Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: ErikKaffehr on April 28, 2016, 01:55:17 pm

Title: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 28, 2016, 01:55:17 pm
Hi,

Here is a quick and dirty comparison between:

Leaf Credo 50 (Sony CMOS)
Phase One IQ 360 ( DALSA CCD)
Sony A7rII (Sony CMOS)

This comparison was using LR as it allows the use of DNG Colour Profiles

The protocol:

- An 'EIP' file was chosen from each aperture sweep.
- The 'EIP' was unzipped and the raw was saved in a new folder as DNG
- A colour profile was built for each using Adobe DNG Profile Editor on each
- The images were converted the newly created profiles
- WB was on the third brightest white patch
- Fourth brightest patch was adjusted to have L value around 51 in Lab.
- All three was opened in Photoshop

The IQ360 was downsized to match the Credo image.

Results, see below.

Why I did not use Capture One? The main reason is that I wanted to use an easy to use profile generator. I might retry it with profiles built by DCamProf.

Best regards
Erik



Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: Christoph B. on April 29, 2016, 06:22:18 am

So what you're telling us is that if your file down the threads of a screw it becomes a nail...
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 29, 2016, 06:52:03 am
Hi,

I don't know what the story tells. If you feel that the colour reproduction as shown is very similar it would indicate that colour profiles are more important than sensor type or CFA design.

If you feel that colour reproduction is significantly different between IQ360 and Credo 50 it would indicate CMOS/CCD/CFA differences cannot be handled colour profiling. At least not by Adobe DNG Profile Editor used as a profiling tool.

So the message is really what you see...

Best regards
Erik


So what you're telling us is that if your file down the threads of a screw it becomes a nail...
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on April 29, 2016, 08:43:41 am
Hi,

I don't know what the story tells. If you feel that the colour reproduction as shown is very similar it would indicate that colour profiles are more important than sensor type or CFA design.

Hi Erik,

The most obvious visual difference is in the Leaf's orange/yellows. But the DNG profiler uses the native profile for a camera and adjusts on that basis. So if the Leaf already had a different look, and many say it does, very pleasing for skin tone, then the modified profile will carry some of that over to the modified profile.

Since the 2 CMOS devices have a different look, and a CCD and a CMOS device have relatively similar looks, I'd say the profile makes the day, and the effect of the silicon based sensor design is of secondary importance.

A more labor intensive task would be to build a profile for each of the devices from scratch, for all three, all having the same 'look' applied. The Argyll / DCamProf route would enable to do that, but it takes time to do it right.

Quote
If you feel that colour reproduction is significantly different between IQ360 and Credo 50 it would indicate CMOS/CCD/CFA differences cannot be handled colour profiling. At least not by Adobe DNG Profile Editor used as a profiling tool.

One might stumble over specific issues for a specific camera, due to CFA differences that cannot be fully 'profiled-away'. The specific illuminant may play a role, while another illuminant may give no problems. So, no easy task (as most controlled testing is never easy). But it would be a typical task for a studio photographer who works with multiple platforms and controlled lighting, and wants to have a similar 'look' from all capture devices.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: ErikKaffehr on April 29, 2016, 09:09:47 am
Hi Bart,

That is on my "to do" list...

Thanks for chiming in!

Best regards
Erik



A more labor intensive task would be to build a profile for each of the devices from scratch, for all three, all having the same 'look' applied. The Argyll / DCamProf route would enable to do that, but it takes time to do it right.


Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD, using DCamProf - first try
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 01, 2016, 02:02:01 am
Hi,

I have used DcamProf to generate DCP profiles based on DT's test shots for the IQ360, Credo 50 and Sony A7rII. This should shed some light on the following questions:


It should be noted that there was "hue shift discontinuity" problem generating the IQ360 profile.

LR CC was used for these conversion but I may look into using C1 in a few days.

Here the IQ360 represents a DALSA CCD sensor while Credo 50 is a representant for the Sony CMOS based MFDB-s.

Please note that these profiles are linear, good for reproduction but a bit flat. I will add curves later.

So, what I do see?

To me it seems that the IQ-360 produces some more saturated colour than the others, at least on the orange and the blue shaft on the brush. The Sony A7rII and the Credo seem to be very close.

The value of these comparisons is to see what happens if we use "same math" on the raw images.

Processing was following:

1) White balance on third brightest grey patch
2) Adjust fourth grey patch to about L = 52 (in Lab mode)

Best regards
Erik
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD, using DCamProf - first try
Post by: Jack Hogan on May 01, 2016, 01:23:00 pm
To me it seems that the IQ-360 produces some more saturated colour than the others, at least on the orange and the blue shaft on the brush. The Sony A7rII and the Credo seem to be very close.

The value of these comparisons is to see what happens if we use "same math" on the raw images.

Hi Erik, good work on these profiles.  I am thinking that LR is definitely not the appropriate tool if you want 'same math' on the raw images, because we know that it virtually never, ever does the same thing even with all sliders zeroed out.  I would suggest RawTherapee, which does take dcp profiles and can be easily setup for 'same math'.

As to color saturation, imho it normally means nothing (although I don't know whether the comment applies to a dcamProf context).  For instance I was astounded to find out that when a dcp profile is used the linear matrix to XYZ has no negative terms, and often quite a few zeros in it - presumably not to incur in clipping.  This results in totally desaturated images.  They make it up later with non-linear profiles in HSV space, yikes!  I hope your raw converter runs floating point internally ;)

Jack
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD, using DCamProf - first try
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 01, 2016, 01:57:45 pm
Hi Jack,

Thanks for your input!

The suggestion to use "RawTherapee" is very good suggestion. I will make some work with RT and share. The reason I used LR here is that it is the raw converter that I am most familiar with.

AFAIK, very few raw converters use modern concepts, like floating point. I don't know for how many hundred years FP has been around, but not using FP says a lot about the ancient state of image processing…

Best regards
Erik



Hi Erik, good work on these profiles.  I am thinking that LR is definitely not the appropriate tool if you want 'same math' on the raw images, because we know that it virtually never, ever does the same thing even with all sliders zeroed out.  I would suggest RawTherapee, which does take dcp profiles and can be easily setup for 'same math'.

As to color saturation, imho it normally means nothing (although I don't know whether the comment applies to a dcamProf context).  For instance I was astounded to find out that when a dcp profile is used the linear matrix to XYZ has no negative terms, and often quite a few zeros in it - presumably not to incur in clipping.  This results in totally desaturated images.  They make it up later with non-linear profiles in HSV space, yikes!  I hope your raw converter runs floating point internally ;)

Jack
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD, using DCamProf - first try
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on May 01, 2016, 02:34:13 pm
I have used DcamProf to generate DCP profiles based on DT's test shots for the IQ360, Credo 50 and Sony A7rII.

Hi Erik,

The color rendering is getting closer to the same look, with mainly a slightly lower contrast result for the IQ360. If that would be adjusted, the differences would be even closer. Which shows how well the performance of different technologies and CFAs can be profiled away.

As Jack said, there may still be under-the-hood adjustments going on in different Raw converter engines, but that's something that's harder to find out. As long as one sticks to a single converter, an approximately unified look between cameras can be achieved. Another benefit of DCamProf is that it additionally allows more finetuning of the profile than several other commercial products.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD, using DCamProf - first try
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 01, 2016, 09:52:30 pm
Hi Jack,

Here are the files converted in RawTherapee. These conversions use a new set of profiles with "acr-curve".

The third image is the Credo converted with the Sony A7rII profile, compared with the Credo 50 profile. Not a lot of difference…

I am not very familiar with RT, so mistakes are possible.

Best regards
Erik


Hi Jack,

Thanks for your input!

The suggestion to use "RawTherapee" is very good suggestion. I will make some work with RT and share. The reason I used LR here is that it is the raw converter that I am most familiar with.

AFAIK, very few raw converters use modern concepts, like floating point. I don't know for how many hundred years FP has been around, but not using FP says a lot about the ancient state of image processing…

Best regards
Erik
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD, using DCamProf - first try
Post by: eronald on May 01, 2016, 11:44:48 pm
Hi Erik,

 As long as one sticks to a single converter, an approximately unified look between cameras can be achieved

Cheers,
Bart

Yeah, sure, until you find a metameric failure. Which, if you look for it, you will.

it's like aliasing - unescapable.
Edmund
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD, using DCamProf - first try
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 02, 2016, 03:18:14 am
Hi Edmund,

I am sure you are right, there will always be cases of metameric errors.

Just to say, aliasing is not unescapable. We can stop down until diffraction kills resolution.

Best regards
Erik


Yeah, sure, until you find a metameric failure. Which, if you look for it, you will.

it's like aliasing - unescapable.
Edmund
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD, using DCamProf - first try
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on May 02, 2016, 03:49:44 am
Yeah, sure, until you find a metameric failure. Which, if you look for it, you will.

Sure Edmund, but that has very very little to do with CCD vs CMOS, and only applies to Bayer CFA filters (which create a different trichromatic sensitivity from that of our eyes). Metamerism will always be an issue as long as our cameras and displays are RGB devices, and we use a single profile for different illuminants.

And then it still remains to be seen how big the differences are between different Bayer CFA dye absorption spectra. Many of them have roughly the same characteristics. Also, creating a profile for a specific controlled illuminant (like in studio use) attempts to tackle most of the differences, in fact that is what profiling does, make metameres look the same under a given illumination.

DCamProf also allows to unify things like the way clipping is handled, how contrast is applied, how saturated the colors are rendered and their roll-off towards the limits, etc. That also creates a specific 'look', and can thus be unified.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: torger on May 02, 2016, 04:22:08 am
I'd say that metameric failures are not that common with modern cameras. What you get is that in certain ranges the color filters are worse at separating colors (meaning the profile needs to "stretch" more in that area leading to more noise), but as filters are overlapping they can separate at least some. Sure, with some narrow band artifical color you can trigger metamerism, but it's a narrow case.

Commercial profiles generally prioritize robustness over a specific look design, and thus the profile's stretching is quite weak and thus closer to a linear matrix profile, and thus more of the sensor's color filter character is kept. If you wish you can force cameras to look very similar, but it will lead to quite aggressive stretches and a less robust profile. Still, even if you relax the stretching a fair amount modern camera color filters are today so similar that the looks become very similar anyway.

Between Kodak and Dalsa CCDs there was a big difference between color filters. Between various modern CMOSes today, not so much, unless you look at extremely saturated colors and narrow band colors. The Dalsa CCDs have color filters that are "modern" and neutral, while Kodak seems to have tried to mimic a subjective film response.

From my profile work I've noted that "pleasing skin tones" is not so much about hue or color separation, but how contrast is applied (the eye/brain's color perception is modulated with contrast) and how you rolloff to the whitepoint (highlight rendering). This is about profile and raw converter design more than anything else. When designing those aspects you have very little color science to rely on so it's very much an art.

I don't totally dismiss that CCD could have some different look aspect than CMOS, but suspect if so that it's a pixel peep effect, a texture difference due to sharper aliasing, a different noise quality, and less if anything about color. Sure if everyone loved the Kodaks which indeed have much different color filters, but Dalsa with the more neutral/modern and similar to modern CMOS filters receives much more love. In any case in my work I haven't found the CCD vs CMOS difference to be worth any specific attention.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: Jack Hogan on May 02, 2016, 04:22:25 am
Good show, Eric, you are right, not too different at first glance.

Notice the forward matrices have no negative terms?  That means that they 'desaturate' the raw color information when transferring it linearly into XYZ space.  The non-linear profile takes over from there, massaging the colors until they look as they should (it's an offer they can't refuse). I am not sure I understand the logic behind it 100% (perhaps Edmund or Torger can explain it), but it seems to me that it goes something like this: 'let me squeeze all the colors I can into XYZ, even if colorimetrically incorrectly; I will then try to make them look right by bending, pushing and pulling them to where I know they should be (move over and stay there, damn it)'.

It seems to me that after such an energetic tour de force, trying to determine the difference between 'CMOS vs CCD' CFA color recipes by looking at the final result is a bit like trying to figure out the type of potato used in Pringles (http://naturalsociety.com/how-pringles-are-made-potato-chip/) by tasting them :)

Jack
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: torger on May 02, 2016, 04:29:27 am
Good show, Eric, you are right, not too different at first glance.

