Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: MattBurt on January 17, 2017, 01:34:03 pm

Title: Neversink trail
Post by: MattBurt on January 17, 2017, 01:34:03 pm
I took a nice morning walk with the wife and dog a couple of days ago at the nearby trail called Neversink. It goes along a natural diversion of the Gunnison River which stays pretty calm and slow moving. It also doesn't seem to freeze easily so I wonder if there is some geothermal warming here. If so it is pretty weak as the river doesn't steam unless it's extremely cold.
(https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/498/31559471433_7dc22d19f3_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/Q5NxkP)IMGP1297-Edit-2 (https://flic.kr/p/Q5NxkP) by Matt Burt (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbnet/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Neversink trail
Post by: sdwilsonsct on January 17, 2017, 02:44:18 pm
I like the symmetry and processing here.
Title: Re: Neversink trail
Post by: Bob_B on January 17, 2017, 05:24:14 pm
+1. Love the reflection of the trees in the still water.
Title: Re: Neversink trail
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 17, 2017, 11:56:41 pm
Good seeing.
Title: Re: Neversink trail
Post by: MattBurt on January 18, 2017, 12:21:32 am
Thanks for the comments!
The curve of the water's edge drew me in and I managed to position myself to dial in the reflection and composition.
Processing done with Lightroom and Silver Efex Pro.
Title: Re: Neversink trail
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 18, 2017, 03:21:01 am
The mirror-like reflections convey a lovely sense of tranquillity. On the other hand, someone is sure to moan about the lack of detail in the snow  ;)

Jeremy
Title: Re: Neversink trail
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 18, 2017, 04:16:37 am
Perfect winter scene. I would just clone out the remnants of branches on the sky top left side.
Title: Re: Neversink trail
Post by: Tony Jay on January 18, 2017, 04:30:09 am
Unusual rendering but an extraordinarily striking and beautiful result!

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Neversink trail
Post by: sarrasani on January 18, 2017, 08:18:48 am
clap hands from me.  Tones (also for snow, very high but with texture) and more composition are superb and masterful.
ALl the best,
sandro
Title: Re: Neversink trail
Post by: MattBurt on January 18, 2017, 12:02:46 pm
The mirror-like reflections convey a lovely sense of tranquillity. On the other hand, someone is sure to moan about the lack of detail in the snow  ;)

Jeremy

Well let them moan then. :)
The snow was smooth and unspoiled so there wasn't much detail. I could have probably brought some out in post but I like the clean whiteness of it. Snow detail has a place but in my mind this isn't it.

Perfect winter scene. I would just clone out the remnants of branches on the sky top left side.

Yes, I missed those. There were a few on the right too and they must have distracted me. I agree they should go.

Unusual rendering but an extraordinarily striking and beautiful result!

Tony Jay

clap hands from me.  Tones (also for snow, very high but with texture) and more composition are superb and masterful.
ALl the best,
sandro

Thank you both and everyone else!
Title: Re: Neversink trail
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 18, 2017, 02:22:41 pm
Well let them moan then. :)
The snow was smooth and unspoiled so there wasn't much detail. I could have probably brought some out in post but I like the clean whiteness of it. Snow detail has a place but in my mind this isn't it.

I couldn't agree more. I've felt the same about some of my shots recently...

Jeremy
Title: Re: Neversink trail
Post by: MattBurt on January 18, 2017, 03:51:04 pm
I couldn't agree more. I've felt the same about some of my shots recently...

Jeremy

This reminds me of my evolution with blown skies. While I try to avoid them sometimes they are perfectly acceptable and necessary for the rest of the image to work. I used to fight with dynamic range to not blow them and I think I blew some shots because of that (but the sky wasn't blown!). Sometimes that just isn't important and I'm generally not a sky swapper.