Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Chairman Bill on March 25, 2017, 02:18:55 pm

Title: Alone by the sea
Post by: Chairman Bill on March 25, 2017, 02:18:55 pm
On Cornwall's northern coast
Title: Re: Alone by the sea
Post by: RSL on March 25, 2017, 02:37:12 pm
Yes!
Title: Re: Alone by the sea
Post by: RSL on March 25, 2017, 03:08:28 pm
Somebody's going to point out that it's over-sharpened, Bill, and it is. But it's still a fine shot. Just ignore the criticism. You don't want to get into the horror of technical perfection.
Title: Re: Alone by the sea
Post by: Chairman Bill on March 25, 2017, 05:08:04 pm
Thanks, Russ. I've had the comment about over sharpening before. I'm using Capture One Pro, and simply choosing the 'standard look' option. Maybe I should go back to Nik Sharpener Pro 3.
Title: Re: Alone by the sea
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 25, 2017, 07:08:49 pm
Very strong shot. Visually.

Technically, it appears "tortured," with strong halos around the person's hood and the islands.

Title: Re: Alone by the sea
Post by: RSL on March 25, 2017, 07:51:58 pm
Yeah, Bill. I think Slobodan's right, as I said. I'd give Nik's sharpener a try again. I use it all the time with very good results.
Title: Re: Alone by the sea
Post by: John R on March 25, 2017, 10:38:23 pm
How about not sharpening the sky at all? I seldom sharpen skies or large areas of any colour. Someone taught me this, especially for projection. Select sky, invert and sharpen land area only.

JR
Title: Re: Alone by the sea
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 26, 2017, 04:06:15 am
Very strong shot. Visually.

Technically, it appears "tortured," with strong halos around the person's hood and the islands.

I agree. The halo around the islands is particularly noticeable, but should be trivial to fix - and the image is well worth a bit more work.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Alone by the sea
Post by: fdisilvestro on March 26, 2017, 04:16:34 am
I'm using Capture One Pro, and simply choosing the 'standard look' option.

A great image! I personally find the C1 standard look and the default values for sharpening too much for most images. Maybe just dial down the radius and sharpening amount.
Title: Re: Alone by the sea
Post by: Chairman Bill on March 26, 2017, 04:51:59 am
A great image! I personally find the C1 standard look and the default values for sharpening too much for most images. Maybe just dial down the radius and sharpening amount.

Thanks. I've tried dialing down the radius, and that does seem to make a considerable difference.
Title: Re: Alone by the sea
Post by: stamper on March 26, 2017, 09:31:16 am
I like the image. Recently instead of sharpening an image I have been using clarity in Nik at a 50 setting and I find it a good substitute without getting halos or artifacts.
Title: Re: Alone by the sea
Post by: Rob C on March 27, 2017, 08:08:37 am
You don't necessarily have to change an entire way of working; local problems like the isles and the head can be fixed locally by simply using the burning-in tool set to 'highlights'. Run it over the offending area at maybe 3% - 5% and problem gone. I'm talking about web images - hell knows what it may look like in print, but that's the past for me. Frankly, almost nothing most people do is worth printing, and I very much include my own amateur work in that thought. Images, by and large, are nothing more than passing thoughts, and few such are worth recording in a coffee-table book of essays!

;-)

Rob
Title: Re: Alone by the sea
Post by: MattBurt on March 28, 2017, 12:55:17 pm
How about not sharpening the sky at all? I seldom sharpen skies or large areas of any colour. Someone taught me this, especially for projection. Select sky, invert and sharpen land area only.

JR

This! That sky in particular doesn't need it.