Notice the forward matrices have no negative terms?  That means that they 'desaturate' the raw color information when transferring it linearly into XYZ space.  The non-linear profile takes over from there, massaging the colors until they look as they should (it's an offer they can't refuse). I am not sure I understand the logic behind it 100% (perhaps Edmund or Torger can explain it), but it seems to me that it goes something like this: 'let me squeeze all the colors I can into XYZ, even if colorimetrically incorrectly; I will then try to make them look right by bending, pushing and pulling them to where I know they should be (move over and stay there, damn it)'.

Yes, that's correct. The reason negative terms are avoided is to avoid clipping of extreme range colors. Matrix-only profile always have negative terms, but then also robustness problems in extreme range, for example that deep saturated blues are clipped to black. Due to this I'm personally not very fond of matrix-only profiles.

Actually it's not only about avoiding non-negative factors, in DNG pipeline you must fit all into ProPhotoRGB if you want to avoid clipping. This desaturation and then stretching afterwards with the LUT is not as brittle as it may sound though, as the stretching is pretty linear. It's a purely DNG pipeline technical issue, and in my opinion it takes away some of the elegance of DNG profiles (I'm quite sure Adobe didn't realize this clipping problem until long after the profile format was decided, and indeed the early Adobe profiles have clipping issues), but in terms of actual result it's not a problem. It just makes it messier for us making camera profiling software.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: Jack Hogan on May 02, 2016, 10:27:33 am
Yes, that's correct. The reason negative terms are avoided is to avoid clipping of extreme range colors. Matrix-only profile always have negative terms, but then also robustness problems in extreme range, for example that deep saturated blues are clipped to black. Due to this I'm personally not very fond of matrix-only profiles.

Actually it's not only about avoiding non-negative factors, in DNG pipeline you must fit all into ProPhotoRGB if you want to avoid clipping. This desaturation and then stretching afterwards with the LUT is not as brittle as it may sound though, as the stretching is pretty linear. It's a purely DNG pipeline technical issue, and in my opinion it takes away some of the elegance of DNG profiles (I'm quite sure Adobe didn't realize this clipping problem until long after the profile format was decided, and indeed the early Adobe profiles have clipping issues), but in terms of actual result it's not a problem. It just makes it messier for us making camera profiling software.

Thanks for the clarification, Torger.  Would you still be against non-desaturated forward matrices to XYZ (with optionally a tweaking Profile if desired) in a fully floating point environment?

Jack
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: eronald on May 02, 2016, 10:43:43 am
Thanks for the clarification, Torger.  Would you still be against non-desaturated forward matrices to XYZ (with optionally a tweaking Profile if desired) in a fully floating point environment?

Jack

Jack,

 Maybe there is something I am not understanding here. I thought XYZ is basically standard observer cone-response observer space. So whatever the input device, you will need to "squeeze linearised device rgb into XYZ" before, I guess, adopting a whitepoint etc. If your rgb input device is weird, in an ideal world yes you'd probably need negative coefs but you can probably recover the information without negative coefficients and apply some color transform later ...whitepoint adoption means that massaging the data heavily in a color space is mandatory anyway. I'm old and was always dumb, so what would I know ...maybe I should dig out a book :)

Edmund
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 02, 2016, 02:42:58 pm
Hi Jack,

Thanks for comments!

With the introduction of CMOS in MFD there used to be a strong suspicion that CCD would offer superior colour than CMOS. I was a bit skeptical about that, as both are in my view simple photovoltaic devices. But, I thought CFA designs may play a major role.

It has also been a lot of statements on CMOS CFA-s being less orthogonal the CCD CFA designs.

In that sense it may be a good thing to see how basic colour rendition was affected by CFA designs and how those differences could be handled by colour profiles.

These experiments may indicate that colour profiling can achieve a good match between a DALSA CCD and and two Sony CMOS sensors.

But, this is all related to the eye of the beholder. It is well possible that what is "pretty similar" to me may be "widely different" to another observer. I don't know that much about "Pringle chips", but I am essentially sure that MFD chips are made of Idaho Potatoes.

Best regards
Erik


Good show, Eric, you are right, not too different at first glance.

Notice the forward matrices have no negative terms?  That means that they 'desaturate' the raw color information when transferring it linearly into XYZ space.  The non-linear profile takes over from there, massaging the colors until they look as they should (it's an offer they can't refuse). I am not sure I understand the logic behind it 100% (perhaps Edmund or Torger can explain it), but it seems to me that it goes something like this: 'let me squeeze all the colors I can into XYZ, even if colorimetrically incorrectly; I will then try to make them look right by bending, pushing and pulling them to where I know they should be (move over and stay there, damn it)'.

It seems to me that after such an energetic tour de force, trying to determine the difference between 'CMOS vs CCD' CFA color recipes by looking at the final result is a bit like trying to figure out the type of potato used in Pringles (http://naturalsociety.com/how-pringles-are-made-potato-chip/) by tasting them :)

Jack
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: Jack Hogan on May 02, 2016, 02:45:20 pm
Maybe there is something I am not understanding here. I thought XYZ is basically standard observer cone-response observer space or at least a 5 degree version of same. So whatever the input device, you will need to "squeeze linearised device rgb into XYZ" before, I guess, adopting a whitepoint etc.
If your rgb input device is weird, in an ideal world yes you'd probably need negative coefs but you can probably recover the information without negative coefficients and apply some color transform later ...whitepoint adoption means that massaging the data heavily in a color space is mandatory anyway. I'm old and was always dumb, so what would I know ...maybe I should dig out a book :)

You are the man where color is concerned, Edmund, I am just learning as I go along.  Given what we know about color matching etc., aren't there some negative numbers in there?  Every Forward Matrix I ever saw before (process) 2012 had them and did a decent job of converting white balanced raw CC24 data straight to XYZ sort of colorimetrically.

Enter THE PROFILE.  Suddenly, the 'profiled' Forward Matrix produces totally desaturated XYZ data, i.e. pretend that the raw data has been mapped to a teeny weeny gamut, way smaller than sRGB, via perceptual intent.  It is then the job of THE PROFILE to take teeny weeny XYZ data and blow it back up to your output gamut accurately again.  Did I mention that on the way there is a trip from XYZ to ProPhoto, then to HSV, then to ProPhoto, then to XYZ, then to ProPhoto, then to HSV, then to ProPhoto, then to XYZ, then to final color space?  A smart converter may be able to cut a couple of those conversions, but not m uch more than that.  I trust Torger when he says that the stretching and conversions are not detrimental.  But I can't see how this would work accurately unless one is running floating point math. 

Jack
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: Jack Hogan on May 02, 2016, 02:49:54 pm
I don't know that much about "Pringle chips", but I am essentially sure that MFD chips are made of Idaho Potatoes.

:)  On the rest, we are fully agreed.

Jack
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: eronald on May 02, 2016, 03:42:18 pm
You are the man where color is concerned, Edmund, I am just learning as I go along.  Given what we know about color matching etc., aren't there some negative numbers in there?  Every Forward Matrix I ever saw before (process) 2012 had them and did a decent job of converting white balanced raw CC24 data straight to XYZ sort of colorimetrically.

Enter THE PROFILE.  Suddenly, the 'profiled' Forward Matrix produces totally desaturated XYZ data, i.e. pretend that the raw data has been mapped to a teeny weeny gamut, way smaller than sRGB, via perceptual intent.  It is then the job of THE PROFILE to take teeny weeny XYZ data and blow it back up to your output gamut accurately again.  Did I mention that on the way there is a trip from XYZ to ProPhoto, then to HSV, then to ProPhoto, then to XYZ, then to ProPhoto, then to HSV, then to ProPhoto, then to XYZ, then to final color space?  A smart converter may be able to cut a couple of those conversions, but not m uch more than that.  I trust Torger when he says that the stretching and conversions are not detrimental.  But I can't see how this would work accurately unless one is running floating point math. 

Jack

Jack,
I don't understand much of what you're saying, these days I wouldn't know what a negative number or a floating point number is if it bit me in the ass, but I guess what you say probably applies to Adobe's recipe for cooking Raws. Which has probably benefitted from about 5 revisions by now to turn a kludge into a kludge into more of a kludge - because the "standard" old fashioned way of doing rgb2xyz just involved a matrix - I'm fairly certain of that because back when I was still using a Phase back I wrote my own camera profiling package in Matlab which gave quite good results with C1. As you can see from this reply, as a programmer and as a color amateur, I wasn't very sophisticated. I then wrote an editing suite to tailor end-user profiles, but that was built around a bunch of Perl scripts and a LUT-based Basiccolor camera profiling engine. All of this was more than ten years ago, and my memory is now very vague. Thomas Knoll explained to me at the time that ICC-type profiles were completely useless because they weren't something called "input referred" which must be something so complicated that neither I nor anyone at the ICC including Jack Holm could be expected to understand it, and that only DCP profiles were of any use. I looked at how DCP profiles were created chez Adobe, and apparently at that time Adobe had a lightbox which could be switched so that different lights, maybe one fluorescent and one incandescent of lower CT shone on a target that was then photographed. By taking several images the lightbox the camera could be profiled. It all seemed very complicated, and Adobe blackballed the camera profiling software I was then peddling for a major color management company based in Europe, the Japanese camera companies hated the idea of any sort of portable Raw format and hated the idea of profiling even more, and the european color company went through some sort of trans-atlantic merger which kept dislocating its staff, and I gave up, and I guess this is part of the reason everybody except for me now knows so much about color processing in Lightroom. I wasn't very smart to start with, very amateurish, and never learnt to keep up with the latest and greatest.

But btw, I think Torger is a real expert; so if he says the current CFAs on CMOS are great, I think I'll just believe him. What real-world software actually does with the data is a different issue - some years ago I noticed that the print function of a certain widely known Raw converter and file management software released by a major US graphics software corporation was clipping the gamut of my images to the gamut of my monitor, in order to match screen to print print to screen.

Edmund
 
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: torger on May 03, 2016, 02:48:40 am
The DNG pipeline is already floating point, but not clipless, that is negative numbers, or actually anything outside ProPhotoRGB primaries will be clipped. The DNG LUT is applied in linear prophoto RGB space. I discovered the hard way that if your profile maker has a different way to work with colors (eg not that RGB-oriented, but using various non-linear perceptual models) you need a really dense DNG LUT to work, that's why DCamProf profiles are huge in comparison. It would be possible to design a profile format that could use matrices with negative output values and not clip, and have a LUT that pulls it back into visible space. That would be quite nice, but you could also just do like in Lab ICC profiles, jump directly from raw RGB to the LUT.

In any case DNG profiles and ICC profiles is what we have, I'm not expecting any new profile format anytime soon. And, while both formats have their own sets of ugliness under the hood, they are both capable of producing (almost) any output you want so to the user it doesn't matter.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: landscapephoto on May 03, 2016, 04:49:42 am
Between Kodak and Dalsa CCDs there was a big difference between color filters. Between various modern CMOSes today, not so much, unless you look at extremely saturated colors and narrow band colors. The Dalsa CCDs have color filters that are "modern" and neutral, while Kodak seems to have tried to mimic a subjective film response.

Have you tried the Dalsa CCDs from Hasselblad or just the ones from Phase One?

I am asking, because I know from experience that the H4D-60 gives exactly the same colours as the H3D-39. I have had someone who had the two cameras take a few pictures under various lights and send me the results. I know that Phase One gives slightly different colours. It could just be the profile, or it could be that the manufacturers are also able to have a particular set of colour filters mounted on the sensors.

I also agree that Kodak CCDs appear to mimic a film response. It is a big plus for me and the reason I use an H4D-50: I am looking for that particular rendition.

The whole discussion here appears to revolve around the idea of calibrating a camera so that it reproduces a colour chart perfectly. I don't want to do that. I am not in the business of reproducing paintings. I want my landscape pictures to have a particular rendition that reminds me of film, without going into the excesses of instagram filters. I also don't want the overly saturated look, sort of David Kinkade on acid, that is popular on 500pix. I want good separation between various leaf green tones and I want them to look different under sunlight and under the clouds.

I get all of this with my present camera. On the minus side, I get more colour shifts under poor artificial lights than with my 24x36, but I can live with that.

I want my next camera to give me the same colours. Maybe I just need a profile, I don't know. All I know is that I am not going to take a colour chart with me every day and include it in all of my pictures as a reference.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: synn on May 03, 2016, 05:34:43 am


The whole discussion here appears to revolve around the idea of calibrating a camera so that it reproduces a colour chart perfectly. I don't want to do that. I am not in the business of reproducing paintings. I want my landscape pictures to have a particular rendition that reminds me of film, without going into the excesses of instagram filters.

