Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: ears on November 05, 2016, 05:09:25 am
-
We are planning a trip to Everest Base Camp (EBC) next year. I am due to a new camera, leaning towards fuji, but the IBIS on the new OMD em1 mk2 is appealing. I probably would take two lenses, but I need help with focal length recommendations. Has anyone here done similar? what worked well?
Thanks in advance.
Ears
-
I did it 8 years ago with a D3, D2x, 17-35f2.8 and 70-300. I may have also brought my 60mm macro but ended up not using it much at all.
Even from Kalapatar or Gokio ri (we passed the Chola pass), the everest is pretty far and you'll want to bring a tele.
I did most grand landscape with stitching at the time.
Cheers,
Bernard
-
thank you for your reply. I am thinking x-t2 with the 18-55 and 55-200, as they have OIS and I might not be as steady as always. Wide enough?
Ears
-
What time of the year are you going? I've been to the Khumbu Valley several times, climbed up to the North Col (on the Tibet side), as well as working at Base Camp for a six-week climbing season, so am pretty familiar with the region.
You'll need telephotos more than UWAs, although it'd be nice to have at least a 24mm full-frame equivalent. Even if you don't have that, it's no disaster - there may be opportunities to shoot wider, but mountains don't move and are far away, allowing you to stitch easily. Most of your (landscape) photo opportunities will be at 100mm and up (on full-frame). Not sure about people, since I don't tend to shoot them with cameras.
The Khumbu valley is a challenging area for photography because of its geography. Most of the mountains you'll want to photograph lie to the east of the trail. This means that the sun rises behind them and you'll only get the golden light on the peaks at sunset. Unfortunately, apart from the winter months, there is, almost invariably, heavy cloud cover during the late afternoon and evening, meaning that you can't see the peaks then anyway. Many of your shots will probably be in broad daylight.
Fortunately, there's another very good source of light there - the moon. In the early hours of the morning, before sunrise, there will be almost no cloud cover, and very little wind. Time your trip right and you can use the setting moon as a source of light for some great landscapes. Even without that, you can still shoot night landscapes by starlight.
Which brings me to perhaps the most important thing - bring a sturdy tripod and remote release with a bulb mode timer. And make sure you know your lenses before using them for long exposures - some of them should have IS turned off to prevent them from compensating for movement that's not there, while others (particularly long telephotos) benefit from IS being left on, due to slight movements from wind.
-
thank you for your reply. I am thinking x-t2 with the 18-55 and 55-200, as they have OIS and I might not be as steady as always. Wide enough?
I have no experience at Everest, but I do have that gear. Nice compact kit. I'd probably throw the 14mm/2.8 in there as well, as I like wide angles. I don't find the 18-55 wide enough in general - you could look at the 16-55, but that is significantly larger and heavier. I returned the one I bought for that reason.
One thing to note: in my experience the OIS on this lenses is not as advanced as on, say, Canon. I have found that I need to keep it off most of the time, and turn it on only when the shutter speed creeps into the range where OIS becomes useful, otherwise at fast shutter speeds I can get bands of unsharpness in random places in the image. Frustrating. It definitely needs to be off when on a tripod.
Hope you have a great trip.
-
As you mention... the ibis of the new e-m1 looks very appealing. The 40-150 pro gives 300mm reach and is amazing and quite small for what it is. The 12-100 would give a nice 24-200mm view with 6.5 stops of stabilization. I'de still take a tripod....but it's interesting. Or a 12-40 pro and the Panasonic 100-400 Leica. Would be a very robust kit that takes less space than a rebel with kit lenses. And you would have great weather resistance.
-
As you mention... the ibis of the new e-m1 looks very appealing. The 40-150 pro gives 300mm reach and is amazing and quite small for what it is. The 12-100 would give a nice 24-200mm view with 6.5 stops of stabilization. I'de still take a tripod....but it's interesting. Or a 12-40 pro and the Panasonic 100-400 Leica. Would be a very robust kit that takes less space than a rebel with kit lenses. And you would have great weather resistance.
