Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: hasselbladfan on January 27, 2017, 04:48:27 am

Title: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: hasselbladfan on January 27, 2017, 04:48:27 am
Just announced on their website :

Hasselblad announces change of management structure

Hasselblad, the leader in high-quality professional medium format cameras today announced that Perry Oosting, CEO, will step down from his role by the end of this month.

Having guided Hasselblad to stability, strong sales as well as the partnership with aerial camera company DJI, CEO Perry Oosting has accomplished what he was asked to achieve and has decided to step down from his operational responsibilities and return to a role as advisor to the board.

“We would like to thank Mr Perry Oosting for his extraordinary efforts. Under his leadership a foundation for future growth is established and the company has extended its customer base substantially,” said the Supervisory Board.

“In the beginning of 2015 I was asked to take the role as CEO to secure sustainable growth and prepare the business for the next steps in its development. During 2016, we launched several new products and a complete new electronic platform. The market reaction to the strategic direction and its products were overwhelming. I would like to thank all involved and foresee a bright future for the team of Hasselblad.” said Perry Oosting.

The Board of Directors has, effective as of Feb 1, appointed Paul Bram, currently Advisor to Hasselblad, as Interim CEO.

“We are happy to announce Mr Paul Bram as an interim CEO. Paul is coming from his position within Hasselblad as Advisor and has a vast leadership experience from his time at Ericsson and Gambro,” said the Supervisory Board.

“I am honoured to take on the role as interim CEO for this iconic and much-loved company. Hasselblad represents outstanding quality, passion for fine art and pioneering technology. Over the coming months we will continue the started path and strategic direction, including accelerating R&D and software development in Gothenburg, Sweden. Going forward I am immensely proud to be part of this continuing journey.” said Paul Bram.

Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: hasselbladfan on January 27, 2017, 04:54:18 am
Changing your CEO every 2 years is never a good thing for a Company.
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: hasselbladfan on January 27, 2017, 06:23:16 am
The previous change was certainly a good thing.

Agree, the Sony re-branding CEO ! :)

I guess as always, if the financial figures are not there, the CEO goes.

Hard to imagine they had a great second semester in 2016 when no cameras went out of the door, neither the X1D nor the H6-100c.

That's life at the top.
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: hubell on January 27, 2017, 07:48:53 am
Only the principals directly involved know the real reasons why Perry Oosting is leaving Hasselblad now, and they may very well have different takes on it. One thing we do know is that the launch of the X1D has NOT been smooth. It's a tribute to the brilliance of the product design that it still appears to be so successful despite the poor execution of the launch.
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: razrblck on January 27, 2017, 08:24:59 am
Hasselblad seems to have find it's niche now, which is very far from the rebranded Sony compacts of the past. Perry Oosting could've tied his role to some specific objectives, besides he is staying on the board so he can keep advising the company and have a nice paycheck, without all the hassle and responsibility of a CEO. I would put my signature on it!

They are going to look for someone more suited to long term plans now, which is quite normal. Hasselblad has the huge advantage that they can sell a quality product on the name alone even if it lacks many of the features of the competition. People buying Hasselblad expect reliability, picture quality, consistency. The bleeding edge is found elsewhere, but it often comes with imperfect execution and/or issues. They have reversed their direction in less than two years, which is not bad at all!
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: D76 on January 27, 2017, 08:42:02 am
What company owns Hasselblad?
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: Domenico on January 27, 2017, 09:29:34 am
Hasselblad is owned by "Ventizz Capital" found that's the same situation of Phase that is owned by "Silverfleet Capital" found.

In my vision, mr Perry Oosting was very clever and brilliant manager of this renewed "Hasselblad" company  that in this moment is the most innovative and exciting company in the medium format scenario, if not in the entire photographic scene.

The recent innovative ideas that lead this change are strongly radicated in the research and development dept. that was never connected or influenced by the CEO, in any case i think the new CEO is very lucky driving the most important brand today existing in the world.

P.S. the pre ordered X1D's are arriving at the stores !!!

Domenico.
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 27, 2017, 10:04:04 am
I wish they have success, but they really need to start delivering the cameras to customers. Otherwise, there are other options available (e.g. Fuji), and it could be too late for them.
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: Domenico on January 27, 2017, 10:11:11 am
I wish they have success, but they really need to start delivering the cameras to customers. Otherwise, there are other options available (e.g. Fuji), and it could be too late for them.