It is a problem that will never be answered in this forum because the technical guys will keep insisting that as long as one cam match test chart shots to look the same with profiles, two cameras will shoot everything alike. It does not work that way in real life. Not for real world images.

I have done every trick under the sun, profiling, presets, different RAW demosaicers... nothing will get my Nikon D800 files to look even close to my Credo files.

I did not try to equalize test charts. Maybe that might be possible.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: torger on May 03, 2016, 06:26:00 am
I'm quite confident that they don't have custom CFAs, but I don't have inside information, so I think Hassy's and Phase One's color response is highly similar, with the exception of the IR filter in front of the sensor which of course can have some effect on some highly saturated colors.

That Hasselblad makes their cameras look alike is as far as I can tell a profile design decision, just like it's a design decision by Phase One to instead differentiate their cameras. You can make the Kodak to look neutral with some LUT stretching, it's just considerable more difficult to design a robust profile. Hasselblad's look is pretty neutral, much more neutral than Phase One. I have a H4D-50 myself and have looked at its Hassy colors quite closely and compared to what my own camera profiler puts out. Hassy makes some subtle subjective adjustments plus quite extensive gamut compression, but overall a very natural look. If you design a profile with DCamProf and apply my "neutral+" look, is not too different from Hasselblad's, which is no coincidence as I like to learn from the best and they've been a source of inspiration.

The reproduction use case is "simple"; oh well, it's a difficult craft to make it right, but you can rely on instruments and you don't need to modulate the response with contrast. My color profiling software is not designed towards the reproduction use case (although it can be used with it), but is intended to make general purpose profiles, optionally with a designed look.

My taste concerning designed looks is that I think Hasselblad's way is good, the goal is to make all cameras to look the same, and the base look is neutral but pleasing (which coarsely means slight warmup and saturation increase). It's a good starting point to add a personal look if you want that.

I don't like Phase One's approach where the goal is to create a much more subjective look and differentiate products so when you upgrade your back you get a new look. I also don't think it's good design to put out a heavily subjective look as the default and really no way to get a neutral one, I want to be in control of my color, rather than relying on the "Image Quality Professor"'s personal taste. Anyway, the reason it is the way it is, is because we never really left the film era. The raw processing pipelines today are designed with the intention that the camera profile is the "film roll" and should just like film apply a look.

A more modern way to do things would be to simply just record the CFA response in the EXIF data, have no camera profiles at all, but instead the raw pipeline would create neutral color directly from CFA and handle things like gamut compression automatically (instead of static in the profile like today), and then you could optionally apply pre-defined "look profiles". That's not going to happen though. It would look nicer under the hood, but wouldn't change user experience much, so it's not worth the risk fiddling around with the sensitive subject color is.

Many (most?) other profile maker software available to us consumers are by the way broken by design. What they do is that they make a linear reproduction style profile based on a color checker, and then just blindly apply a RGB tonecurve (or RGB-HSV in case of DNG) on top and assumes that the tonecurve with it's color distortions applies a pleasing look. Well, actually an RGB tonecurve does make a pleasing saturation increase together with it's slight distortions so that's why they get away with it, but it's a mindless way of designing a general-purpose profile. The commercial profiles from the big houses use more advanced and proprietary methods not available to consumers. It was for this reason I started out with my own profile making software project.

And indeed, my goal is the same. To make my next camera give me the same look, regardless of which brand I choose. (And of course that the look is of so high quality I feel I can use it instead of the manufacturer-provided profiles.)

Have you tried the Dalsa CCDs from Hasselblad or just the ones from Phase One?

I am asking, because I know from experience that the H4D-60 gives exactly the same colours as the H3D-39. I have had someone who had the two cameras take a few pictures under various lights and send me the results. I know that Phase One gives slightly different colours. It could just be the profile, or it could be that the manufacturers are also able to have a particular set of colour filters mounted on the sensors.

I also agree that Kodak CCDs appear to mimic a film response. It is a big plus for me and the reason I use an H4D-50: I am looking for that particular rendition.

The whole discussion here appears to revolve around the idea of calibrating a camera so that it reproduces a colour chart perfectly. I don't want to do that. I am not in the business of reproducing paintings. I want my landscape pictures to have a particular rendition that reminds me of film, without going into the excesses of instagram filters. I also don't want the overly saturated look, sort of David Kinkade on acid, that is popular on 500pix. I want good separation between various leaf green tones and I want them to look different under sunlight and under the clouds.

I get all of this with my present camera. On the minus side, I get more colour shifts under poor artificial lights than with my 24x36, but I can live with that.

I want my next camera to give me the same colours. Maybe I just need a profile, I don't know. All I know is that I am not going to take a colour chart with me every day and include it in all of my pictures as a reference.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: landscapephoto on May 03, 2016, 07:19:57 am
I'm quite confident that they don't have custom CFAs, but I don't have inside information

Torger, I respect your opinion, because I know the software you have written. But I have seen discussions on colour response on this forum for ages and in the end it always boils down to the characterisation of the CFA and nobody appears to have data on that.

How could we measure the transmission spectrum of the CFA? Wouldn't it be possible to have this data by taking a photograph of a diffraction grating behind a slit? I have seen pages where astronomers did something similar. I have also seen pages where people buy a spectrometer with a DVD as grating and cardboard box with a slit. (https://publiclab.org/wiki/foldable-spec)
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: AreBee on May 03, 2016, 07:44:57 am
Anders,

Quote
Between Kodak and Dalsa CCDs there was a big difference between color filters. Between various modern CMOSes today, not so much, unless you look at extremely saturated colors and narrow band colors. The Dalsa CCDs have color filters that are "modern" and neutral, while Kodak seems to have tried to mimic a subjective film response.

Quote
...Hasselblad's look is pretty neutral, much more neutral than Phase One. I have a H4D-50 myself and have looked at its Hassy colors quite closely and compared to what my own camera profiler puts out. Hassy makes some subtle subjective adjustments plus quite extensive gamut compression, but overall a very natural look.

In the first paragraph, the response returned by Dalsa CCD sensors is considered to be neutral more so than Kodak CCD sensors, whereas in the second paragraph the opposite appears to be true.

Please can you clarify?
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: eronald on May 03, 2016, 07:57:13 am
Torger, I respect your opinion, because I know the software you have written. But I have seen discussions on colour response on this forum for ages and in the end it always boils down to the characterisation of the CFA and nobody appears to have data on that.

How could we measure the transmission spectrum of the CFA? Wouldn't it be possible to have this data by taking a photograph of a diffraction grating behind a slit? I have seen pages where astronomers did something similar. I have also seen pages where people buy a spectrometer with a DVD as grating and cardboard box with a slit. (https://publiclab.org/wiki/foldable-spec)

This is a typical tool for fast spectral response determination.

http://www.image-engineering.de/products/equipment/measurement-devices/588-camspecs-express

Otherwise one can use a monochromator; universities with optics labs etc have this.

Edmund
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: eronald on May 03, 2016, 08:03:21 am
It is a problem that will never be answered in this forum because the technical guys will keep insisting that as long as one cam match test chart shots to look the same with profiles, two cameras will shoot everything alike. It does not work that way in real life. Not for real world images.

I have done every trick under the sun, profiling, presets, different RAW demosaicers... nothing will get my Nikon D800 files to look even close to my Credo files.

I did not try to equalize test charts. Maybe that might be possible.

Yes, you are probably right.
If you really wanted to try with charts, try with the big ones - Colorchecker SG.
Anyway at the moment it looks like every camera out there will in the near future match every camera out there because they are all Sonys.

Edmund
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 03, 2016, 08:04:42 am
Hi,

That tool is around 10000€. A monochromator is not that expensive around 1000€ and up, but monochromator from lab equipment are often sold cheap on E-bay. With a monochromator you still need a light source and it needs to be calibrated. The calibration device is usually a spectroradiometer and those are expensive.

Best regards
Erik



This is a typical tool for fast spectral response determination.

http://www.image-engineering.de/products/equipment/measurement-devices/588-camspecs-express

Otherwise one can use a monochromator; universities with optics labs etc have this.

Edmund
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: eronald on May 03, 2016, 08:14:18 am
Hi,

That tool is around 10000€. A monochromator is not that expensive around 1000€ and up, but monochromator from lab equipment are often sold cheap on E-bay. With a monochromator you still need a light source and it needs to be calibrated. The calibration device is usually a spectroradiometer and those are expensive.

Best regards
Erik

Erik,

The single shot device is quick, robust and even spits out a profile. If you're in the business of checking or reverse engineering cameras, do a hundred of them that's $100 per unit.

 I don't think someone without training -in the commercial world- will set up the monochromator method, and people with the necessary knowhow mostly work in labs that already own the equipment, including a high end spectroradiometer.  Frankly, if you have the space, I believe a monochromator from ebay, a lightbulb and an eyeone spectro would suffice, but then what would I know, I've never done it. Remember that lightbulbs and camera CFAs are usually not spiky ...

Edmund
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 03, 2016, 08:21:04 am
Hi Synn,

I won't argue…

One of the issues comparing say Phase One CMOS and Phase One CCD is that you need to shoot both side by side on different subjects. In that case you still don't know if the vendor software would give a similar look.

Indeed, Anders Torger says that Capture One gives a different look for Phase One backs and Leaf backs, although both use the same sensors. On the other hand, it has been stated Hasselblad puts great effort into achieving similar colour on all backs.

It would be nice to have some reference raw images, like theLenna image (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenna)often used in digital image processing. It would be nice to have a nice portrait shot with different sensors. That image should also contain a grey reference. I am not aware of any such standard image. The comparison I have made is based on the images DigitalTransitions have shared. Good images by the way.

I would be glad to post such images, but I don't shoot portrait kind stuff and I only have a P45+ back and a bunch of Sony cameras.

Best regards
Erik




It is a problem that will never be answered in this forum because the technical guys will keep insisting that as long as one cam match test chart shots to look the same with profiles, two cameras will shoot everything alike. It does not work that way in real life. Not for real world images.

I have done every trick under the sun, profiling, presets, different RAW demosaicers... nothing will get my Nikon D800 files to look even close to my Credo files.

I did not try to equalize test charts. Maybe that might be possible.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: torger on May 03, 2016, 08:26:21 am
Torger, I respect your opinion, because I know the software you have written. But I have seen discussions on colour response on this forum for ages and in the end it always boils down to the characterisation of the CFA and nobody appears to have data on that.

How could we measure the transmission spectrum of the CFA? Wouldn't it be possible to have this data by taking a photograph of a diffraction grating behind a slit? I have seen pages where astronomers did something similar. I have also seen pages where people buy a spectrometer with a DVD as grating and cardboard box with a slit. (https://publiclab.org/wiki/foldable-spec)

In the huge DCamProf thread over at the color management section there's this guy that built his own setup from ebay stuff for a very low cost. Buying new pro gear to measure will cost €10k or even more, here is a complete package: http://www.image-engineering.de/products/equipment/measurement-devices/588-camspecs-express

The tech chief at Hasseblad is very easy to talk to and I actually asked him if they had CFA data for my H4D-50 that I could get, but he said that they never measured it themselves and sent me the datasheet from Kodak (which I already had, and it doesn't help much because it's not so detailed and before IR filter is applied). One may find this surprising that a company like Hasselblad wouldn't use the most advanced techniques to make their great profiles. However when working with my own profiles I discovered that you don't really need very advanced profiling when you make a profile for all-around use, a CC24 does a good job, instead the magic happens in the contrast application algorithms and subjective tunings on top. This is quite different from high-end reproduction work where the choice of target can be very important.

So to make a good profile you don't need CFA, and also to check if color response is different you could just use a target, but it would be difficult to see if it's due to IR filter or due to custom CFA. To make endless forum threads about if medium format color is through sensor hardware better than smaller formats I guess CFA measurements could help some though ;-)
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: eronald on May 03, 2016, 08:32:58 am
I want good separation between various leaf green tones and I want them to look different under sunlight and under the clouds.

I get all of this with my present camera. On the minus side, I get more colour shifts under poor artificial lights than with my 24x36, but I can live with that.

I want my next camera to give me the same colours. Maybe I just need a profile, I don't know. All I know is that I am not going to take a colour chart with me every day and include it in all of my pictures as a reference.

My feeling is that if you have a camera which can do this, then you should keep it, because the Sony's don't look like having good separation in the greens to me. And everything new now is going to be a Sony.

