Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: luxborealis on July 18, 2016, 03:39:30 pm

Title: A few from Wales
Post by: luxborealis on July 18, 2016, 03:39:30 pm
I spent a weekend in south Wales with friends - what a beauty corner of the world. The thing I like most about the UK and Europe is how historical imprints are overlaid on the natural landscape to create wonderful scenes.

Like many of you, no doubt, I forgo the purchase of "souvenirs" and take what ever time is available to make personal photographs that, for me, have far more meaning than the trinkets or post cards available in most gift shops. Here are a few...

C&C&Q welcome.
Title: Re: A few from Wales
Post by: Chairman Bill on July 18, 2016, 04:42:29 pm
Nicely done. It is indeed a beautiful place. Even Newport has its charms. Give me a few days & I'll think of some ...
Title: Re: A few from Wales
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on July 18, 2016, 05:33:28 pm
The second and third (monochromatic) images are outstanding.
Title: Re: A few from Wales
Post by: Colorado David on July 18, 2016, 06:08:05 pm
Well done.  My mother was Welsh and I inherited her skin type.  It's her fault I'm sunburned today. Ha!
Title: Re: A few from Wales
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 18, 2016, 07:57:59 pm
That's a very fine set, Terry.
Title: Re: A few from Wales
Post by: Bob_B on July 18, 2016, 08:19:12 pm
Very meaningful trinkets! I too love the b/w scene, but all are beautiful. Well done and welcome back.
Title: Re: A few from Wales
Post by: drmike on July 19, 2016, 02:54:03 am
As an aside I love those fences made from slate. It's so practical. What have we got lots of? Slate. And time. Which is less valuable - slate or wood, slate.

The other thing that stuns me in mid/north wales are the grand stone walls that divide up the fields. I know in part it's about clearing the stones from the field but they must have taken an eternity to build. We aren't talking a regular dry stone wall but massive structures. I guess they just had the time to do it.

(https://c6.staticflickr.com/7/6134/5972829757_769a68ce1d_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/a6Njcp)
Title: Re: A few from Wales
Post by: sdwilsonsct on July 19, 2016, 04:58:50 am
I like the light in the last one. I might bring it up by cropping out some sky.
Title: Re: A few from Wales
Post by: sarrasani on July 19, 2016, 07:35:06 am
3-2-1-4 my preference list.   
all the best,
sandro
Title: Re: A few from Wales
Post by: Sean H on July 19, 2016, 08:59:54 am
That's a very fine set, Terry.

+1. And the first shot is interesting for the details about the house and how coarse and strong it looks. The angled fence is what makes the picture.
Title: Re: A few from Wales
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 19, 2016, 10:44:29 am
Fine set, as has been said. I particularly like the Tintern Abbey detail shot.

Jeremy