Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: sdwilsonsct on November 27, 2016, 08:23:18 am
-
I find forests quite challenging.
Feedback welcome.
-
Hi Scott,
I find it quite refreshing to read a candid remark about someone's own work on Lu-La. So I thank you.
About forest fotos, I too find them challenging, but also intriguing -especially the possibilities with dynamic range. So I bracket as much as possible and under-expose when necessary.
As for composition, they're extra challenging for me. All that life! How to make an understandable foto of it ?
Your foto- to me- seems a little over-exposed because the shadows are so light. But I wasn't there when you took it and of course I don't know what you are intending.
No matter what I or anyone else thinks of it, I urge you to keep photographing forests. They're the world's richest ecosystems, and for me, as beautiful as anywhere (maybe more so).
Richard
-
I find forests very hard to photograph, especially if there is direct sun involved.
I think this one is very fine.
If you reprocess it to lower the shadows some, as Richard suggests, I'd be interested in seeing the result.
-
I like the "almost dancing" tree trunks. Like the others, I miss the shadows, looks almost HDR-esque?
-
Like the others, I miss the shadows, looks almost HDR-esque?
Thanks for the comments. The first posted version is close to how I saw it. Image #1 attached here is an unprocessed file.
Image #2 attached here has the shadows lowered. To me, it is more attractive, but more different from my memory of the place.
Yes, this is HDR.
-
OK, now I'd suggest trying for a version about half-way between your original post and this new version.
With some shadows, but a bit less harsh.
-
Thanks for the comments. The first posted version is close to how I saw it. Image #1 attached here is an unprocessed file.
Image #2 attached here has the shadows lowered. To me, it is more attractive, but more different from my memory of the place.
Yes, this is HDR.
Scott - forests are truly difficult to get right. i would err on the side of more natural, but darker shadows. On the occasional time I process HDR, I find it helpful to work first with a non-HDR image and attempt to process it to the way I'd like it for the mid-tomes, knowing that shadows and highlights won't be quite right. Only then do I blend the HDR images.
For this photo specifically, it's the un-naturalness of the shadows on the closest tree which seem to wrap around it from the either side down near the base, yet, the side that should be darkest, the facing the viewer, is not. There is also a harshness to the local contrast that I feel makes everything look overly rough.
I do like the photo, though; the sun really adds an element of depth.
-
For this photo specifically, it's the un-naturalness of the shadows on the closest tree which seem to wrap around it from the either side down near the base, yet, the side that should be darkest, the facing the viewer, is not.
Thanks, Terry -- I wasn't able to put my finger on it, but this explains a lot of the unnaturalness. I'll look into your other suggestions too.
-
someone could consider a little confused this kind of composition.
But I like these wild scenarios also (or more) with also diagonal-almost horizontal elements.
And here also tones subtleness and well controlled colours works very well, with the direct sun adding something more. Very pleasurable
and well done for my tastes.
All the best,
Sandro
-
it's the un-naturalness of the shadows on the closest tree which seem to wrap around it from the either side down near the base, yet, the side that should be darkest, the facing the viewer, is not.
I think the shadows on the left side of the trunks is due to an opening in the forest on the right.
In this last version I have tried Terry's suggestion of pre-processing the best exposure prior to HDR fusing.
Thanks, Sandro!
-
To my eyes the latest version is the most convincing.
Terry is a good one to listen to.