There is no reason to assume that the same camera will do skin tones well and landscapes well.

I am saying this clearly as you are asking for opinions from the color geeks. My opinion is worth exactly what it costs you; Torger certainly understands the tech way better than I do.

Everybody else here is going to shout me down. Except for Synn, if he is awake, because strangely enough we both seem to believe that cameras cannot alway be matched in the real world.

BTW, you might try a Sigma - they are stunning for landscape, although you might run out of pixels.

Edmund

PS. If you want to visualize the issues in the greens, just hit command-I in Photoshop, that inverts the image and usually shows you much more clearly how much variation you really have in the channels.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: synn on May 03, 2016, 09:11:24 am
Interesting that the topic of greens comes up. Apart from the skintones, this is where I see the Nikon being absolutely brutal. There is very little separation in the greens, no matter how one processes the files or how they try to equalize them. This is probably due to the CFAs, I don't know and frankly, I don't care.

These images were shot a minute apart from each other.

Nikon:

(https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5638/21061974398_ca7b3bf922_b.jpg)

Leaf:

(https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5730/20628748483_3cd18bb28c_b.jpg)

The Leaf image is a stitch, but that's irrelevant.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: Jack Hogan on May 03, 2016, 09:20:26 am
Interesting that the topic of greens comes up. Apart from the skintones, this is where I see the Nikon being absolutely brutal. There is very little separation in the greens, no matter how one processes the files or how they try to equalize them. This is probably due to the CFAs, I don't know and frankly, I don't care.

These images were shot a minute apart from each other.

Goody, I think I finally understand what is meant by green separation: the green separation on the white shed in the Leaf capture, right Synn?  Definitely the CFA, the Leaf's awesome at bringing out them greens ;)

Jack
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: AlterEgo on May 03, 2016, 09:30:06 am
In the huge DCamProf thread over at the color management section there's this guy that built his own setup from ebay stuff for a very low cost.

right, http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=76849

his setup (not the current, from 2015) from the related topic elsewhere

(http://www.aletan.com/img/s7/v154/p1305757851-5.jpg)


Iliah Borg also it seems assembled his own

Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: synn on May 03, 2016, 09:30:50 am
Goody, I think I finally understand what is meant by green separation: the green separation on the white shed in the Leaf capture, right Synn?  Definitely the CFA, the Leaf's awesome at bringing out them greens ;)

Jack

With wit like that, I can't believe you are not writing for SNL.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: eronald on May 03, 2016, 09:33:56 am
Goody, I think I finally understand what is meant by green separation: the green separation on the white shed in the Leaf capture, right Synn?  Definitely the CFA, the Leaf's awesome at bringing out them greens ;)

Jack

Yes,they say, the grass is greener in Sony country, but I cannot afford a Sony :)
This is a Canon 1Ds3, which has horribly low ISO, precisely because it has a cleaner CFA than most modern cams.

Edmund
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: eronald on May 03, 2016, 09:37:37 am
With wit like that, I can't believe you are not writing for SNL.

See, this is what happens when you defend your beliefs. :)
In due course you too will get older and learn to run with the crowd.

Edmund
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on May 03, 2016, 09:41:16 am
Goody, I think I finally understand what is meant by green separation: the green separation on the white shed in the Leaf capture, right Synn?  Definitely the CFA, the Leaf's awesome at bringing out them greens ;)

I agree Jack, I'm (almost) sure Sandeep is jesting. Your wit is (in this case) dwarfed by his.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: AlterEgo on May 03, 2016, 09:45:55 am
Yes,they say, the grass is greener in Sony country, but I cannot afford a Sony :)
This is a Canon 1Ds3, which has horribly low ISO, precisely because it has a cleaner CFA than most modern cams.

Edmund

I am sorry - but where is that "green separation" in that small jpg ?
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: synn on May 03, 2016, 09:49:13 am
See, this is what happens when you defend your beliefs. :)
In due course you too will get older and learn to run with the crowd.

Edmund

This is what happens when one spends their own time and provides free samples to the internet.
Yet another reason why I don't bother doing such charity work anymore.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: vjbelle on May 03, 2016, 10:02:06 am
Interesting that the topic of greens comes up. Apart from the skintones, this is where I see the Nikon being absolutely brutal. There is very little separation in the greens, no matter how one processes the files or how they try to equalize them. This is probably due to the CFAs, I don't know and frankly, I don't care.

These images were shot a minute apart from each other.

Nikon:

(https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5638/21061974398_ca7b3bf922_b.jpg)

Leaf:

(https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5730/20628748483_3cd18bb28c_b.jpg)

The Leaf image is a stitch, but that's irrelevant.

I normally don't get into these discussions but if these images were shot one minute apart then I would have expected the clouds to be very similar...... they aren't.  Just an observation.....

Victor
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: AlterEgo on May 03, 2016, 10:10:44 am
I normally don't get into these discussions but if these images were shot one minute apart then I would have expected the clouds to be very similar...... they aren't.  Just an observation.....

Victor

that was a "charitable illustration", don't bother.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: AreBee on May 03, 2016, 10:34:58 am
Posted previously in a different sub-forum, the initial post on this (http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1234124/2&year=2013#11744473) page may be of interest.

Far from being poor at discriminating green, apparently Nikon excels at it.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: synn on May 03, 2016, 10:40:14 am
I normally don't get into these discussions but if these images were shot one minute apart then I would have expected the clouds to be very similar...... they aren't.  Just an observation.....

Victor

Clearly, you are not familiar with the wind in northern Germany.

Posted previously in a different sub-forum, the initial post on this (http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1234124/2&year=2013#11744473) page may be of interest.

Far from being poor at discriminating green, apparently Nikon excels at it.

So, some words are apparently more accurate than actual pictures that one can see.
Ok, then. On par with LULA discussions.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: torger on May 03, 2016, 10:55:47 am
Posted previously in a different sub-forum, the initial post on this (http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1234124/2&year=2013#11744473) page may be of interest.

Far from being poor at discriminating green, apparently Nikon excels at it.

Very interesting post, it would be interesting to know who's saying that and what information/knowledge he has. My observations has been that the color separation "issues" aren't that a big thing especially now when sensor noise is low, and you actually can tweak with profile. How many that actually do it is another aspect though, and really there aren't much profile control a user can do anyway, you get what the manufacturer gives to you, or you make your own with a complex open source hack like mine.

I should say though that my focus in my profiling work haven't been to find answers to color issues we like to argue about in the forums but simply to solve my problem -- make a profile software that can make high end color profiles for all-around use so I (and others that want) don't need to rely on manufacturer provided profiles.

I did run across several challenges in making good looking color, and some was indeed about color separation, not sensor-related though but for example related to RGB modulation where reds are compressed and makes them harder to differ for the eye that it should be. I found it to be a lot more interesting to tweak the profile maker's color model and found it to have much more profound impacts on color rendering than I imagine the fine-tunings of CFA has.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: AreBee on May 03, 2016, 11:21:21 am
synn,

Quote
...some words are apparently more accurate than actual pictures that one can see.

Good attitude: humility is the first step to redemption.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on May 03, 2016, 11:25:28 am
I did run across several challenges in making good looking color, and some was indeed about color separation, not sensor-related though but for example related to RGB modulation where reds are compressed and makes them harder to differ for the eye that it should be. I found it to be a lot more interesting to tweak the profile maker's color model and found it to have much more profound impacts on color rendering than I imagine the fine-tunings of CFA has.

Yes, and even the impact I saw (with some example profiles) on perceived noise because of your much less aggressive (but still effective) approach towards avoiding gamut clipping. Kudos!

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: Jack Hogan on May 03, 2016, 11:28:03 am
Very interesting post, it would be interesting to know who's saying that and what information/knowledge he has.

Ah yes, THE Suede, a giant in the industry, considered one of the best color scientists in town, participated in some forums to bring what he termed 'sane and reasoned feedback' to discussions by us amateurs.  He was quite helpful and very forthcoming with his encyclopedic knowledge until a fateful exchange with another giant over a year ago - about the particle-wave nature of light of all things.  I haven't seen him around since, quite a loss to the photographic community at large if I may say.  I hope he'll come back from his self imposed exile one day.

If TheSuede said it, I believe it.

Jack

PS Clearly keeping in mind that he wrote that almost three years ago when the latest generation of Nikons was not even on the drawing board, and Nikon may have tweaked CFA recipes since then.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on May 03, 2016, 11:46:41 am
Ah yes, THE Suede, a giant in the industry, considered one of the best color scientists in town, participated in some forums to bring what he termed 'sane and reasoned feedback' to discussions by us amateurs.

Yes, I've always liked the posts by 'the Suede', very informative. But he does explain more about the CFA design than the profiled results.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: synn on May 03, 2016, 11:51:28 am
synn,

Good attitude: humility is the first step to redemption.

redemption is for those who have erred, not for those who are charitable towards perennial complainers too poor to own anything they complain about.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: AreBee on May 03, 2016, 12:41:12 pm
synn,

Quote
redemption is for those who have erred...

Humour is for everyone.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: eronald on May 03, 2016, 02:31:29 pm
I am sorry - but where is that "green separation" in that small jpg ?

ok, yellow separation, then :)

Edmund
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 03, 2016, 03:15:46 pm
Hi,

Yes, I always appreciated info from THE Suede…

Best regards
Erik


Ah yes, THE Suede, a giant in the industry, considered one of the best color scientists in town, participated in some forums to bring what he termed 'sane and reasoned feedback' to discussions by us amateurs.  He was quite helpful and very forthcoming with his encyclopedic knowledge until a fateful exchange with another giant over a year ago - about the particle-wave nature of light of all things.  I haven't seen him around since, quite a loss to the photographic community at large if I may say.  I hope he'll come back from his self imposed exile one day.

If TheSuede said it, I believe it.

Jack

PS Clearly keeping in mind that he wrote that almost three years ago when the latest generation of Nikons was not even on the drawing board, and Nikon may have tweaked CFA recipes since then.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: AreBee on May 03, 2016, 06:16:07 pm
Jack,

Quote
...keeping in mind that he wrote that almost three years ago when the latest generation of Nikons was not even on the drawing board...

I'm not so sure: theSuede mentioned one day later in this (http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1234124/2&year=2013#11745379) post "...the absolute DR of the latest Sony sensors..." and "...D800...".
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 04, 2016, 12:07:26 am
Hi,

I would suggest that this thread is about CCD vs CMOS in MF digital. The question here is if the new CMOS based backs have different rendition of colour compared to their CCD brethren. The link you refer to discusses 4/3 compared to MFD, mostly.

The next question is if the possible differences in colour rendition depend on image processing and weather those differences can be corrected by correct profiles or not.

Personally, I have a P45+ and some Sonys. Both systems are used with Lightroom. With the Sonys I generally used Adobe Standard profile, while with the P45+ I mostly used a dual illuminant profile generated by Adobe DNG Profile editor. With that stuff, I can only tell the images apart by looking at the file names or the EXIF.

One point here is that I have used Lightroom since 2006 and I was pretty happy with it's colour since Process Variant 2010, so I am adopted to Sony/LR/Adobe Standard.

On the other hand I built a new dual illuminant profile with DCamProf for the A7rII, and will do it for my older cameras, too. The enclosed image shows Adobe Standard on the left and DCamProf on the right. Same processing otherwise.

Best regards
Erik




Jack,

I'm not so sure: theSuede mentioned one day later in this (http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1234124/2&year=2013#11745379) post "...the absolute DR of the latest Sony sensors..." and "...D800...".
Title: Some spectral plots…
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 04, 2016, 12:18:23 am
Hi,

These plots compare Nikon D2X, Sony NEX5n and Canon EOS 5DIII. Note that the 2006 vintage D2X is very similar to the quite new NEX5n.
(http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=108530.0;attach=140198;image)


These compare (unidentified) Phase One, Sony NEX5N and H2D. My guess is Phase One is DALSA and H2D Kodak. I would say that Phase One is optimised for studio work, while the others have higher sensitivity for blue, which would be beneficial with incandescent lighting.
(http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=108530.0;attach=140200;image)

The data were taken from Torgers references.

Best regards
Erik
Title: Separation, discrimination, orthogonality, gamut
Post by: Jack Hogan on May 04, 2016, 03:12:49 am
The next question is if the possible differences in colour rendition depend on image processing and weather those differences can be corrected by correct profiles or not.