Officially Hasselblad stated high quantity delivery is started !!

www.instagram.com/p/BPxNsmNDn9l/ (https://www.instagram.com/p/BPxNsmNDn9l/)

Many are already receiving,  hurry to the shop and buy one if want it !
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: Chris Barrett on January 27, 2017, 11:00:36 am
of course "all time high quantities" could mean anything more than 2 or 3, right?
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: melgross on January 27, 2017, 11:40:47 am
While I wish the company well, I'm not so sure the X1D is what pros want. This looks like what Leica seems to be doing these days, which is aiming their sales at well heeled amateurs who are looking for the brand name.

When comparing this to the Fuji product, it comes away wanting. Yes, it's thin, no question about that. But otherwise, it seems to be lacking a lot. Comparing the two head to head, the Fuji wins everywhere other than thinness. Pricewise, the Fuji kills it. The same is true for lenses.

I wonder what will happen after the pent up demand from Hassleblad enthusiasts is over?

I'm saying this here, because this is the child of Mr. Oosting. And so, before everyone waxes enthusiastic over what he's done, we need to step back and give this time to move to its true position. I get a feeling that this will be for amateurs, and the Fuji will be for pros.
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: razrblck on January 27, 2017, 11:56:46 am
The X1D is not for pros, or better yet is not a workhorse camera. Some pros may grab it anyway and integrate it in their workflows, but it's more like a leisure camera for people who can afford it or Hasselblad shooters that want something with the same colors they can take on vacation.

The Fuji GFX 50s, despite being a mirrorless camera like the X1D, is actually competing in the market of the H6D-50.
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: hasselbladfan on January 27, 2017, 12:12:32 pm
.... This looks like what Leica seems to be doing these days, which is aiming their sales at well heeled amateurs who are looking for the brand name.

..., the Fuji wins everywhere other than thinness. Pricewise, the Fuji kills it. The same is true for lenses.

..., we need to step back and give this time to move to its true position. I get a feeling that this will be for amateurs, and the Fuji will be for pros.

I would disagree, I think it is very smart what they are doing. But, I am probably biased, because I work with Hasselblad since 1988.

There is no camera company that can survive only with products for pro's these days. If they can convince 50% of the current Hasselblad users to buy an X1D, as well as some "well heeled consumers" (who is jealous?), they are massively broadening their user base. And they may survive. Just like Porsche did with their Cayenne model. Great!

Yes, Fuji is 1500 bucks cheaper, so what. I will have (roughly) the same camera software between the H6 and the X1D. Easy. On location, I will cut my weight in 2, while still being able to use my favorite HC lenses (if I want).

The first 3 new lenses seem to be top-notch if I can believe the first reports from users. I have not seen any Fuji lens reports. I am sure they will be good also.

It is going to be a great 2017.
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: IanB on January 27, 2017, 12:21:15 pm
One of these days I'll meet a pro who doesn't try to lecture me on how my camera cannot possibly do the things which I have been doing with it perfectly OK for nearly twenty years.

Maybe I shouldn't hold my breath...
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: Telecaster on January 27, 2017, 03:56:01 pm
One of these days I'll meet a pro who doesn't try to lecture me on how my camera cannot possibly do the things which I have been doing with it perfectly OK for nearly twenty years.

The pros I know "in the flesh" all get that it's the fool, not the tool. Any camera in their hands is a pro camera.

-Dave-
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: BAB on January 27, 2017, 10:23:08 pm
If the new CEO can get the firmware cooked bravo.
As for the camera rants it's always those who never shot with the tool and draws the conclusions from the specs that's the fool!
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: hasselbladfan on January 28, 2017, 06:31:06 am
As for the camera rants it's always those who never shot with the tool and draws the conclusions from the specs that's the fool!

+1
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: Bo_Dez on January 28, 2017, 07:56:00 am
One of these days I'll meet a pro who doesn't try to lecture me on how my camera cannot possibly do the things which I have been doing with it perfectly OK for nearly twenty years.

Maybe I shouldn't hold my breath...

It's funny I get this too but I am a professional. I get it from people who have no idea about what I do and they tell me they know better. From other pros but also amateurs and other people who wouldn't have a clue. Then there are people who have no idea how to make a living from a creative pursuit who tell you they know better, like they know the industry. It is so common and from people who are sometimes very close, like family etc, and it really used to wind me up - now I just nod and smile and say "wow, that's amazing". I've come to the general conclusion that people can just really suck sometimes and posturing and jealousy is just far more common than I care for.

