Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: maddogmurph on February 24, 2016, 10:07:13 pm

Title: Scott's Paradise
Post by: maddogmurph on February 24, 2016, 10:07:13 pm
Sick of looking at this one... I'm just going to post it as is here and let you guys pull out the hatchet.
Title: Re: Scott's Paradise
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on February 25, 2016, 04:00:38 am
I like the light and composition. Especially because there is some light on the rocks in the foreground, which helps to lift it a lot and adds interest in that area of the image.
Title: Re: Scott's Paradise
Post by: francois on February 25, 2016, 05:38:24 am
Wonderful light and sky. Colors are luxurious and the reflected light on the rocks feeds the eyes with details/textures.
What a beauty!
Title: Re: Scott's Paradise
Post by: stamper on February 25, 2016, 06:45:26 am
You should print it...and hang it. The above praise is justified!
Title: Re: Scott's Paradise
Post by: Bob_B on February 25, 2016, 09:09:52 am
+1. The colors and textures drew my eye into the photo and kept it there.
Title: Re: Scott's Paradise
Post by: sdwilsonsct on February 25, 2016, 11:05:39 am
I find the back and forth composition very engaging. Good composition, fine processing.
Title: Re: Scott's Paradise
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 25, 2016, 01:09:11 pm
Sick of looking at this one...

Was that a humblebrag?  ;)
Title: Re: Scott's Paradise
Post by: maddogmurph on February 25, 2016, 03:39:39 pm
Was that a humblebrag?  ;)
Lol @ humblebrag.  I don't know I just posted it. But I keep looking at it and feeling like something is off or missing.
Title: Re: Scott's Paradise
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 25, 2016, 04:38:15 pm
Lol @ humblebrag.  I don't know I just posted it. But I keep looking at it and feeling like something is off or missing.
It sounds to me as if you are just being apologetically critical. Or is it critically apologetic?

I rather like the image.
Title: Re: Scott's Paradise
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 25, 2016, 05:04:44 pm
Lol @ humblebrag.  I don't know I just posted it. But I keep looking at it and feeling like something is off or missing.

It is a photo that most of us here, myself included, would be proud to call our own. Great nature, very competent processing, good composition. Hence, definitely a humblebrag ;)
Title: Re: Scott's Paradise
Post by: James Clark on February 25, 2016, 05:36:45 pm
I really like the "S" curve of the water through the composition :)
Title: Re: Scott's Paradise
Post by: MattBurt on February 25, 2016, 05:52:51 pm
If I'm trying to find something to criticize, I'd say maybe the composition is a little crowded/cramped. But I still enjoy the image very much. Maybe that slight crowding is what you are sensing is off? Beautiful image regardless!
Title: Re: Scott's Paradise
Post by: prairiewing on February 25, 2016, 07:40:19 pm
Beautiful, it's the sidelighting  on the foreground rocks that does it for me.
Title: Re: Scott's Paradise
Post by: Jens Peermann on February 25, 2016, 09:44:43 pm
Great light, fantastic meteorologic condition and expert processing. A joy to look at.
Title: Re: Scott's Paradise
Post by: John Koerner on February 26, 2016, 08:50:21 am
Sick of looking at this one... I'm just going to post it as is here and let you guys pull out the hatchet.

Was that a humblebrag?  ;)

Lol @ humblebrag.  I don't know I just posted it. But I keep looking at it and feeling like something is off or missing.

lol, well, aside from the fact it is a gorgeous image, I think the only nitpick anyone could have would be all of the rocks are horizontally-shaped, and the image itself is vertically-composed.

It's almost like looking at a majestic vision to behold, through a keyhole, where the eye cries for a horizontal view.
Title: Re: Scott's Paradise
Post by: brandtb on February 26, 2016, 10:02:38 am
My first thought was as well...
Quote
all of the rocks are horizontally-shaped, and the image itself is vertically-composed
. The vertical composition isn't working with your subject(s). As well the shadows in the middle ground rocks are "pulled up" too much...looks artificial.
Title: Re: Scott's Paradise
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 26, 2016, 12:27:44 pm
My first thought was as well.... The vertical composition isn't working with your subject(s). As well the shadows in the middle ground rocks are "pulled up" too much...looks artificial.

Humblebrag + sour grapes = ?  ;)
Title: Re: Scott's Paradise
Post by: sierraman on February 26, 2016, 12:45:31 pm
Yet the vertical part of the rocks are truly vertical.  :)
Title: Re: Scott's Paradise
Post by: maddogmurph on February 26, 2016, 02:14:04 pm
My first thought was as well.... The vertical composition isn't working with your subject(s). As well the shadows in the middle ground rocks are "pulled up" too much...looks artificial.
Astute brandtb, I appreciate this valuable feedback and agree with you. That's why I feel it's still just slightly off. I'll have to revisit this with that in mind.  I have a horizontal composition, well quite a few, and will be processing some of these, part of the problem with the horizontal comp here is that it introduces the sun into the frame and I don't believe I have solid brackets.
Title: Re: Scott's Paradise
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 26, 2016, 02:34:14 pm
Just remember that vertical compositions make magazine covers, and this one is worthy of it. There is nothing wrong with this one. It provides for a more intimate view of the scene, rather than a grander view, yet cliched, horizontal.