Hi Erik,

I think Torger answered this question with a definite yes, with the usual cautionary qualifications.  I think I can see why: DNG profiles are designed to allow us to take any input and turn it into any output via double roundtrips to HVS with stopovers for additional PP (go wild with those sliders, Ken), although compared to a nice, pure linear matrix it seems at first glance to be a little bit like cheating.  This is where I wish we had a bit more clarity from the cognoscenti:

When the goal is trying to objectively characterize HARDWARE quantitatively, as opposed to subjectively achieving pleasing output qualitatively - answering questions that depend on CFA Spectral Sensitivity Functions like sensor gamut, color discrimination, separation, orthogonality - shouldn't we be able to calculate that information straight from the forward 'compromise' matrix?  Hasn't anyone come up with some practical such metrics yet, besides useless SMI?  When someone says 'that camera has poor yellow discrimination', shouldn't we be able to point to a ratio or other combination of terms in the compromise matrix and say yay or nay?  Please show the math in your answer.

Jack
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: synn on May 04, 2016, 03:45:32 am
How did the world ever shoot pictures without knowing the spectral sensitivity of our CFAs!  ::)
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: torger on May 04, 2016, 03:45:55 am
In DCamProf I made some attempt to make a color separation diagram, but I quite quickly moved on to other aspects so I haven't really deep dived into it. I write about it here:
http://www.ludd.ltu.se/~torger/dcamprof.html#ssf_csep

The concept is a chromaticity diagram that compares the signal difference in raw units with DE2000, which is a model of color differences for the human eye. That model is rather approximate though so it's by no means an exact comparison, but I think it's in a way like this you should analyze color separation performance -- that is for each chromaticity check how much the raw signal changes for a perceptually fixed color difference unit.

This type of diagram requires the CFA though, and to make it even better one would need to add analysis of sensor read noise and shot noise on top. I don't think you can make out anything useful from just a matrix, especially in the DNG profile case where the matrix may not be so much about the camera's response but just a derived starting point for the LUTs applied on top, and you can derive those starting points in many different ways. In DCamProf I've chosen to make that starting point an as-hue-accurate as possible desaturated matrix to fit withing ProPhotoRGB primaries, but the Adobe profiles I've looked at has used a different approach where the forward matrix doesn't produce any sane color at all. Some profile's even have a matrix that does nothing, that is just pipe the unmodified (white-balanced) raw color directly to the LUT.

In the end what I think you will discover is that for any modern reasonably high end camera the signal difference is high enough within any reasonable gamut that you could modulate it into almost any color you want with a LUT, but as you start under-expose things or go up in ISO (same as under-exposure) and go into strange lighting conditions you may start to see relevant differences.

I also think that what was true about CFAs a few years ago doesn't necessarily count today, to me it seems like CFA responses have become more and more similar even between brands than they were before (and indeed today most high end cameras even use the same brand -- Sony). I think one reason for this is that as the read noise of the sensors have improved you can have more overlapping filters and thus get finer and more robust color separation -- at the cost of increased noise (compensated by the better pixels). Another reason I would guess is simply because technical research has found better chemical formulas for the filters; as far as I know you just don't choose any shape of the filter you want in the design stage, you are limited by what shapes the current filter technology can apply at such a small scale.

(Why does more overlapping filters increase noise? Because more overlaps => less difference between RGB raw channels => less saturated raw color => camera profile must increase separation/saturation => increase of chroma noise.)
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 04, 2016, 03:58:47 am
Hi,

The camera software or the raw converter knows the spectral sensivity or just uses measured values from reflected targets.

So as usual, you don't need to know because someone else has done the job for you.

Best regards
Erik


How did the world ever shoot pictures without knowing the spectral sensitivity of our CFAs!  ::)
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: synn on May 04, 2016, 04:04:16 am
Hi,

The camera software or the raw converter knows the spectral sensivity or just uses measured values from reflected targets.

So as usual, you don't need to know because someone else has done the job for you.

Best regards
Erik

Erik,

I know and that was exactly my point.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: AreBee on May 04, 2016, 04:05:18 am
Erik,

Quote
I would suggest that this thread is about CCD vs CMOS in MF digital. The question here is if the new CMOS based backs have different rendition of colour compared to their CCD brethren. The link you refer to discusses 4/3 compared to MFD, mostly.

I provided the link not to derail this thread, nor to refer to a comparison of 4/3 and MFD, but to provide clarity to a comment made by Jack.

That much should have been obvious.
Title: Re: Separation, discrimination, orthogonality, gamut
Post by: eronald on May 04, 2016, 07:27:27 am
Hi Erik,

I think Torger answered this question with a definite yes, with the usual cautionary qualifications.  I think I can see why: DNG profiles are designed to allow us to take any input and turn it into any output via double roundtrips to HVS with stopovers for additional PP (go wild with those sliders, Ken), although compared to a nice, pure linear matrix it seems at first glance to be a little bit like cheating.  This is where I wish we had a bit more clarity from the cognoscenti:

When the goal is trying to objectively characterize HARDWARE quantitatively, as opposed to subjectively achieving pleasing output qualitatively - answering questions that depend on CFA Spectral Sensitivity Functions like sensor gamut, color discrimination, separation, orthogonality - shouldn't we be able to calculate that information straight from the forward 'compromise' matrix?  Hasn't anyone come up with some practical such metrics yet, besides useless SMI?  When someone says 'that camera has poor yellow discrimination', shouldn't we be able to point to a ratio or other combination of terms in the compromise matrix and say yay or nay?  Please show the math in your answer.

Jack

The question of why the metrics are so bad is a good one.

One thing I always noticed when visiting Gretag to discuss some new measurement device or do a meeting on camera profiling was the lack of any images on the wall, and the very bad lighting.

What people who work in repro usually do is create their own targets out of a bunch of random materials; the vendor targets have many colors but actually very few pigments, which is why any images shot of them with different cameras can be "superposed" as soon as the pigment recordings are aligned for a given illuminant. So if a programmer says that the profiles can be matched in the sense of matching CC24 to CC24' under incandescent lights, that can be true even if the two cameras will then give completely different renditions in practice, or even on a target made with random materials.

I don't think there is any really hard maths involved (disclaimer, I used to be a mathematician so maths-shaming may not work with me). But there is a fundamental incomprehension of what the hardware should be doing -translating percepts into recordings- and also there is a refusal to keep track of the computational precision of the devices and conversion pipeline. The whole color management model was designed for the scanned-image print world, and it will take another 20 years to catch up with digital capture.

BTW, in my experience 90% of color issues go away immediately even in mixed lighting if you establish a profile in the light of your shot, which is the real advantage of the small colorchecker targets. In the light of the shot means where the subject is, not where you are. I would suggest that people who have color issues start out by doing this rather than junking a whole camera system.

There are some papers out there about what camera sensors do, but in fact - at least when I stopped looking a few years ago - there aren't that many. Nowadays the industry is AFAIK basically riding on the coat-tails of the phone sensors, and that is where all the industry research money is getting spent, although I assume that car sensors are now going to be an even larger market with every car having 10 sensors, some of which will need very high dynamic range.

Camera color is not a research priority. The last major conference I went to, in the non-geriatric crowd (under 30) there were chinese-chinese, taiwan-chinese, american-born-chinese, chinese grad students from the US,  chinese from Canada, chinese from the UK, chinese-chinese grad students from the UK, some indians from the US, some japanese, all from both sexes, a bunch of male and female europeans and a lot of aging US geeks, but not one single american white male under 30. In a phone-camera industry meeting I went to a year or so ago there were few women, but also not a single young white male from the US. As we all know, white males are over-represented in the US computer industry, so their complete absence is indicative of the absence of money and career prospects. On the other hand, color engineering clearly is one tech industry which does not have a diversity problem.

Edmund
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: fdisilvestro on May 04, 2016, 09:08:48 am
If TheSuede said it, I believe it.


+1
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 04, 2016, 12:22:58 pm
Rob,

Mea culpa! The reason I have posted this was that it seems that many photographers have a strong preference for CCD over CMOS. CMOS have been available for MFD for a while, and there are concerns about CMOS vs CCD colours.

This thread was intended to put CMOS vs CCD in a little perspective. I reread the original posting and I know realise that intent was not that clear. I feel that it is very good to discuss noise, DR, PRNU and other relevant factors. But I sort of assume that we are talking relative large sensors here.

The other point is that I can feel that the rendition of two objects are similar, but they may be different for another viewer. Also, just a one test scene may not tell the full story.

If you check the attached images, the ones on the left used Adobe Standard Profile while the ones on the right use a dual illuminant profile produced by DCamProf. The image with the lady on the park sofa doesn't gain that much from the DCamProf profile but the flower image gains a lot.

My personal opinion/guess is that profiles matter much more than CFA-designs and CCD/CMOS doesn't matter at all. The stuff I have seen that far doesn't contradict that belief.

Best regards
Erik




Erik,

I provided the link not to derail this thread, nor to refer to a comparison of 4/3 and MFD, but to provide clarity to a comment made by Jack.

That much should have been obvious.
Title: Re: Separation, discrimination, orthogonality, gamut
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 04, 2016, 12:28:38 pm
Hi Jack,

You overestimate my skills in math…

I would suggest that I agree with Anders Torger's findings. I am also deeply impressed by both the amount and quality of the work he has done.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik,

I think Torger answered this question with a definite yes, with the usual cautionary qualifications.  I think I can see why: DNG profiles are designed to allow us to take any input and turn it into any output via double roundtrips to HVS with stopovers for additional PP (go wild with those sliders, Ken), although compared to a nice, pure linear matrix it seems at first glance to be a little bit like cheating.  This is where I wish we had a bit more clarity from the cognoscenti:

When the goal is trying to objectively characterize HARDWARE quantitatively, as opposed to subjectively achieving pleasing output qualitatively - answering questions that depend on CFA Spectral Sensitivity Functions like sensor gamut, color discrimination, separation, orthogonality - shouldn't we be able to calculate that information straight from the forward 'compromise' matrix?  Hasn't anyone come up with some practical such metrics yet, besides useless SMI?  When someone says 'that camera has poor yellow discrimination', shouldn't we be able to point to a ratio or other combination of terms in the compromise matrix and say yay or nay?  Please show the math in your answer.

Jack
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: torger on May 04, 2016, 01:17:59 pm
A comment about Adobe Lightroom's profiles -- they are not designed for a unified look. I've noted that several newer profiles are quite heavily under-saturated (Pentax 645z, A7r-II to name two), and I hope it's such a profile that's used in the LR vs DCamProf example above, otherwise my stuff is making over-saturation :-)

I think the reason Adobe has made under-saturated profiles is to make them more robust and they assume photographers will push the saturation sliders anyway. The challenge with making profiles with correct saturation is that for the outer gamut edges you end up in strange places. I never really solved that problem completely, so for artificial colored lights the Adobe desaturated profile often makes better results.

In profile design there's often a conflict between color accuracy and gradient smoothness. If you want smooth gradients from the outer "impossible" colors triggered by artificial narrow band lights into the normal gamut you must compromise accuracy also for normal colors, otherwise you will at some point get a too fast transition in the LUT and a bad gradient. The easiest way to get around this is to desaturate the whole profile. CFA design also have an impact here, Sony's sensitive blue channel gave me much problems with the Pentax 645z and the A7r-II. I never really looked at Phase One's implementations back then, but I probably will at some point. Even if the IQx50 has the exact same CFA as the Pentax, which I suspect, they could modulate it with the sensor cover glass.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: Jack Hogan on May 04, 2016, 01:34:34 pm
If you check the attached images, the ones on the left used Adobe Standard Profile while the ones on the right use a dual illuminant profile produced by DCamProf. The image with the lady on the park sofa doesn't gain that much from the DCamProf profile but the flower image gains a lot.

Erik,

both of your flower examples really show the impact the 'right' profile can have - and assuming dcamProf is more 'accurate' out of the box, quite a positive one at that.  It's nice to have a solid starting point upon which to optionally build a personal interpretation.

Jack
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: Jack Hogan on May 04, 2016, 01:37:13 pm
Thanks for your helpful thoughts Edmund and Torger, it will take me a while to metabolize them.

Jack
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 04, 2016, 02:37:17 pm
Hi Anders,

Yes, that sample is from the A7rII!

The point on the IR filter is a good one. It may actually have broader influence than just suppressing IR.

