Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: praja343 on May 08, 2016, 04:31:13 am

Title: Dolomites
Post by: praja343 on May 08, 2016, 04:31:13 am
Would appreciate any info regarding best places and times to visit the Dolomites in the fall. Many non-photographers will also be on the trip so workshops are not an option. Thanks.
Title: Re: Dolomites
Post by: praja343 on May 16, 2016, 10:23:30 pm
Thanks for the info. I will look up the sites and come up with a program.
Title: Re: Dolomites
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 17, 2016, 12:42:35 am
Hi,

Here are some sets of pictures:

https://echophoto.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Dolomites-West

https://echophoto.smugmug.com/Travel/Dolomites

https://echophoto.smugmug.com/Travel/Dolomites2014

https://echophoto.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Dolomites-2015

Many of the above images may contain GPS info.

I agree with the Drei-Zinnen recommendation, but there are many other great places easily approachable by car. Mountain passes offer great views.

My favourites are Giau, Sella and Fedeia. In the western part there is Karersee/Carezza:
(https://echophoto.smugmug.com/Travel/Dolomites2014/i-P4Jd67N/0/X2/20140608-CF045090-X2.jpg)

In the easter part there are also a few mountain lakes. Like Pragser See, below.
(https://echophoto.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Dolomites-2015/i-TDHpjr6/1/X2/20150929-_DSC2291-X2.jpg)

Or Dürrensee (Lago Landro?):
(https://echophoto.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Dolomites-2015/i-TDHpjr6/1/X2/20150929-_DSC2291-X2.jpg)

Check this video from Sella and Drei Zinnen/Tre Cime:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/144174868

Best regards
Erik
Title: Re: Dolomites
Post by: vjbelle on May 18, 2016, 08:29:15 am
Erik..... very considerate of you to post images that have coordinates.  I would have killed for these a couple of years ago.  It took me a lot of research and time to find the locations I wanted.  A very beautiful part of the world which I intend to visit often.

Victor
Title: Re: Dolomites
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 18, 2016, 08:43:53 am
Hi Victor,

Used to be my ambition to share coordinates. The cameras I used to have were GPS-enabled. My recent stuff doesn't have GPS, unfortunately. I try to carry a GPS-logger but often forget…

Best regards
Erik


Erik..... very considerate of you to post images that have coordinates.  I would have killed for these a couple of years ago.  It took me a lot of research and time to find the locations I wanted.  A very beautiful part of the world which I intend to visit often.

Victor
Title: Re: Dolomites
Post by: praja343 on May 19, 2016, 06:04:56 am
Thanks Erik for the info. Victor ... can you share some locations of the hikes you took?
Title: Just to say
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 19, 2016, 03:22:31 pm
Hi,

This is Sella Pass, early morning on Hans Kruse's Dolomites West workshop.
(https://echophoto.smugmug.com/Travel/Dolomites2014/i-qfsb8Bq/1/1816x1063/20140606-_DSC4435-1816x1063.jpg)

This is around St Magdalena also on Hans Kruse's 2104 Dolomites West workshop:
(https://echophoto.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Dolomites-West/i-V2PqwBC/0/X3/20140603-_DSC4023-X3.jpg)

This is Passo Giau
(https://echophoto.smugmug.com/Travel/Dolomites2014/i-fpSLBML/0/1781x1063/20140607-_DSC4503-1781x1063.jpg)

This is Drei Zinnen/Tre Cime, north face.
(https://echophoto.smugmug.com/Travel/Dolomites2014/i-NWcHL7L/0/X3/20130821-_DSC2779-X3.jpg)

This is outside Max Valier observatory:
(https://echophoto.smugmug.com/Travel/Dolomites2014/i-hWXbrn6/0/X3/20140612-CF045214-X3.jpg)

This is Sella Pass on the Dolomites West workshop by Hans Kruse:
(https://echophoto.smugmug.com/Travel/Dolomites2014/i-grJdXpF/0/X3/20140605-_DSC4390-X3.jpg)

This is Seisser Alm, from Hans Kruse's Dolomits West Workshop. Seisser Alm is not normally approachable by car, but Hans has his ways to get a permit.

(https://echophoto.smugmug.com/Travel/Dolomites2014/i-b39p5Bm/1/1867x1063/20140602-_DSC3839-1867x1063.jpg)
The Dolomites are not just about mountains:

https://echophoto.smugmug.com/Places/St-Pauls-1/

Max Valer observatory:
(https://echophoto.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Dolomites-West/i-HdnmZbv/0/X3/20140612-_DSC6288-X3.jpg)

(https://echophoto.smugmug.com/Travel/Dolomites/i-kZQZcV8/1/X3/20130820-CF043880-X3.jpg)

(https://echophoto.smugmug.com/Travel/Dolomites/i-CRjQTpv/0/1719x1063/20130821-_DSC2680-1719x1063.jpg)

There are of course places of food for soul (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innichen_Abbey)
(https://photos.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Dolomites-2015/i-rMTNPFL/0/X3/20151003-_DSC2729-X3.jpg)


(https://photos.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Dolomites-2015/i-QJk4RZc/0/X3/20151003-_DSC2751-X3.jpg)

And places for food for the body (Café Silvia in Innichen/San Candido)
(https://photos.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Dolomites-2015/i-4pbDKtB/0/X3/20151003-_DSC2798-X3.jpg)
Best regards
Erik



(https://echophoto.smugmug.com/Travel/Dolomites/i-hXfVxrj/1/X3/20100525-_DSC6961-X3.jpg)
Title: Re: Dolomites
Post by: vjbelle on May 21, 2016, 08:43:40 am
Thanks Erik for the info. Victor ... can you share some locations of the hikes you took?

I didn't really do a lot of hiking other than to get to a location for photo shooting.  These were relatively short compared to what would be considered a real hike.  There are many internet sites that will have hiking recommendations - and believe me you can hike till you drop!  Try to see both sides of the Dolomites as there are things to see on both and the distance isn't that far from one side to the other.  I did get a lot of photo locations from 500px.com.  A lot of the posters also provide gps locations.  Its a little cumbersom to get around in the beginning but well worth the effort. 

Victor