Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: maddogmurph on April 17, 2016, 09:24:21 pm
-
Getting to this part of the Grand Canyon can be quite the challenge in itself. My jeep has been put thoroughly through testing as of late. In this image I'm holding a flashlight pointing at Jupiter as it rises in the twilight sky. The sun set about 45 minutes earlier and the sky began it's faint twilight glow. The moon above is illuminating the canyon, and is the only reason we can see into the otherwise dark area spanning 3,000 feet below. It's a sheer drop off, and in order to get onto the point you see, there are two cracks that must be jumped over. These cracks are quite deep, and thankfully at night you can't really see, but falling there would mean certain death. The wind is nearly always extremely strong here, it was probably 35 miles per hour this day. There are a few other faint stars in the sky, and the faint light from the sunset earlier is still shining through.
-
Just friggin' WOW. Creative use of flashlight, camera and Jeep perfectly realized. Congrats.
-
Beautiful.
I've hiked the canyon from the South Rim to the Inner Gorge. I can appreciate the depth. I would not be jumping over any cracks in the bloody dark. I'm glad you're alive to post the image.
-
Performed by seasoned professional. Do NOT try this at home!
I'm glad you survived to tell us about it and to show us the splendid result.
Eric
-
Really nice! Must have been fun too.
-
Wonderful photo. Did you set the camera with a 10 sec delay:)
-
Beautiful and creative image, very well done.
The feat you performed to get there is an example that I often use to illustrate balancing relative risk vs. consequences. If the gap was, say, 3 feet across, and you are an average jumper, then the odds are low that you would fall. But since the depth is great, the consequences of falling are extreme. Should you do it? (There is no right answer that fits everyone.)
-
Very nice! I've been out to Toroweap a few times and it seems the road gets a little worse each time I visit.
-
Very nice! I've been out to Toroweap a few times and it seems the road gets a little worse each time I visit.
Yep, it was worse than just 8 months earlier for me. But my jeep is raised up now, so I wasn't too worried.