Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: BobDavid on May 09, 2016, 07:31:37 pm

Title: Mercury's transit across the sun
Post by: BobDavid on May 09, 2016, 07:31:37 pm
I set my camera up and ate lunch as Mercury was in the process of making its transit across the sun. I am guessing that the object above the northern half of the frame is either a satellite or a sun spot. Mercury is the tiny dot below the yellow line
Title: Re: Mercury's transit across the sun
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 09, 2016, 08:27:08 pm
Fascinating.

But I think the upper dark spot is a drone belonging to another photographer who was trying to get too close to the sun.  ;)
Title: Re: Mercury's transit across the sun
Post by: francois on May 10, 2016, 05:51:47 am
…
But I think the upper dark spot is a drone belonging to another photographer who was trying to get too close to the sun.  ;)

Excellent explanation…  ;D
Title: Re: Mercury's transit across the sun
Post by: MattBurt on May 10, 2016, 11:44:39 pm
Nice work. Do you use a solar filter? I made one for the 2012 Venus transit. I tried to get foreground and the sun/planet combo and it technically worked but could use some refinement. I would have liked to try again today but couldn't pull it off.
Title: Re: Mercury's transit across the sun
Post by: BobDavid on May 11, 2016, 06:33:48 pm
Nice work. Do you use a solar filter? I made one for the 2012 Venus transit. I tried to get foreground and the sun/planet combo and it technically worked but could use some refinement. I would have liked to try again today but couldn't pull it off.

a stack of ND filters ---26 f/stops
Title: Re: Mercury's transit across the sun
Post by: Eldad on May 11, 2016, 11:17:37 pm
Quote
But I think the upper dark spot is a drone belonging to another photographer who was trying to get too close to the sun.  ;)
I could be a sun spot :)
Title: Re: Mercury's transit across the sun
Post by: BobDavid on May 12, 2016, 09:27:32 am
It is a sunspot. I wasn't sure until after I posted.