Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: KMRennie on April 03, 2016, 02:16:37 pm

Title: A 3hr walk above Ullswater
Post by: KMRennie on April 03, 2016, 02:16:37 pm
After a small fall of snow I got up well before dawn last Thursday (31st March)and drove down to Ullswater and walked from Aira Force to Yew Tree Crag. Unfortunately most of the snow had gone from the lower fells. I have used daylight balance on all shots to allow easier comparison. The first shot was taken before sunrise and the last just before the sky clouded up and the good light went. Despite the time taken the walk was only 1.5 miles one way with only a 700ft climb I did take 180 shots. I hope you like the images and would welcome any comments.
Ken
Title: Re: A 3hr walk above Ullswater
Post by: HCS on April 03, 2016, 02:49:13 pm
Really very nice! I like #4 best of all, the boat spices up the image.

In the 1st three, did you use a ND grad, physical or software? There is quite a visible line across the image, especially in #1 and #2, but also #3 it's visible.

It doesn't work so well for me in the 1st two.
Title: Re: A 3hr walk above Ullswater
Post by: sdwilsonsct on April 03, 2016, 03:17:44 pm
Three highly productive hours.
Title: Re: A 3hr walk above Ullswater
Post by: Chairman Bill on April 03, 2016, 03:47:25 pm
Some great shots there
Title: Re: A 3hr walk above Ullswater
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 03, 2016, 06:04:26 pm
Some great shots there
+1.
Title: Re: A 3hr walk above Ullswater
Post by: luxborealis on April 03, 2016, 09:46:16 pm
#2 & #4 are spectacular! Really gorgeous, sumptuous images. Congratulations on a fine morning!!
Title: Re: A 3hr walk above Ullswater
Post by: MattBurt on April 04, 2016, 01:04:02 am
Yes, 2 and 4 for me as well. Nice work!
Title: Re: A 3hr walk above Ullswater
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 04, 2016, 03:20:42 am
I think #4 is by far the best. The boat and its wake give it extra life.

Jeremy
Title: Re: A 3hr walk above Ullswater
Post by: thierrylegros396 on April 04, 2016, 03:29:18 am
I think #4 is by far the best. The boat and its wake give it extra life.

Jeremy

+1

Thierry
Title: Re: A 3hr walk above Ullswater
Post by: stamper on April 04, 2016, 03:57:05 am
I think #4 is by far the best. The boat and its wake give it extra life.

Jeremy

Agreed.
Title: Re: A 3hr walk above Ullswater
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on April 04, 2016, 04:04:47 am
Indeed #4 is very nice. I also like #1, the feel of cold is grasping.
Title: Re: A 3hr walk above Ullswater
Post by: KMRennie on April 04, 2016, 07:18:38 am
Thank you all for the kind comments. It was a spectacular morning with birdsong and a nice chill in the air. The hoped for spectacular sunrise did not happen but I tried to make the most of it. Hans I was a little slapdashed in applying a software ND in #1 and used a real soft 2 stop grad in #2 and #3 but can't find a visible line in the original 36MB files. Their was a hazy cloud hanging over the lake which makes the thumbnails look odd. On #4 I used a polarizer and I applied a software grad to the sky but have managed to make the sky look darker than the reflection which is a no-no for me. I am reposting #1 and #4 with "improvements". As the boat " The Raven" passed below the 700ft crag I was standing on I shot down on it and would value any comments on this shot called "sailing into the storm". I think that I will concentrate on other areas until next winter unless we get a late heavy snowfall. I do wonder how people visit countries for a few days and manage to get good images as I am still looking at what is wrong with my compositions after seven visits including three predawn trips  to a tiny strip only 3 miles long by 1/2 mile wide.
Ken
Title: Re: A 3hr walk above Ullswater
Post by: Chris Calohan on April 04, 2016, 09:40:17 am
I truly love the last one in this series
Title: Re: A 3hr walk above Ullswater
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 04, 2016, 02:23:19 pm
I truly love the last one in this series
+1.
Title: Re: A 3hr walk above Ullswater
Post by: KBStudio on April 05, 2016, 05:13:40 pm
I too like the last shot.  Quite an image!!!
Title: Re: A 3hr walk above Ullswater
Post by: KMRennie on April 06, 2016, 11:41:46 am
Another couple of images. I have recently started to use Lightroom. However for these shots I have gone back to photoshop as I have more control especially when it comes to soft proofing. I will need to watch the LuLa videos as for most images lightroom seems very quick.
I wish I had caught the boat just as it went into the bright patch but still like it. The dawn shot prints very nicely and I suspect that the mono toned bioat will as well. All comments welcome. Ken
Title: Re: A 3hr walk above Ullswater
Post by: MattBurt on April 06, 2016, 12:20:16 pm
Lovely. Lots of great atmosphere in that first one. Really nice work.