Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: muralin on April 03, 2016, 09:34:30 pm

Title: Aurora Borealis just outside of Hofn, Iceland
Post by: muralin on April 03, 2016, 09:34:30 pm
We were in Iceland for 12 nights. It was totally cloudy skies on 11 of those nights >:( 2 days before we left Iceland, while at Hofn, we had a clear nite till midnite or so. The show started about 45 min after sunset and lasted about 90 minutes. Non stop action. Kp index that nite was a 4. Felt blessed. Here are 3 images from the show all shot from the comfort of my room.
Title: Re: Aurora Borealis just outside of Hofn, Iceland
Post by: thierrylegros396 on April 04, 2016, 03:19:49 am
2nd and 3rd are AMAZING.

Thierry
Title: Re: Aurora Borealis just outside of Hofn, Iceland
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on April 04, 2016, 04:07:51 am
I really like #3. In the others, I feel I want to see a bit more of the mountains, to complement the sky. Must be great shooting these from inside one's room:)
Title: Re: Aurora Borealis just outside of Hofn, Iceland
Post by: muralin on April 04, 2016, 09:12:35 am
I posted 3 images to show how the whole show started and evolved. the 1st image was about 45 min after sunset. couldnt see the band visually but the sensor could see it. Then i knew in which direction the action was going to be and then composed the image.

i cropped a bit from the bottom to get rid of some junk & light pollution in the foreground. Good feedback though. May be I'll bring basck the foreground so that u can see a bit more of the bottom.
Title: Re: Aurora Borealis just outside of Hofn, Iceland
Post by: francois on April 05, 2016, 04:06:17 am
What a beautiful set of images. I can't even decide between #2 (for the clean line) and #3 (for its intensity).
Bravo and thanks for sharing.
Title: Re: Aurora Borealis just outside of Hofn, Iceland
Post by: Tony Jay on April 05, 2016, 05:24:45 am
Thank you for gracing us with your work!

I really enjoyed the images but have to confess to a bit of jealously that I wasn't there to view that directly.
Oh well, there is still time I guess.

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Aurora Borealis just outside of Hofn, Iceland
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 05, 2016, 08:47:56 am
#2 is my favorite, with #3 close behind. Great shots!
Title: Re: Aurora Borealis just outside of Hofn, Iceland
Post by: John Koerner on April 06, 2016, 12:04:14 am
#2 is my favorite also. The green lights wind and make me want to follow the trail ...

#1 is beautiful in color, but the composition cut-out the ground in the lower middle, which makes me want to "adjust the framing down" ...

#3 is nice also.
Title: Re: Aurora Borealis just outside of Hofn, Iceland
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 07, 2016, 03:57:03 am
We were in Iceland for 12 nights. It was totally cloudy skies on 11 of those nights >:( 2 days before we left Iceland, while at Hofn, we had a clear nite till midnite or so. The show started about 45 min after sunset and lasted about 90 minutes. Non stop action. Kp index that nite was a 4. Felt blessed. Here are 3 images from the show all shot from the comfort of my room.

I'm extremely jealous. Not only did you see far better aurora than I did, you didn't even end the viewing with numbed fingers and toes.

Jeremy