Best regards
Erik


A comment about Adobe Lightroom's profiles -- they are not designed for a unified look. I've noted that several newer profiles are quite heavily under-saturated (Pentax 645z, A7r-II to name two), and I hope it's such a profile that's used in the LR vs DCamProf example above, otherwise my stuff is making over-saturation :-)

I think the reason Adobe has made under-saturated profiles is to make them more robust and they assume photographers will push the saturation sliders anyway. The challenge with making profiles with correct saturation is that for the outer gamut edges you end up in strange places. I never really solved that problem completely, so for artificial colored lights the Adobe desaturated profile often makes better results.

In profile design there's often a conflict between color accuracy and gradient smoothness. If you want smooth gradients from the outer "impossible" colors triggered by artificial narrow band lights into the normal gamut you must compromise accuracy also for normal colors, otherwise you will at some point get a too fast transition in the LUT and a bad gradient. The easiest way to get around this is to desaturate the whole profile. CFA design also have an impact here, Sony's sensitive blue channel gave me much problems with the Pentax 645z and the A7r-II. I never really looked at Phase One's implementations back then, but I probably will at some point. Even if the IQx50 has the exact same CFA as the Pentax, which I suspect, they could modulate it with the sensor cover glass.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: AreBee on May 04, 2016, 02:43:58 pm
Erik,

Quote
Mea culpa!

Keith once wrote: you've always struck me as being the perfect gentleman (http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=95456.msg780781#msg780781). I could not have said it better myself.

Peace.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 04, 2016, 02:52:07 pm
Thanks you both!

Best regards
Erik

Erik,

Keith once wrote: you've always struck me as being the perfect gentleman (http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=95456.msg780781#msg780781). I could not have said it better myself.

Peace.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: eronald on May 05, 2016, 10:40:53 am
Thanks you both!

Best regards
Erik

Absolutely. Always helpful, never impolite. I think Erik should be used as personality model for Google's version of Siri :)

Edmund
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: alifatemi on May 06, 2016, 01:38:52 am
Rob,

Mea culpa! The reason I have posted this was that it seems that many photographers have a strong preference for CCD over CMOS. CMOS have been available for MFD for a while, and there are concerns about CMOS vs CCD colours.

This thread was intended to put CMOS vs CCD in a little perspective. I reread the original posting and I know realise that intent was not that clear. I feel that it is very good to discuss noise, DR, PRNU and other relevant factors. But I sort of assume that we are talking relative large sensors here.

The other point is that I can feel that the rendition of two objects are similar, but they may be different for another viewer. Also, just a one test scene may not tell the full story.

If you check the attached images, the ones on the left used Adobe Standard Profile while the ones on the right use a dual illuminant profile produced by DCamProf. The image with the lady on the park sofa doesn't gain that much from the DCamProf profile but the flower image gains a lot.

My personal opinion/guess is that profiles matter much more than CFA-designs and CCD/CMOS doesn't matter at all. The stuff I have seen that far doesn't contradict that belief.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik! Thanks for trouble, just wonder if you have white balanced those pictures? if yes, what has been your ref. white balance point in those pictures? or you have separate picture with color passport?

Regards
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 06, 2016, 02:55:15 am
Hi,

If we talk about the DigitalTransitions images, those include a Colour Checker Passport. That CCP was used for both grey balance and camera profiling.

WB was on the third from the left (bright grey) patch while exposure was adjusted for the fourth grey patch (medium grey). I made my comparisons using LR and RawTherapee.

This simple comparison says that profiles can handle the basic differences between Dalsa CCD and Sony CMOS. It doesn't say that Dalsa CCD and Sony CMOS yield the same colours in say Capture One. It could be that something that is "similar" to me may be "vastly different" to another observer. None of the shots here contain skin tones.

What I have read, Hasselblad's Phocus makes a very good job on yielding the same colour on all their backs while Capture One uses different interpretation of colour for Leaf and Phase One MFD. So, there is a Phase One look and a Leaf look.

Best regards
Erik


Hi Erik! Thanks for trouble, just wonder if you have white balanced those pictures? if yes, what has been your ref. white balance point in those pictures? or you have separate picture with color passport?

Regards
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: torger on May 06, 2016, 04:34:02 am
By the way, I did a quick comparison of IQ3100 vs A7r-II color response yesterday from Doug's raw files. I'd rather compare the IQx50 with the 645z as they're supposed to have the same sensor but I have no color checker raw shot of that at hand. What I could see though is that the "over-sensitive blue problem" with the A7r-II and Pentax 645z is not there with the IQ3100. This could be to a different CFA, or simply that the sensor glass cuts off some blue and not only IR. In any case a nicer hardware response to work with for color profile designers.

When it comes to matching cameras with profile I usually say that you can bring them very close, and indeed you can. However there will still be residual differences, and when you apply LUT relaxation to improve gradients the differences increase. For saturated colors there can easily be a 3-4 DE difference.

Another aspect is that many profile makers don't care to correct lightness with the LUT, and indeed per default DCamProf doesn't either. One reason for this is that colorcheckers are rarely evenly lit so lightness inputs are not to be trusted. Another reason is that lightness errors are the least disturbing, despite being easier to spot than hue/saturation in a quick A/B swap, and risking to break gradient performance just to correct lightness is often a bad idea. This means that lightness of saturated colors can differ quite much between cameras even when profiled for the same setup.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: eronald on May 06, 2016, 07:18:51 am
Hi -

 Could you explain what you mean by "matching" cameras?
 When you talk about DE, as you say you don't match lightness, is this effectively Delta AB?

Edmund

By the way, I did a quick comparison of IQ3100 vs A7r-II color response yesterday from Doug's raw files. I'd rather compare the IQx50 with the 645z as they're supposed to have the same sensor but I have no color checker raw shot of that at hand. What I could see though is that the "over-sensitive blue problem" with the A7r-II and Pentax 645z is not there with the IQ3100. This could be to a different CFA, or simply that the sensor glass cuts off some blue and not only IR. In any case a nicer hardware response to work with for color profile designers.

When it comes to matching cameras with profile I usually say that you can bring them very close, and indeed you can. However there will still be residual differences, and when you apply LUT relaxation to improve gradients the differences increase. For saturated colors there can easily be a 3-4 DE difference.

Another aspect is that many profile makers don't care to correct lightness with the LUT, and indeed per default DCamProf doesn't either. One reason for this is that colorcheckers are rarely evenly lit so lightness inputs are not to be trusted. Another reason is that lightness errors are the least disturbing, despite being easier to spot than hue/saturation in a quick A/B swap, and risking to break gradient performance just to correct lightness is often a bad idea. This means that lightness of saturated colors can differ quite much between cameras even when profiled for the same setup.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 06, 2016, 07:34:32 am
Hi,

Delta E normally includes lightness: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_difference

Best regards
Erik



Hi -

 Could you explain what you mean by "matching" cameras?
 When you talk about DE, as you say you don't match lightness, is this effectively Delta AB?

Edmund
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: eronald on May 06, 2016, 07:45:59 am
Hi,

Delta E normally includes lightness: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_difference

Best regards
Erik

Are you using delta E(76) or delta E(94)?

Edmund
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 06, 2016, 07:51:35 am
Hi Edmund,

I am not using Delta E these days, as I don't try to make numerical comparisons. When doing comparisons I mostly used CIEDE 2000.

The L value makes comparisons a bit messy, as tonal reproduction curve is intended to be slightly unlinear. I mostly used "Patch Tool" for comparisons.


Are you using delta E(76) or delta E(94)?

Edmund
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: eronald on May 06, 2016, 07:54:17 am
Hi Edmund,

I am not using Delta E these days, as I don't try to make numerical comparisons. When doing comparisons I mostly used CIEDE 2000.

The L value makes comparisons a bit messy, as tonal reproduction curve is intended to be slightly unlinear. I mostly used "Patch Tool" for comparisons.

Erik,

 I am sorry, the quote was from Torger, and the question *for him* relative to *his* quote. I would like to know what DE measure *he* is using when he talks about 3-4 DE.

Edmund
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: torger on May 06, 2016, 08:54:48 am
I'm using CIE DE2000, and when analyzing I often split it up to look at hue, lightness and chroma separately. It's not an exact measure though, especially in the more extreme ranges. When I was referring to a 3-4 DE difference it's just to indicate the scale of differences so which standard that is used doesn't matter that much.

The numbers included lightness, but I don't think "not correcting lightness + LUT relax" compared to "correcting lightness + LUT relax" does that much of a difference since the relax brings it closer to a matrix solution anyway, it depends on how strong relaxation is. All this can be controlled with DCamProf, and the default relax is quite strong.

The goals of a general-purpose profile and a reproduction profile is quite different. I aim for general-purpose profiles and then it doesn't make much sense to try to get colors super-correct for a particular target and lighting condition and introduce strong LUT stretches to do so. Instead the LUT is kept quite relaxed to guarantee good gradients in any condition, and then "the magic" takes place in applying the "film curve" and subtle subjective adjustments in the "look" (this is also applied via a LUT).

I'd love to put some more effort into the design bits and make a GUI etc, and I have still much to learn about this, but it's a huge project and you really can't sell the stuff in any numbers, so it's not strange that there's not much profile design software around... all stuff the manufacturers do is in-house with their own custom software, and they don't talk about how they do things.

Could you explain what you mean by "matching" cameras?
 When you talk about DE, as you say you don't match lightness, is this effectively Delta AB?
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: eronald on May 06, 2016, 09:04:04 am
I'm using CIE DE2000, and when analyzing I often split it up to look at hue, lightness and chroma separately. It's not an exact measure though, especially in the more extreme ranges. When I was referring to a 3-4 DE difference it's just to indicate the scale of differences so which standard that is used doesn't matter that much.

The numbers included lightness, but I don't think "not correcting lightness + LUT relax" compared to "correcting lightness + LUT relax" does that much of a difference since the relax brings it closer to a matrix solution anyway, it depends on how strong relaxation is. All this can be controlled with DCamProf, and the default relax is quite strong.

The goals of a general-purpose profile and a reproduction profile is quite different. I aim for general-purpose profiles and then it doesn't make much sense to try to get colors super-correct for a particular target and lighting condition and introduce strong LUT stretches to do so. Instead the LUT is kept quite relaxed to guarantee good gradients in any condition, and then "the magic" takes place in applying the "film curve" and subtle subjective adjustments in the "look" (this is also applied via a LUT).

I'd love to put some more effort into the design bits and make a GUI etc, and I have still much to learn about this, but it's a huge project and you really can't sell the stuff in any numbers, so it's not strange that there's not much profile design software around...

Ah. Thx for your reply.

My opinion on GUI is that ergonomics is a different skill, and a good way for a core author  to do things is to make a set of batch-callable small routines and let people wrap a GUI around them. With a web backend calling things is easy, and the frontend is then web programming. I once did a demo for Barbieri by doing an Argyll wrapper with shell scripts and a web frontend, yielding a pushbutton profiler. And Iliah Borg also wrote something using Livecode as a wrapper...

One reason for the absence of *commercial* software is that there are a bunch of patents, especially by Kodak and people are very afraid of them.

Edmund
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: AlterEgo on May 06, 2016, 10:15:08 am
I'd love to put some more effort into the design bits and make a GUI etc

better to spend possible effort on core functionality and documentation...
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: eronald on May 06, 2016, 10:45:17 am
better to spend possible effort on core functionality and documentation...

Yes, I agree. Argyll and LittleCMS are good example of programs adopted by the color community because they are scriptable and documented.

BTW the real market is in cine grading and matching cameras. Cine guys have a budget for every project, still guys have a single software budget for their whole hardware kit.

Edmund
Title: Some examples… using DCamProf
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 11, 2016, 11:57:06 am
Hi,

I shot some real world examples. These images have same processing, in Lightroom, using the profiles generated by Anders Torger's DCamProf.

P45+ on the left A7rII on the right.

Best regards
Erik
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 11, 2016, 12:02:55 pm
Hi,

Here is another one. P45+ on the left A7rII on the right.

Best regards
Erik
Title: Re: Some examples… using DCamProf
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on May 11, 2016, 12:07:37 pm
Hi,

I shot some real world examples. These images have same processing, in Lightroom, using the profiles generated by Anders Torger's DCamProf.

Hi Erik,

What's left and what's right, IOW what are we comparing with?

Left is more (on sRGB displays too much?) saturated, and right is more controlled and a bit less yellow.

