.
(Maybe not this picture, but something very similar).
It is an older office building from the 70s and i don't think the original architects would have known about GSM and cellular antennae. I think the staircase was meant to symbolise an oil rig since the building was originally used by the local oil & gas company, but since the staircase could also be thought of as an antenna...
Obviously, i want to emphasise the combination of staircase and antennae. I don't know whether it works here. Maybe it is time to find somebody with one of them fancy drones.
-
I think this is one photo that wants to be cropped.
Here is my quick version, cropped to retain the essential elements, and with a bit of Content-aware Fill to get rid of the distracting tree.
If you don't like it, I'll be happy to delete it.
-
I think this is one photo that wants to be cropped.
Here is my quick version, cropped to retain the essential elements, and with a bit of Content-aware Fill to get rid of the distracting tree.
If you don't like it, I'll be happy to delete it.
Feel free to post suggestions, no problem. In this case the suggested crop might work very well, considering the original meaning of the staircase symbolism. This way it also looks like an oil-well...
The vantage point for shooting perpendicular is unfortunately not readily available, that's also why the thought of a drone came to mind. But i probably know some of the construction workers that could get me on the correct spot, and they just might have one of those mobile boom thingies available. 8-|
-
You might have to give away several prints, but it could be worth it.
-
Odd structure makes you wonder what the extra platform is contributing...
-
You do have an eye for structural oddities.
-
Here you go, from the berges du Rhône, yesterday...
-
And something from a few years back, the stairs from a decrepit building where an artist friend lives...
-
Here you go, from the berges du Rhône, yesterday...
And something from a few years back, the stairs from a decrepit building where an artist friend lives...
Love the shadows in the first. As for the second one, an artist friend lives there? Yes, that fits. :)
-
Stairs in the new section of the Royal Ontario Museum. Looking down, then looking up.
-
Inside staircase in a 1960's church.
-
This thread is really lively. I'll have t see if I can find a staircase image to post.
-
Here you go, from the berges du Rhône, yesterday...
Nice, the similarity in the shirt & shadow...
-
And something from a few years back, the stairs from a decrepit building where an artist friend lives...
Gotta love this one. Stairs with stories..., no, the other kind of stories. Nice atmosphere in the picture.
-
Stairs in the new section of the Royal Ontario Museum. Looking down, then looking up.
Looking up has some beautiful tonality and gradations. Looking down, idk, a bit cold or empty. Could use some plants maybe. Well designed stairs though, with the extra light edge at beginning and end.
-
Inside staircase in a 1960's church.
Hmm, there's a picture in there where you could crop to just a cross and the stairs behind. That would certainly give it some ambiguity.
-
As for the second one, an artist friend lives there? Yes, that fits. :)
Yup. 7th floor, 1 room, no lift, shared with her graduate student partner. She has studio space in the attic though...
-
From the Rosewood Hotel, San Miguel de Allende
-
From the Rosewood Hotel, San Miguel de Allende
Wow, that's a beauty. Very Escheresque. Nice location too.
-
Wow, that's a beauty. Very Escheresque. Nice location too.
+1.
-
Thanks Oscar and Eric! It's a beautiful beautiful property - I shot a bunch of images there. The view from the roof deck (http://jclarkgallery.com/wp-content/gallery-bank/gallery-uploads/o_1b85khmmdqv2bo0dd5vsf1cjr1f.jpg) isn't bad either :)
-
Wow, that's a beauty. Very Escheresque. Nice location too.
Agreed. Very nice.
-
Stairs are often a pleasing structure to photograph. I do find myself drawn to the patterns.
-
John B and Oscar and James (now that I know your names), I really like this series. And it inpires me to make a conscious effort to photograph more stairs[ways] and steps. Usually I notice them only when there is unusual light. Here are a few from the past until I can go out find more.
