Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Farmer on August 13, 2016, 02:12:34 am
-
I'm getting back into some photography. For last several years I've been doing a Master's degree on top of many other things going on in my life and as such, as a hobby, photography has fallen away. However, I've just updated to an A7Rii (from an old A700), using some old glass and the new FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM, with some more to come. I'm already enjoying it :-)
It's also time to update polarising and UV filters to protect the old and new glass and for normal intended benefits of the filters. The question is, what do people recommend for the current level of digital cameras, digital-tuned glass, and so on. I'm looking at some nice Zeiss filters at the moment, but input from the folks here is always useful and appreciated.
Thanks!
-
do people recommend
http://www.lenstip.com/139.1-article-Polarizing_filters_test_2015.html
http://www.lenstip.com/120.1-article-UV_filters_test_-_supplement.html
http://www.lenstip.com/115.1-article-Polarizing_filters_test.html
http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article-UV_filters_test.html
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/10-Stop-Neutral-Density-Filter.aspx
https://fstoppers.com/bestfiltertest
etc
-
Thanks - some useful guides there - I've read some in depth and will go back over the rest today.
If anyone has some first hand experience or preferences they'd like to share, that would be great, too.
-
I never use a UV filter. All filters degrade the image, especially with a high MP camera.
I only use polarising and ND occasionally when I need to, mainly because all my current ones are too small for go to lenses with 95 and 82mm filter rings.
-
I carry some ND's and Polarisers for the fishing stuff - all B+W.
For ND's I find the -3 stop are good enough to slow moving water and not hard to focus with ect and
for the polarisers I like the XS Pro's.
If there's any issues with the quality of these I can't see it on the shots out of the D810.
FWIW, I've had Hoya Pro filters in the past, but found they scratched easily and that the 2 part polarisers came lose.
The Image quality seemed fine just the same.
-
Thanks - interesting about the Hoya coatings.
-
I'm getting back into some photography. For last several years I've been doing a Master's degree on top of many other things going on in my life and as such, as a hobby, photography has fallen away. However, I've just updated to an A7Rii (from an old A700), using some old glass and the new FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM, with some more to come. I'm already enjoying it :-)
It's also time to update polarising and UV filters to protect the old and new glass and for normal intended benefits of the filters. The question is, what do people recommend for the current level of digital cameras, digital-tuned glass, and so on. I'm looking at some nice Zeiss filters at the moment, but input from the folks here is always useful and appreciated.
Thanks!
I have not used a UV filter for many years and have yet to scratch a lens despite not always being the most gentle of camera handlers. They can degrade the image, although I imagine the high quality ones probably have an indiscernible impact. BW filters are very high quality but the front part is stiff to rotate and can be a bother (at least on the 2 BW polarizers I have used). Hoya is equally high quality IMO and the polarizer rotation is just the right stiffness.
-
I'm getting back into some photography. For last several years I've been doing a Master's degree on top of many other things going on in my life and as such, as a hobby, photography has fallen away. However, I've just updated to an A7Rii (from an old A700), using some old glass and the new FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM, with some more to come. I'm already enjoying it :-)
It's also time to update polarising and UV filters to protect the old and new glass and for normal intended benefits of the filters. The question is, what do people recommend for the current level of digital cameras, digital-tuned glass, and so on. I'm looking at some nice Zeiss filters at the moment, but input from the folks here is always useful and appreciated.
Thanks!
Unless you need UV filtering or have a penchant for sticking crap into your front element, my recommendation is to skip the "protection". Obviously, there are situations where protection is advisable, but it is like any other filter decision, you ask what do I need it for.
As to Circular Polarizers, I prefer the Nikon CPL II. The Breakthrough Photography CPLs get great reviews. And if you need a weather tight one, then B&W makes a good one.
-
Thank you again for the replies, guys. It's looking like B+W get lots of good mentions. Thus far, I've never scratched a lens, either, but there will be times when I'll be more concerned about the possibility, and having a decent UV to stick on the front of expensive glass will help my peace of mind. Polarisers are for a specific purpose, obviously.
-
Thanks to the links of filter tests. Considering the high cost of filters (often much higher on a "per element" of glass than lenses and none of the complexity of glass types, curvature, alignment, movement, motorisation, mounting, electronics etc of lenses) one has to wonder about their marketing as being a cash cow for manufacturers, and a loss of quality for photographic users. Of course if you desire polarisation then you need to use one. Or want splash proof front on your lens, then there may be a place. Ive had heliopan and leica polarisers delaminate to be unusable, amazing considering their high cost.
-
All camera stores push filters because they are a high profit item.
-
All camera stores push filters because they are a high profit item.
A truism of the highest order...
Peter