Of course that is a basis for further processing, so the differences could be made smaller by not using the same settings, but for a comparison one attempts to change as few variables as possible, in this case only the profile.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Some examples… using DCamProf
Post by: eronald on May 11, 2016, 12:36:16 pm
Hi,

I shot some real world examples. These images have same processing, in Lightroom, using the profiles generated by Anders Torger's DCamProf.

When one looks at the full-scene images, the one on the left is alive, the one on the right is a zombie.

Edmund
Title: Re: Some examples… using DCamProf
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 11, 2016, 12:41:24 pm
Hi Bart,

Left is P45+ and right is A7rII. I was in a great hurry posting those images, so I forgot to write which is which. Sorry!

Here the intent was to use a real world subject and keep everything the same, except profiles.

Tim Parkin has some interesting discussion on the issue: https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2012/02/the-myth-of-universal-colour/

But that web site is not available right now.

I will check out some other profiles later and perhaps also RawTherapee.

The raw images will be posted, probably later today, so if anyone wants to play C1 or something else…


Best regards
Erik


Hi Erik,

What's left and what's right, IOW what are we comparing with?

Left is more (on sRGB displays too much?) saturated, and right is more controlled and a bit less yellow.

Of course that is a basis for further processing, so the differences could be made smaller by not using the same settings, but for a comparison one attempts to change as few variables as possible, in this case only the profile.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Some examples… using DCamProf
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 11, 2016, 12:42:46 pm
Hi Edmund,

P45+ is the one alive and A7rII is the zombie.

Best regards
Erik

When one looks at the full-scene images, the one on the left is alive, the one on the right is a zombie.

Edmund
Title: Re: Some examples… using DCamProf
Post by: eronald on May 11, 2016, 12:51:14 pm
I used to show people two prints of a raw steak.

One print made with standard Epson profiles, the other with my custom profile.

One image looked like something you would buy, the other like something you would throw away.

Edmund

Hi Edmund,

P45+ is the one alive and A7rII is the zombie.

Best regards
Erik
Title: Re: Some examples… using DCamProf
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on May 11, 2016, 01:12:45 pm
When one looks at the full-scene images, the one on the left is alive, the one on the right is a zombie.

Hi Edmund,

That's what happens, if different profiles for different lenses+cameras/sensors are used with the same post-processing. The real question (and not the main goal of the thread) is of course which image can be made to look better, after using the data we get out of the Raw conversion/demosaicing stage.

I prefer the more saturated look (but not the oversaturation of some tones, nor the overall yellow tone), but that is easy to also achieve with the image on the right because it seems to have a well managed tonality to begin with. The question becomes whether the image on the left still has data to allow some post-processing of saturated detail or is it all bunched up in similar values beyond the ability to create subtle tone differences.

Also, don't forget that one of the benefits of Medium Format is a potentially higher MTF, because image detail is projected larger on the sensor, and needs less magnification for output to a similar size.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Some examples… using DCamProf
Post by: eronald on May 11, 2016, 01:16:54 pm
Bart,

 I'm sure you're right. As for me - I simply don't use Lightroom
 Not using Lightroom is the single quickest way to make one's pictures better - if one can locate them :)

Edmund

Hi Edmund,

That's what happens, if different profiles for different lenses+cameras/sensors are used with the same post-processing. The real question (and not the main goal of the thread) is of course which image can be made to look better, after using the data we get out of the Raw conversion/demosaicing stage.

I prefer the more saturated look (but not the oversaturation of some tones, nor the overall yellow tone), but that is easy to also achieve with the image on the right because it seems to have a well managed tonality to begin with. The question becomes whether the image on the left still has data to allow some post-processing of saturated detail or is it all bunched up in similar values beyond the ability to create subtle tone differences.

Also, don't forget that one of the benefits of Medium Format is a potentially higher MTF, because image detail is projected larger on the sensor, and needs less magnification for output to a similar size.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Some examples… using DCamProf
Post by: Jack Hogan on May 11, 2016, 03:03:33 pm
When one looks at the full-scene images, the one on the left is alive, the one on the right is a zombie.

Agreed.  The problem is that the difference appears to be almost entirely in saturation, which appears to have become an arbitrary parameter in current profiles since DNG 1.4.  Hey, the minute you buy into the idea that all a profile needs to do linearly is plop you into perceptual intent projection lines, the sky is the limit and Ken Rockwell is perceptually colorimetric.

Jack
Title: Re: Some examples… using DCamProf
Post by: Jack Hogan on May 11, 2016, 03:08:21 pm
Not using Lightroom is the single quickest way to make one's pictures better - if one can locate them :)

I don't use Lightroom precisely because I can never locate them in my three working computers.

Jack
Title: Re: Some examples… using DCamProf
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 11, 2016, 03:17:47 pm
Hi,

As it happens, most photographers who's work I am familiar with use Lightroom. I would guess that vision, knowledge, subjects and workmanship are far more important than choice of tools. I would suggest that most photographers use Canon cameras and Lightroom so Canon and Lightroom are probably properly represented in any choice of great pictures.

A small point I would make is that experience matters. You find a way of processing your images. Learn what seems to be the best way to make the best of the tools you have at hand.

Best regards
Erik


Bart,

 I'm sure you're right. As for me - I simply don't use Lightroom
 Not using Lightroom is the single quickest way to make one's pictures better - if one can locate them :)

Edmund
Title: raw files
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 11, 2016, 03:30:13 pm
Hi,

Here are raw files from the P45+ / A7rII shot: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Colours/Raws/

I will post the calibration images later.

Just to make it clear, the intention with this thread is to discuss what differences are due to processing (that is profiles) and what is due to sensors. I would very much like to compare different sensors, but the samples I publish are based on the stuff I actually own.

According to Anders Torger's writing both the P45+ and the A7rII are difficult to handle. Oversaturation on the P45+ and excessive sensitivity in blue on the A7rII.

Tim Parkin and Joe Cornish say that the P45+ produces yellowish greens that are difficult to handle. I have this from Tim in writing but he makes it very clear Joe Cornish have the same issues. They also say DALSA based Phase One does not have that problem.

I guess that some may see it yellowish greens as a benefit, it is a warm and therefore pleasant reproduction.

Best regards
Erik

Title: Re: Some examples… using DCamProf
Post by: eronald on May 11, 2016, 04:35:53 pm
Erik,

 This happens to be one of the rare places where a majority of people might agree if I say "LR has nice workflow, but if you want good quality conversions, C1 is much better, especially for Phase files, and especially when it comes to color". I know people like to disagree with me, but I fear for once I might have both Synn and Doug at my side :)

 I hate LR conversions, although I love PS as a Tiff editor. There was a time when I ran every Canon image through LR automatically with a script, but when I wanted to do a large print I would use DPP.


Edmund


Hi,

As it happens, most photographers who's work I am familiar with use Lightroom. I would guess that vision, knowledge, subjects and workmanship are far more important than choice of tools. I would suggest that most photographers use Canon cameras and Lightroom so Canon and Lightroom are probably properly represented in any choice of great pictures.

A small point I would make is that experience matters. You find a way of processing your images. Learn what seems to be the best way to make the best of the tools you have at hand.

Best regards
Erik
Title: Re: Some examples… using DCamProf
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 11, 2016, 10:47:31 pm
Hi Edmund,

Here is the P45+ image processed by both Capture One and Lightroom.

Adjustment, WB on grey card shots on both. LR +0.33EV C1 -0.4EV.

LR using profile created by DCamProf while Capture One using default P45+ profile.

Capture One uses the "film curve", which is default rendition. That is probably causing the exposure difference.

First crop: C1 (tiff file, on top)
Second crop: C1 (tiff file on the left)

Both processors do a lot of stuff under the hood. It is a bit easier to generate DCP profiles for Lightroom than for C1. That is the main reason I use LR for this comparison.

I will do the same comparison using RawTherape.

Best regards
Erik


Erik,

 This happens to be one of the rare places where a majority of people might agree if I say "LR has nice workflow, but if you want good quality conversions, C1 is much better, especially for Phase files, and especially when it comes to color". I know people like to disagree with me, but I fear for once I might have both Synn and Doug at my side :)

 I hate LR conversions, although I love PS as a Tiff editor. There was a time when I ran every Canon image through LR automatically with a script, but when I wanted to do a large print I would use DPP.


Edmund
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 12, 2016, 01:24:24 am
Hi,

What I may see is that I get more yellowish greens from the P45+, even when using DCP-profiles generated by DCamProf. In these cases I tried to do everything the same way, but there are some room for mistakes. One of the first mistakes was that I didn't have my WB card with me, so I need to get WB off a different shot, made something like 30 minutes later.

Using Capture One gives more yellowish greens on the P45+ than Lightroom with my profile.

So, what I see is that the P45+ back may render grass more yellow than the Sony A7rII I compare to. That is a bit consistent with some writing by Tim Parkin, who says that P45+ has issues with reproduction of chlorophyll greens. That could be an IR-filtering issue, as chlorophyl has high IR reflection.

If we check the flower crops I would say colour is pretty close, so I think that the colour profiles take good care of that part.

On Landscape (the Tim Parkin's on line publication) is unreachable right now, but here is what he said about P45+ colour in an e-mail to me:

"I'd love to try to get some good metamer pairs to test sensors with but it's tough finding good information about them. DxO use color checker targets for this and they don't realy work and I think they'we working with illuminant metamerism anyway. It's an 'indication' but not fact.

I spoke with Joe about the P45 endlessly and he had a whole workflow to try to 'fix' the colour which all went out of the window when the IQ180 came in. He now does almost nothing to the files to get what he wants. It's definitely mostly grassy stuff but quite often skies and reflected colour that are problematic. Also shadows in geology can be an issue (I presume infra red effects as well).

They're not a problem for some subjects and an absolute nightmare for others. I can still 'see' Joe's P45+ files as long as they have some greenery in them (or sometimes from the sky).

I'll have a think again about metameric pairs"

Joe is Joe Cornish, a well known British landscape photographer. He is presented in some of Phase One's marketing videos. The P45+ has a Kodak Sensor while the IQ 180 has a DALSA sensor.

Best regards
Erik




Title: Summing up my observations
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 12, 2016, 01:51:06 am
Hi,

What i have observed from the experiments on this thread I would say that the first experiments, based on DT-s table top setup sort of indicated that profiles can by and large handle potential differences between DALSA CCD and Sony CMOS.

In my field shots using P45+ and Sony A7rII it may be differences that simple profiles cannot handle. It is possible to tweak profiles a lot, of course.

The major difference I have noticed was that the grass had a yellow tint on the P45+ shots. This was even more pronounced in Capture one processing.

So, what does this mean for an MFD buyer? Not so much. I would say that it is probable that CMOS and CCD can deliver similar colour with good profiles. But MFD shooters use vendor software, mostly, and in that case they get the profiles "The Image Quality Professor" develops or his colleague at Hasselblad. Pentax 645Z and Leica S shooters seem to be happy with their cameras, mostly shooting Lightroom.

Lightroom has a lot of profiling options.

With DCamProf we can generate profiles for both DCP and Capture One and those profiles are probably very good.

Best regards
Erik
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: torger on May 12, 2016, 02:38:34 am
I'm one of those that think Capture One's color is overrated, and I'm sure that's one reason some have chosen Hasselblad over Phase One despite the more primitive backs and software.

Phase One has this thing about putting a yellow cast over everything, and I just don't think that's the right thing to do. Hasselblad does put a little bit warmth in there, and in my own subjective profiles I do put a little warmth into yellows and greens, but to a much lesser extent and less global than Phase One's profiles.

I can't deny that the profiles are really well made in terms of technical design, but I personally don't agree with their choice on how to render colors.

It's hard to discuss colors without having images to show though. What's is a "huge" difference to one person can be "small" or even not detectable to another. I'd love to see image examples of the color issues Tim mentions, and try to figure out if it's a profile issue or a CFA issue.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: synn on May 12, 2016, 03:30:00 am
I know what you mean by the "Yellow cast". it's quite subtle and it works for many scenarios, but if you don't like it, you can automate the 3 way color editor to your liking.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: torger on May 12, 2016, 04:40:34 am
Here's an example of what I think is a suitable addition of warmth. The first is a neutral rendering, and the second is with my own subjective look. At first glance they may look identical, but layer them on top and do a A/B swap the difference is quite easily seen. This level of difference is what I call subtle, and I think Phase One is way past that.

Unfortunately I did not have the original Phocus rendering left so you just have to take my word that the yellowness in that pretty much matches the yellowness in my subjective rendering.

