Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on April 30, 2016, 01:42:47 pm

Title: iceberg
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 30, 2016, 01:42:47 pm
On the jökullsárlón ice beach. Comments?

Jeremy
Title: Re: iceberg
Post by: RSL on April 30, 2016, 02:21:41 pm
Not sure that's an iceberg. Looks as if it might be a "bergy bit" or a "growler." In any case, you caught it doing its thing.
Title: Re: iceberg
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 01, 2016, 03:56:10 am
Interesting. It probably calved off the nearby glacier into the lagoon, floated out to sea and was washed up on the beach. Was it an iceberg when in the sea? Did it lose the description when it became lodged on the beach?

Just curious.

Jeremy
Title: Re: iceberg
Post by: BernardLanguillier on May 01, 2016, 04:46:36 am
Very nice colors and subject, now honnestly the composition is sort of so so.

Another thing that I lack a sense of scale here, is this block of ice 30cm tall or 5 meters?

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: iceberg
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 01, 2016, 08:10:05 am
Very nice colors and subject, now honnestly the composition is sort of so so.

Another thing that I lack a sense of scale here, is this block of ice 30cm tall or 5 meters?

Fair point. It was pretty large, in fact, I'd guess a couple of metres high.

Jeremy
Title: Re: iceberg
Post by: RSL on May 01, 2016, 08:12:03 am
That would make it a growler.
Title: Re: iceberg
Post by: David Eckels on May 01, 2016, 11:14:35 am
With regard to Bernard's point, capturing more of the beach could have provided that sense of scale since we all know what a beach with crashing waves looks like. I think the "berglet" need some room to breath.
Title: Re: iceberg
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 02, 2016, 04:16:01 am
With regard to Bernard's point, capturing more of the beach could have provided that sense of scale since we all know what a beach with crashing waves looks like. I think the "berglet" need some room to breath.

You and Bernard are right. I was carried away with the ice and forgot about context. Live and learn.

Jeremy