(https://photos.smugmug.com/Pictorials/i-n3G9S5m/0/M/Dec%2028-%202015%20City%20Hall%20Downtown%20174%20copy1000-M.jpg)
(https://photos.smugmug.com/Port-Hope-and-Cobourg/i-cGKWVCX/0/M/Feb%2026-12%20Port%20Hope%20112%20HDR-bw-smugcopy-M.jpg)
(https://photos.smugmug.com/Port-Hope-and-Cobourg/i-WWKBW6x/0/M/May%2030-%202016%20Doors%20Open%20092%20bwcopy-1000-M.jpg)
-
And one I really like, taken in harsh light. In this case, really brings out the shadow and light patterns.
(https://photos.smugmug.com/Pictorials/i-D8dr8WW/0/M/Mar%2011-12%20UofT%20436%20copy1000-M.jpg)
-
More elevationconvenience. Would be funny to get a better perspective on the tracks itself, so there is similarity in ladder, fence, and tracks. Title would probably be "Ladderposts, fenceposts, trackbeams, and a signpost"
-
Stretching the little camera's capabilities. Need significantly more than 10 shots used here to eliminate the noise and dead pixels...
-
Antrim.
Jeremy
-
Tuscany.
-
Antrim.
Jeremy
Yeah, that's an interesting structure. Seems both the stones and the steps have been weathered by salty sea air? There used to be a drainage maybe, possibly cupper or some other valuable metal type. There's a story there.
-
Tuscany.
You're just trying to make me jealous and succeeding at it quite effectively.
-
Yeah, that's an interesting structure. Seems both the stones and the steps have been weathered by salty sea air? There used to be a drainage maybe, possibly cupper or some other valuable metal type. There's a story there.
It's a former coastguard station, apparently, which has now found a new role as a hideous eyesore on top of Torr Head. The best idea is to keep your back to it, I think, but I had this thread in mind.
Jeremy
-
This one was posted previously in another thread.
Taken in Kinsale, southern Ireland
-
This one will fill 18:9 in portrait orientation quite well one way or another
-
Only just seen the topic - nice variety - perhaps I might add some more.
Comments and critiques invited please.
All of these were taken in the same building despite their different styles - I guess its identity will not be a mystery for long ??
-
..... and four more - again the same building - and again like to know your thoughts.
p.s. I hope the last is acceptable - the stairs are implied !
-
Some old ones, in Crest
-
This one will fill 18:9 in portrait orientation quite well one way or another
Like this one... Nice light lacey feel to the stairs which lives well with the fluffy clouds :)
-
C'mon guys. More posts. The cats are beating you.
-
C'mon guys. More posts. The cats are beating you.
Perhaps a sign o' the times, otoh there will of course always be more beerdrinkers than fine wine connaisseurs.
;-b
-
Perhaps a sign o' the times, otoh there will of course always be more beerdrinkers than fine wine connaisseurs.
Depends which country you're in :)
(and on how fussy you are about "fine" :) )
-
I think the problem is that there are more cats out there than stairs.
-
I think the problem is that there are more cats out there than stairs.
Russ,
You might enjoy (or be terrified by) the film Kedi, a documentary about cats pretty much taking over Istanbul. It's quite clear who's in charge there.
Eric
-
Hi Eric, I've had several cats. They're always in charge. Everywhere.
-
Hi Eric, I've had several cats. They're always in charge. Everywhere.
C'mon Russ, you must have some pictures of them.
-
Well, try figuring out the shadow in this one.
-
No problem, Oscar. The ladder sweeps outward toward the top in order to get over the eave on the roof. But you can't see the shape of the ladder since the ladder is directly on the lens axis.
-
C'mon Russ, you must have some pictures of them.
Actually, believe it or not, I haven't.
-
Lots of verticals in this little gem.
(Just trying to keep up with the cats here)
-
Actually, believe it or not, I haven't.
Probably because they were never out on the Street. ;)
Maybe it's time to take steps to get this thread back on track.
-
GOT TO stay ahead of cats....
-
GOT TO stay ahead of cats....
Holy smokes! Wine of this quality beats beer 10x over and then some.
Marvelous examples, love these.
-
Holy smokes! Wine of this quality beats beer 10x over and then some.
Marvelous examples, love these.
+1.
Rumor (made up by me just now) has it that Joyce Kilmer's first draft was something like this:
""I think that I will never see
A cat lovely as a staircase..."