I think the "color memory" of an sunny early evening is that the sunlight is somewhat yellow, and if you render a scene neutrally it becomes a tiny bit too cool, the sunlight looks too white. However I see little reason to apply yellowness to a blue sky for example, so warming up the green-to-yellow range I think is the right way to do, but stay out from the shadows which could stay neutral or even be cooled down a bit.

My intention when making a subjective look in a profile is to make it "look right", sort of a more neutral than neutral. The task to add a strong personal look I think should be left to the post-processing workflow, but there are of course different preferences.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: LDJ on May 12, 2016, 05:45:34 am
I totally agree that Capture One's colours are totally overrated. I find the yellow/warm cast pronounced and a real headache to deal with in many images; I shoot predominantly interior lifestyle and getting neutral paint colours to look right without other elements in images being adversely affected can be very tricky. The yellowing of greens in landscapes is also not a look I like (particularly when it is as pronounced as it was with my old P45+ back). On some jobs I have resorted to using Canon's DPP/Lightroom to process the files as they give much more neutral starting points, without a warm cast. Colour accuracy with C1 Pro is also poor in my view: try capturing a selection of fabrics showing vibrant and varied colours and getting accurate colours using C1 Pro without many adjustments using the Advanced tab of the Color Editor...

Although I don't have a need to shoot with digital backs as much these days, I am hoping that Phocus is improved just a little more, e.g. the addition of perspective tools which I need when tethering in front of clients/collaborators, so that I can start using Hasselblad backs instead of Phase, as I find the Hasselblad colours much better and the overall look far more neutral. My understanding is that Phase wanted to create a 'pleasing' look with it's colour rendering choice but, in my opinion, the aim should be for accurate and neutral colours as a starting point; leave the subjective colour to the photographer.

Best

Liam
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: Christoph B. on May 12, 2016, 06:01:47 am
Interesting. I found the opposite to be true - Lightroom always gave my files a warmer tone while CaptureOne creates neutral images without any colours shifts.

Perhaps it's the profile of the P45+? I'm using a P65+ and that has a different sensor and profile. Or maybe it's an issue of white balance? Do you use grey cards or other means to get your WB right? And what about your screens - are they calibrated? And if so - how?
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: LDJ on May 12, 2016, 06:19:06 am
Hi

When comparing C1 Pro with Lightroom, I'm specifically referring to my Canon files as I never processed my P45+ files (or files from any other Phase backs I have used) with any program other than C1 Pro. I always use a grey card (normally X-rite) and have a hardware calibrated Eizo monitor. I'd be interested to know how Phase create their colour profiles because the files have a warm cast even though the patches on grey cards show equal RGB numbers; it is almost as though Phase make sure that true neutral greys stay neutral whilst giving a warm cast to all other colours.

Perhaps users of other brands will have a different view on C1 Pro's colour rendering.

Best

Liam
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: torger on May 12, 2016, 06:35:22 am
When you design a warm look you still need to keep the neutrals neutral, otherwise it's just a white balance offset. So yes the warm look often seen in Capture One is a designed look, it's not just a white balance offset. I'm not sure if all cameras are affected and to the same amount, C1 supports hundreds....

When working with my profiling software I saw results from P45+ and IQ260 which both had that tendency towards yellow. Obviously many like it, and it's not bad for a camera company to have a look that the customers identify with so they stay loyal to the brand. Leaf has a distinct different look from Phase One, and indeed some choose Leaf for that reason, and not only because of the more attractive price.

Partly to break free from "brand looks" I started to make my own profiles so I can more easily move between brands without significantly changing the look of my images.

I've tried more profiles from Lightroom, and they can vary quite much in look. A clear example is the desaturated look in A7r-II and Pentax 645z profiles and some others that are not mirrored in other of their profiles. Lightroom also provides extra profiles for the more popular cameras that contain looks that is supposed to mimic the manufacturers own profiles if I got things right, I have never made a comparison myself so I don't know how close they are.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: LDJ on May 12, 2016, 07:28:37 am
That makes sense to keep the neutrals 'neutral'; I find the fact that it is possible to keep greys neutral all the way from the shadows to the highlights, whilst giving an overall warm look to images, interesting. I often find myself using the Color Balance wheels in C1 to compensate for the yellow cast; this helps to create a more neutral looking file overall in many cases but naturally means that the greys are no longer perfectly neutral 'by the numbers', and there are times when this causes more issues than it solves.

Anyway, I guess the colours out of C1 are what they are and it is unlikely that Phase is going to change its approach to colour rendering any time soon...

L
Title: Re: Some examples… using DCamProf
Post by: eronald on May 12, 2016, 08:40:13 am
Agreed.  The problem is that the difference appears to be almost entirely in saturation, which appears to have become an arbitrary parameter in current profiles since DNG 1.4.  Hey, the minute you buy into the idea that all a profile needs to do linearly is plop you into perceptual intent projection lines, the sky is the limit and Ken Rockwell is perceptually colorimetric.

Jack

My standard trick when I was younger was to go to the Kodak site and get the densitometric channel by channel data for their films; other types I got from old camera magazines, in the old days camera mags were really geeky. This allowed me to figure out their proprietary tints in the shadows and the highlight rolloffs. May not have been a scientific method for profile design, but it gave me profiles I could live with :)

I am happy people are debating this issue seriously here. It is time camera color improved, and it won't get better without debate, whatever the tool set.

Edmund
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on May 12, 2016, 09:51:26 am
That makes sense to keep the neutrals 'neutral'; I find the fact that it is possible to keep greys neutral all the way from the shadows to the highlights, whilst giving an overall warm look to images, interesting. I often find myself using the Color Balance wheels in C1 to compensate for the yellow cast; this helps to create a more neutral looking file overall in many cases but naturally means that the greys are no longer perfectly neutral 'by the numbers', and there are times when this causes more issues than it solves.

Anyway, I guess the colours out of C1 are what they are and it is unlikely that Phase is going to change its approach to colour rendering any time soon...

Hi,

I agree that correcting to achieve a different 'look' with the Colorbalance tools will change the neutral tones as well, so that's not the best method.

But Capture One is very capable of specifically modifying the (IMHO too yellow grass-greens) to less yellow, and even allows that to become the new default ICC profile to open new files with. The 'Advanced Color Editor' is our friend, so we are not stuck with how things are, we can change the (default) behavior.

Even if an image is mostly okay, but one wishes to change some tones, locally, that operation is hugely simplified by creating a Color Editor generated selection mask and use that on an adjustment layer. One can then locally modify the greens (or any other selection) by using a different Color Balance or with other tools, and e.g. even add some Structure to only those masked-in colors (e.g. to help foliage and grass definition).

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 12, 2016, 01:58:17 pm
Hi Anders,

Here is an image I had some private conversations with Tim about.

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/OLS_OnColor/BraheHus/

The raw files are here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/OLS_OnColor/BraheHus/index2.html

I have no grey card shots for those images, unfortunately.

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/ColourCalibration/SLT99/

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/ColourCalibration/P45+

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/ColourCalibration/A7rII



I will try to put up more info.…

Best regards
Erik




I'm one of those that think Capture One's color is overrated, and I'm sure that's one reason some have chosen Hasselblad over Phase One despite the more primitive backs and software.

Phase One has this thing about putting a yellow cast over everything, and I just don't think that's the right thing to do. Hasselblad does put a little bit warmth in there, and in my own subjective profiles I do put a little warmth into yellows and greens, but to a much lesser extent and less global than Phase One's profiles.

I can't deny that the profiles are really well made in terms of technical design, but I personally don't agree with their choice on how to render colors.

It's hard to discuss colors without having images to show though. What's is a "huge" difference to one person can be "small" or even not detectable to another. I'd love to see image examples of the color issues Tim mentions, and try to figure out if it's a profile issue or a CFA issue.
Title: Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 14, 2016, 12:45:22 am
Hi Bart,

I played a little bit with the advanced colour editor in C1 and it seems to be very useful.

Best regards
Erik


Hi,

I agree that correcting to achieve a different 'look' with the Colorbalance tools will change the neutral tones as well, so that's not the best method.

But Capture One is very capable of specifically modifying the (IMHO too yellow grass-greens) to less yellow, and even allows that to become the new default ICC profile to open new files with. The 'Advanced Color Editor' is our friend, so we are not stuck with how things are, we can change the (default) behavior.

Even if an image is mostly okay, but one wishes to change some tones, locally, that operation is hugely simplified by creating a Color Editor generated selection mask and use that on an adjustment layer. One can then locally modify the greens (or any other selection) by using a different Color Balance or with other tools, and e.g. even add some Structure to only those masked-in colors (e.g. to help foliage and grass definition).

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Another pair of samples and back to that CMOS vs CCD question
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 14, 2016, 01:40:22 am
Hi,

Here is another pair of images, shot on the P45+ and on the Sony A7rII, both processed in Lightroom using DCamProf profiles.
This page may give a better view and also has links to raw files: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Colours/GreenSeparation/

P45+Sony A7rII
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Colours/GreenSeparation/20160511-CF047200.jpg)(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Colours/GreenSeparation/20160511-_DSC5244.jpg)

A few comments:

These two cameras not only represent CCD and CMOS, but also very different and somewhat problematic CFA designs. The P45+ has a CFA design favouring very saturated colours and the Sony CMOS has extended blue sensivity, all that according to Anders Torger who developed DCamProf.

Anders also says that the Pentax 645Z has similar issues to the but some other sensors (Phase One IQ3 100MP?) does not. It could be a different CFA or a different IR filter.

Vegetation has very high IR-content and digital camera sensors are quite sensitive to IR, so IR filtering clearly plays a role.

This time of the year, late sprint to early summer, we have a great variation of greens. In the samples above the tree in the backgrund had a very intense lush green.

What I see here is that rendition is quite similar, albeit the P45+ finds quite a bit more yellows in the greens. It may be that a program like RawTherapee would give even more similar rendition. I don't show RT samples, though, as I have found that I am prone to make mistakes in doing identical processing to images with RT.

We have seen in previous samples that Capture One adds quite a lot of yellow by default, so I left it out of this comparison.

My understanding is that most MFD sensors are more "main stream" now days. It would be very interesting to shoot with both DALSA and Kodak equipped sensors and compare with CMOS based cameras.

What I see is that a good profile maker can make two very different sensors quite similar and I would be not surprised if they could be even closer by adding some look.

Best regards
Erik
Title: Re: Summing up my observations
Post by: alifatemi on May 14, 2016, 01:51:21 pm


In my field shots using P45+ and Sony A7rII it may be differences that simple profiles cannot handle. It is possible to tweak profiles a lot, of course.

Erik, how can you tweet profile? Is it possible? When I profiling my cameras with Xrite profiler and compare the picture with passport, I like to fine tune the profile a little bit sometimes but don't know how. Thanks
Title: Re: Summing up my observations
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 14, 2016, 03:27:54 pm
Hi Ali,

My favourite tool used to be Adobe DNG Profile Editor. With that tool you can generate a colour profile from a colour checker card and it allows you to tune colour rendition for individual samples. It is free.

In these tests I have used DCamProf. DCamProf takes the approach that it produces a colour correct conversion on which you can apply a "look". At this stage I don't think there is some tool for designing such a look with a What You See Is What You Get approach.

Bart has pointed out that Capture One Pro has an advanced colour editor, that allows you to make tweaks to a profile and save that as an ICC file. Just keep in mind that mixing with stuff can mix up stuff. Colour management is not trivial. I have some sample where colour profiles induce pretty bad artefacts, something like this:
C1-defaultAdobe STD
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Artefacts/20150407-CF046278_C1.jpg)(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Artefacts/20150407-CF046278_AS.jpg)
Adobe DNG Profile EdiorDcamProf
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Artefacts/20150407-CF046278_DPE.jpg)(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Artefacts/20150407-CF046278_DCamProf.jpg)

In this case both the Adobe Standard profile and DCamprof generate smooth transitions, the Capture One conversion has some artefacts and the file created by the DNG Profile Editor has a lot of artefacts. This image comes from a P45+.

Best regards
Erik






In my field shots using P45+ and Sony A7rII it may be differences that simple profiles cannot handle. It is possible to tweak profiles a lot, of course.

Erik, how can you tweet profile? Is it possible? When I profiling my cameras with Xrite profiler and compare the picture with passport, I like to fine tune the profile a little bit sometimes but don't know how. Thanks