Live and let live I say.
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: SCFrieze3 on January 28, 2017, 09:00:54 am
 :) thanks that was well said. 
I would disagree, I think it is very smart what they are doing. But, I am probably biased, because I work with Hasselblad since 1988.

There is no camera company that can survive only with products for pro's these days. If they can convince 50% of the current Hasselblad users to buy an X1D, as well as some "well heeled consumers" (who is jealous?), they are massively broadening their user base. And they may survive. Just like Porsche did with their Cayenne model. Great!

Yes, Fuji is 1500 bucks cheaper, so what. I will have (roughly) the same camera software between the H6 and the X1D. Easy. On location, I will cut my weight in 2, while still being able to use my favorite HC lenses (if I want).

The first 3 new lenses seem to be top-notch if I can believe the first reports from users. I have not seen any Fuji lens reports. I am sure they will be good also.

It is going to be a great 2017.
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: NickT on January 28, 2017, 02:03:26 pm
I was shooting our old nanny's wedding as a favour (way outside my comfort zone) when the father of the bride approached me and said:

"So is the difference between my photos and your photos because your camera takes pictures faster?"
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: razrblck on January 28, 2017, 02:11:13 pm
"So is the difference between my photos and your photos because your camera takes pictures faster?"

Then this means the iPhone is the best pro camera ever made. That thing can take photos as quickly as you can tap the screen! :P
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: hasselbladfan on January 29, 2017, 04:16:52 am
of course "all time high quantities" could mean anything more than 2 or 3, right?

Not according to Ming Thein, who just visited Hasselblad :

Changes in management happen all the time in every other industry .... it doesn’t matter so long as the customers are being serviced, or serviced better, which includes the long-term system plan (no changes there) and delivery (improving, X1D production to reach the thousands by February).
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: BernardLanguillier on January 29, 2017, 03:50:35 pm
It is unfortunate as Perry seemed to be a great guy and a good match for Hasselblad.

There are many possible reasons:
- personnal constraints, starting with family or health issues,
- lack of alignement with some inputs from DJI,
- other opportunities
- ...

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: hubell on January 29, 2017, 05:44:53 pm
It is unfortunate as Perry seemed to be a great guy and a good match for Hasselblad.

There are many possible reasons:
- personnal constraints, starting with family or health issues,
- lack of alignement with some inputs from DJI,
- other opportunities
- ...

Cheers,
Bernard

How about: MONEY?
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: BernardLanguillier on January 29, 2017, 05:51:15 pm

How about: MONEY?

Yes, that's part of other opportunities.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: Stephen Scharf on January 30, 2017, 04:11:21 pm
Yes, that's part of other opportunities.

Cheers,
Bernard

It not unusual, in fact, it's almost SOP that when one company buys another (or acquires "control") for the current CEO/executive to move on to "pursue other opportunities". As soon as I saw Kevin's article, I knew that Perry would be "moving on..."
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: cgarnerhome on January 30, 2017, 04:31:04 pm
They seemed to have a well defined product strategy thanks to Perry but it appears he was light on operational execution.  Different skill set.  They need leadership that now can deliver - pun intended.
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: Stephen Scharf on January 30, 2017, 08:20:06 pm
They seemed to have a well defined product strategy thanks to Perry but it appears he was light on operational execution.  Different skill set.  They need leadership that now can deliver - pun intended.

Yes, agreed, good points. Operations skill sets are quite different than "strategic" ones.

-Stephen
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: BernardLanguillier on January 31, 2017, 12:18:45 am
Yes, agreed, good points. Operations skill sets are quite different than "strategic" ones.

Yes, but there is no way to know from outside whether the delays are the result of lack of operational skills or the result of other reasons, such as inability to hire quickly enough suitably skilled resources, some technical issues not identified by his engineers,...

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Perry Oosting steps down as CEO of Hasselblad
Post by: Christopher Sanderson on January 31, 2017, 08:07:25 am
Once again, Ming Thein has posted a very balanced, informative and optimistic blog post (https://blog.mingthein.com/2017/01/29/short-term-pain-long-term-gain/#more-14094) on the DJI acquisition and Perry Oosting's departure.