Those telephotos are not that light. The one from m43 that is really much lighter than the rest is the Pana 35-100 F2.8 .
-
Thanks for the useful replies. I will be travelling april-may, end of spring? I think that is.
I think the tripod will be the hardest decision by the sounds of it.
Ears
-
For what it's worth, some images captured during that trip:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/albums/72157604790836498
Cheers,
Bernard
-
I trekked from Tumlingtar to EBC about 30 years ago with an OM1 and OM2, one loaded with B&W, the other 'chrome, and I took lenses from 24mm to 200mm (don't ask me what they were except that I think the 24mm was a Tamron). I used them all and was happy with the 24mm as my wide lens. I "see" wider now though and would add an UW lens or 2 below 28mm FOV.
Great memories ....
-
I have been there 4 times since 1985. First time I had 21mm, 55mm and 135mm lenses, most shots were 21 and 135. With modern digital technology having a true WA is not as important as you can always stitch, but shooting grand mountain vistas is not everything, there are also villages and monasteries along the way where you will want to capture wide-angle shots. 16mm on APS-C is wide enough, though, so 16-55 with fuji is OK. 55-200 would be a good companion to that. Have a spare P&S if something happens to your main WA lens. If you are employing a porter then tripod is not a problem at all.
Are you going with a fixed itinerary group or independently? Going independently is cheaper and gives flexibility (acclimatization, health, weather), if you have the time.
-
We are still planning, so far we are thinking of joining a group. but we are flexible at this stage. it sounds like 200mm is long enough? I'm seriously thinking about the new 12-100mm from olympus as the only lens i take. and maybe the em5 mk2 for small and light weight. i was initially thinking the fuji kit, but i'm worried if I'm tired i might not be bothered changing lens or worse dropping one.
-
great photos BernardLanguillier. what filters would be most useful ? polarising and graduated ND?
-
great photos BernardLanguillier. what filters would be most useful ? polarising and graduated ND?
Thanks for your kind words.
I didn't use any filter.
At those altitudes in April the air is very dry and pure, using a PL results in skies that are very dark.
Cheers,
Bernard
-
We are still planning, so far we are thinking of joining a group. but we are flexible at this stage. it sounds like 200mm is long enough? I'm seriously thinking about the new 12-100mm from olympus as the only lens i take. and maybe the em5 mk2 for small and light weight. i was initially thinking the fuji kit, but i'm worried if I'm tired i might not be bothered changing lens or worse dropping one.
How many of you are going? Forming your own group with your own guide and one porter per 2 trekkers is the most convenient way of trekking, if that style of trekking suits you (some people want to carry their gear and want no guides etc, which is also fine). It is also more flexible it you have the time (should have) as you can change the itinerary on the fly. Also cheaper, as you can deal with the Nepalese trekking agencies directly, cutting the western travel agent with 40% commission from the supply chain. Get a deal which includes the transportation, permits, guiding and portering, but no food & lodgings, as then you can choose the places where to sleep and eat yourself, guide having only the advisory status, not decision making power over those matter. This is mentally surprisingly important, as experience has shown. I have been to Nepal 9 times myself, so far, and going again next year if the second hip replacement operation goes well also, hopefully.
By the way, there are several route options on the EBC trail, which 95% of trekkers miss, by just going up and down the same trails with everybody elseand not using some imagination and map reading skills. Send PM if interested.
The agency we have used to arrange our treks, varying in size from one lone porter-guide to a staff of 31 strong camping crew, also climbing expedition to Baruntse, is Iceland Trekking and Expedition, http://www.iceland-trekking.com . They have fair and transparent pricing structure. Tell Tendy Sherpa, the owner, that mr Petri from Finland sent you.