(Rejected because the meter didn't work.) ;)
-
Because everything's better than a cat...
-
Geometrics
-
I'll beat the cats one image at a time...
-
In an apartmentbuilding for the elderly. Somebody went creative with 50s era furniture on all the floors.
-
Trying to add some humor
-
More nice ones, Oscar.
But didn't a cat go up those stairs just before you snapped? ;)
-
From a walk yesterday...
-
Election day.
-
I like those "hint of stairs" depictions a lot (4328 & 4458).
Been toying with the same idea for some authentic entrance steps on old buildings I saw recently.
-
4 for the price of 1
-
Escalier du jour.
-
Almost minimalism
-
I knew i had stairs somewhere :)
(http://www.slobodanblagojevic.com/img/s/v-2/p1990381381-2.jpg) (http://www.slobodanblagojevic.com/p882420661/e76a2cf45)
-
I knew i had stairs somewhere :)
Ha, I seem to remember that one. It made me wonder whether the building was victim of that window-tax thing...
-
E staircase, New Court.
Jeremy
-
E staircase, New Court.
Jeremy
Golden! Lovely shape and colors in this one.
-
Golden! Lovely shape and colors in this one.
Very nice!
-
Art Deco style from the water filtration plant in Toronto. Incredible place. Last is a glimpse of the style and the enormous pumps that run part of the filtration system.
JR
(https://photos.smugmug.com/On-the-Road/i-z3RrTFc/0/a60e4e79/M/May%2027-12%20Harris%20Plant%20085%20bw-crop1000-M.jpg)
(https://photos.smugmug.com/On-the-Road/i-5LB4vkn/0/2b8e175b/M/May%2027-12%20Harris%20Plant%20159%20bwcopy-1000-M.jpg)
(https://photos.smugmug.com/On-the-Road/i-wP3LDWJ/0/db7bcc55/M/May%2027-12%20Harris%20Plant%20162%20copy1000-M.jpg)
-
One from Elgin theatre.
JR
(https://photos.smugmug.com/On-the-Road/i-fZgJcth/0/f4df3708/L/JMRO0226%20bwcopy1000-L.jpg)
-
Oscar,
Rediscovered this pair recently when working on the second part of my "project":
(http://www.roma57.com/uploads/4/2/8/7/4287956/pg-11_1_orig.jpg)
Rob
-
A little work product - the new pavilion at the Portland Japanese Gardens Cultural Village
-
Oscar,
Rediscovered this pair recently when working on the second part of my "project":
Rob
Please tell me you were locationscouting for a client or a calendar, because this one calls for that "lady in a windowframe" somewhere, in this case a model standing on the stairs, long hair and ditto gown blowing in the wind while she stares in to the distance with an indetermined longing look on her face.
Too bad about that graffitti though, an eyesore for sure.
-
A little work product - the new pavilion at the Portland Japanese Gardens Cultural Village
Yes, the moving figure works very well.
-
Please tell me you were locationscouting for a client or a calendar, because this one calls for that "lady in a windowframe" somewhere, in this case a model standing on the stairs, long hair and ditto gown blowing in the wind while she stares in to the distance with an indetermined longing look on her face.
Too bad about that graffitti though, an eyesore for sure.
Oscar, I would love to be able to cross my heart and admit to your suggestion; the truth, however, is a bit more prosaic: I was just going out to my favourite restaurant on the edge of town for the long shot, and going back to the parking space after it on another occasion for the closer shot... most of my travelling these days appears to be closely associated with food; but hey, your scenario about girl/dress tempts me to suggest you have the sensibilites for fashion... tried it?
Rob
-
Unfortunately, the relatively heavy colornoisereduction in the Sony jpgs makes a bw conversion nearly impossible. I suppose another good argument for raw capture. For this lowres snap with a failed crop to boot, i probably can get away with it.
"Failed crop?" You ask...
Well, can't cut it in 2:1 or 1:1
Another failure is that the juxtaposition between old and new isn't as pronounced as it could be, but i probably have another chance or two since it "ain't going nowhere" me thinks.
"Just like your photography!" Yeah, i hear you thinking...