Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: BernardLanguillier on May 10, 2016, 10:24:08 pm

Title: Kyoto alleys
Post by: BernardLanguillier on May 10, 2016, 10:24:08 pm
Hello my friends,

Having just spent a relaxed week with the family in Kyoto, I developped a liking for the many alleys leading to backstreet restaurants or houses. Which one of these 3 do you like best?

(https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7085/26942712755_2aec26f070_b.jpg)

(https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7520/26942712255_e4d6718230_o.jpg)

(https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7543/26942712485_1f092ef02f_o.jpg)

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Kyoto alleys
Post by: degrub on May 10, 2016, 10:46:21 pm
invitation and promise
journey
end of beginning

they belong together, i think

Title: Re: Kyoto alleys
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 10, 2016, 11:33:56 pm
It's a lovely group.
My first choice is #1.
Title: Re: Kyoto alleys
Post by: Ed B on May 10, 2016, 11:59:41 pm
First one, has a nice mood to it.
Title: Re: Kyoto alleys
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 11, 2016, 03:40:17 am
The first. Without a doubt.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Kyoto alleys
Post by: stamper on May 11, 2016, 03:42:37 am
All three very nice but I am partial to the third. The slow motion blur makes the image. Was it deliberate?
Title: Re: Kyoto alleys
Post by: francois on May 11, 2016, 04:03:59 am
All three are excellent but the first one is fantastic and makes my imagination rev up.
Title: Re: Kyoto alleys
Post by: Rob C on May 11, 2016, 09:09:32 am
No 1, Bernard: it's totally concentrated and about what it is.

Lovely.

Rob C
Title: Re: Kyoto alleys
Post by: BernardLanguillier on May 11, 2016, 09:26:38 am
Thank you all for your kind feedbacks, it looks like we agree about #1 then. :)

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Kyoto alleys
Post by: stamper on May 11, 2016, 09:33:07 am
No I don't agree. ;) :)
Title: Re: Kyoto alleys
Post by: RSL on May 11, 2016, 02:36:06 pm
I like 'em all, Bernard. Wish I could come back to Japan to see what it's like nowadays. I was there eight years after WW II ended, and I know it's very different now.
Title: Re: Kyoto alleys
Post by: BernardLanguillier on May 11, 2016, 05:40:29 pm
No I don't agree. ;) :)

You rebel! :) To answer your earlier question, yes it was intended. This is the only one of the 3 shot on tripod, I noticed the alley first, missed the first 2 guys and got the 3rd one. The slower shutter speed ended up being spot on.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Kyoto alleys
Post by: BernardLanguillier on May 11, 2016, 05:47:33 pm
I like 'em all, Bernard. Wish I could come back to Japan to see what it's like nowadays. I was there eight years after WW II ended, and I know it's very different now.

Thanks Russ. I didn't know, or had forgotten, that you had spent that many years in Japan. Would love to hear about your memories over a few beers some day.

I would indeed assume it changed a lot since then, although I can't say it has changed that much in the course of the last 18 years since I arrived.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Kyoto alleys
Post by: RSL on May 11, 2016, 08:18:14 pm
I wasn't there for eight years, Bernard. I was flying fighters in Korea then -- eight years after WW II ended -- and I'd have to make occasional trips to Japan. Also spent a week at the Fujia hotel, which was an R&R center in those days. Japan was still recovering from the war when I was there. On the way to Japan we stopped for refueling at Wake island and had a couple hours layover. I wandered down the road and inspected a couple of burned out Japanese two-man tanks. I'm sure it's all changed a lot since then.
Title: Re: Kyoto alleys
Post by: BernardLanguillier on May 11, 2016, 10:19:23 pm
I wasn't there for eight years, Bernard. I was flying fighters in Korea then -- eight years after WW II ended -- and I'd have to make occasional trips to Japan. Also spent a week at the Fujia hotel, which was an R&R center in those days. Japan was still recovering from the war when I was there. On the way to Japan we stopped for refueling at Wake island and had a couple hours layover. I wandered down the road and inspected a couple of burned out Japanese two-man tanks. I'm sure it's all changed a lot since then.

I had misunderstood what you had written, sorry. Clear now.

But you are right, I don't see too many smoking two-man tanks around Tokyo these days. :)

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Kyoto alleys
Post by: graeme on May 12, 2016, 04:43:07 am
A lovely set of images Bernard.
Title: Re: Kyoto alleys
Post by: BernardLanguillier on May 13, 2016, 09:36:03 am
A lovely set of images Bernard.

Thanks Graeme,

Cheers,
Bernard