---------
What comes to the lenses I did have a 300mm lens on my first trek around Annapurna and Annapurna Sanctuary in 1984, but have not had anything longer than 135mm since. Too little use, really, considering the size and weight. The first time I hiked AC with a digital camera I had Canon 5D with 24-105mm zoom, and that was just fine, even if on the heavy side. The last time I trekked in Nepal I had Nikon D800E with 24-120mm, ditto. 12-100mm would be quite ideal as an only lens. A faster WA would be nice for the monasteries and lodge interiors, though, and as a spare lens.
Pictures from 2006 Annapurna Circuit are here: https://get.google.com/albumarchive/109958612223411682295/album/AF1QipOrYlthuJ_XyNbJ2pqHN0OKVgAQnRS8ANrzv18k
Pictures from 2009 trip to Manaslu, Naar-Pho, Tilicho Lake, Annapurna Sanctuary, Everest BC (52 days), here: https://get.google.com/albumarchive/109958612223411682295/album/AF1QipM-DBd1d6e67WDzuqCJ1bIwF2nIVlOZVfdko6Lj
-
great photos. just my wife and I are going. I have done a lot of tramping (NZ bush walking term), but quite a few years ago. My wife hasn't done any. She is planning the trip as a present for me. She thinks a planned trek would be less stress first time around, but I hope there will be more trips that we can just 'wing it'.
Are the iceland-trekking company you mentioned one of the local owned companies? I couldn't find a EBC trek, but I assume they can arrange one if we decided to travel alone?
Thanks for the great info.
-
great photos. just my wife and I are going. I have done a lot of tramping (NZ bush walking term), but quite a few years ago. My wife hasn't done any. She is planning the trip as a present for me. She thinks a planned trek would be less stress first time around, but I hope there will be more trips that we can just 'wing it'.
Are the iceland-trekking company you mentioned one of the local owned companies? I couldn't find a EBC trek, but I assume they can arrange one if we decided to travel alone?
Thanks for the great info.
Iceland Trekking is owned by Tendy Sherpa and he is running a great agency. This year their Everest expedition put all 21 climbers to the summit, so they can arrange anything from a big Everest expeditions down to one porter-guide and anything in between. A two person EBC trek would likely cost you something around $1600-1800 for the both of you, add about $50-60 day for food and lodgings, again for the two of you. Thus the total cost would be something around $1200-1350 per person, max. Just a rough estimate to compare the costs to fixed packages. You can get a decent hotel room in Kathmandu tourist area for $30 or so.
Of course a tour from your home country would be convenient and easy, also safe from the consumer rights point of view if something goes awry, if it includes flights, hotels and city tours, but Nepal is a fairly easy place to travel independently if you have any wits about you.
Which ever way you go there, you will like it.
-
great photos. just my wife and I are going. I have done a lot of tramping (NZ bush walking term), but quite a few years ago. My wife hasn't done any. She is planning the trip as a present for me. She thinks a planned trek would be less stress first time around, but I hope there will be more trips that we can just 'wing it'.
The only 2 challenges are altitude and potential food related issues.
Walking in Khumbu is super easy, the paths are wide and super easy to walk. Day treks in 1400m high mountains around Tokyo are a lot tougher than Nepali trekking routes.
But... be careful what you eat if you stomach isn't used to "exotic" food and listen to your body regarding altitude.
Cheers,
Bernard
-
The only 2 challenges are altitude and potential food related issues.
Walking in Khumbu is super easy, the paths are wide and super easy to walk. Day treks in 1400m high mountains around Tokyo are a lot tougher than Nepali trekking routes.
But... be careful what you eat if you stomach isn't used to "exotic" food and listen to your body regarding altitude.
Cheers,
Bernard
Depends which route. I certainly wouldn't regard the Dhaulagiri Circuit, Ice Col trek over Amphu Lapsa, Shipton La pass or the Kanchenjunga routes (via either Lapsang La or Mirgin La) as easy. With the exception of Mirgin La, they're probably even tougher than Bhutan's 27-day Snowman trek.
