Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Todd Suttles on June 28, 2016, 07:36:58 am
-
Reactions?
PS: something really creepy- I didn't see it until PP but there is a rattle snake strectched out sunning itself midway up the corner log joints
-
Todd, just a casual observation about this and several other posts you've recently made: it is neither here, nor there.
Meaning: you are neither closing in on the most interesting parts of a scene, nor giving a broader context for it. For example, on this one, the most interesting part, graphically speaking, is the interplay between the chairs, windows, and log walls. No need for the grass bottom for that aspect. On the other hand, providing more of the environment (context) might help deliver a different feel.
-
I agree with Slobodan, Todd. Not long ago you posted under the title: "Do you think this is worth continuing with?" The first couple shots were focused on the center part of a decaying building. When you backed off and included some context things started falling into place. Closer works well when there's a single object of interest in the picture, but without that single target context is important.
-
I think I like it but I'm not sure why.
The black&white is good (IMHO), yet I thinkg that what gives sense to the image for me is a strange feeling of "staged", of fakery of the whole scene.
This sense probably originates from the ceiling, which looks like it's a box with the two chair inside.
-
Todd, just a casual observation about this and several other posts you've recently made: it is neither here, nor there.
Meaning: you are neither closing in on the most interesting parts of a scene, nor giving a broader context for it. For example, on this one, the most interesting part, graphically speaking, is the interplay between the chairs, windows, and log walls. No need for the grass bottom for that aspect. On the other hand, providing more of the environment (context) might help deliver a different feel.
Thank you Slobodan for taking the time to comment. I will give more thought to this as I go forward. And I will see what I can pull out of the chairs & window now, even though it should have been done at capture, just to practice your point.
-
I agree with Slobodan, Todd. Not long ago you posted under the title: "Do you think this is worth continuing with?" The first couple shots were focused on the center part of a decaying building. When you backed off and included some context things started falling into place. Closer works well when there's a single object of interest in the picture, but without that single target context is important.
Thank you Russ for taking the time to comment. The example you referenced was an eye opener for me in regard to what you and Slobodan are saying. I will practice this next time I go shoot. much appreciated, t
-
A return, via crop, based on suggestions above as an exercise with what I have -without re-shooting.
-
Reactions?
PS: something really creepy- I didn't see it until PP but there is a rattle snake strectched out sunning itself midway up the corner log joints
BTW - might be coral snake, but definitely not a rattler
http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/reptiles/eastern-coral-snake/