-
Depends which route. I certainly wouldn't regard the Dhaulagiri Circuit, Ice Col trek over Amphu Lapsa, Shipton La pass or the Kanchenjunga routes (via either Lapsang La or Mirgin La) as easy. With the exception of Mirgin La, they're probably even tougher than Bhutan's 27-day Snowman trek.
Those routes are not in Khumbu, but even the EBC trek can include more demanding and rewarding routes than the bog standard Lukla-Namche-Tengpoche-EBC and back trail. Examples:
- Route via Mong La to Phortse to Pangpoche is much more scenic than the standard Namche - Tengpoche - Pangpoche trail. If going to EBC only it should be used either on the way up, or down. For some strange reason hardly anybody does it.
- Acclimatization hikes to Chukhung Valley, up to Imja Tse BC and Amphu Labtsa Phedi
- Certainly Gokyo is a nice extra, which can be accessed either via Cho La pass (semi-tough) or walk-around via Phortse.
- Exit from Gokyo via Renjo La to Thame to Namche, has been getting more popular lately.
- Ama Dablam BC as day/acclimatization trip from Pangpoche
- 3 passes route has become a hit of sorts lately: Chukhung - Kongma La - Lobuche, Dzongla - Cho La - Gokyo, Gokyo - Renjo La - Thame. Adds about 5-6 days to standard EBC trek.
- There is a new trail from Thame to Phakding bypassing Namche. Trail was built by the uber-expensive Yeti Mountain Home lodge network, which has a lodge at 4000m+ altitude on the Kongde Plateau overlooking Namche and Everest. Easy to see on Google map & earth services satellite views.
- Return from Dingpoche via Amphu Labtsa, Mera La, Zatrwa La to Lukla. This requires alpine equipment and climbing, I did this 31 years ago, took 6 days including Mera summit, real adventure.
- Naturally walking in and/or out from/to Jiri/Shivalaya or now Phaplu/Salleri is more rewarding and cheaper than flying to Lukla and back, which is kind of cheating, really.
-
I am sure there is a lot more, I was just commenting about the course described by the OP.
We had in fact done the Gokyo -> Chola -> EBC trek over 19 days. Even the Chola pass was, I thought, fairly easy if you forget that you are above 5,000m. That is in good weather. Snow would obviously change everything and you'd need some basic mountaineering equipment.
Cheers,
Bernard
-
So, still agonising over lens and camera choice. Definitely a fuji xt2. I have been considering, 18-55, 55-200. or 14mm, 18-135mm, or 18-55, 90mm.
Is the 90mm long enough? I would be concerned that the 18-135mm is not sharp enough, but it is a WR lens and an almost single lens option.
Thanks for all of the walking advice. So far we have decided to join a group for ease of planning due to time constraints. A standard EBC walk.
Ears
-
Another option... is having one camera body with a telephoto zoom and then another small body with a wide lens that is your most comfortable view. For example, ive traveled with telephoto before, and then just carried an X100 with me. It weighs less than most lenses and is smaller than most cameras. And it leaves you with a backup camera just in case. I like having a second camera just in case, especially when im a long ways from a recovery method.
Having a second battery setup is sometimes annoying unless you can line things up right. Then again, a couple extra batteries has never that much of an issue for me so I don't need to carry chargers.
-
So, still agonising over lens and camera choice. Definitely a fuji xt2. I have been considering, 18-55, 55-200. or 14mm, 18-135mm, or 18-55, 90mm.
14mm and 18-135mm gets my vote. 2 lenses are safer than one. You'll need something wide anyway, for villages, monasteries, etc.
-
hi Guys, thanks for all of the information regarding the camera system and trekking in Nepal. I am now a proud owner of the x-t2 and 18-135mm (wrapped up under the Christmas tree) and have booked a trip for next october. I will also cary the 14mm lens also. We will be going with a trekking company and the training has begun.
Thanks for all of your help!
Ears