Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: afterimages on January 07, 2016, 09:54:13 am
-
Has someone found a generalization to use in selecting which tray to use for various paper? The Epson manual shows all non-matte (I think) paper going in the Sheet Feeder, and mattes in the Manual (for Epson's papers). Why?
The only reference to thickness is 1.2-1.5mm for 'thick media' going into the Manual tray. Carson's Platine is around .4mm. Although my instinct is to put the Platine thru the Manual, has anyone tried putting it thru the Sheet Feeder? I'm to cheap to risk.
At any rate, since thickness does not seem to be the determining factor, what is? Surface type, stiffness?
rick
-
Main factors are weight and thickness. Papers thicker, heavier, stiffer than Premium Luster are probably best fed through the front feeder. Take guidance from page 42 of the manual on the papers to load through the front feed tray (for so-called "Fine Art" papers).
-
almost all matte (except UPPM) or FineArt papers go through the front, also thicker other media (including lustre media).
Pretty much all gloss/lustre/semi can go through the sheet feeder (unless it's really heavy/thick)
-
almost all matte (except UPPM) or FineArt papers go through the front, also thicker other media (including lustre media).
Pretty much all gloss/lustre/semi can go through the sheet feeder (unless it's really heavy/thick)
Regardless of what "can go" through the sheet feeder - not doubting you, but I am reliably advised it is best to follow the recommendations on page 42 of the manual.
-
Regardless of what "can go" through the sheet feeder - not doubting you, but I am reliably advised it is best to follow the recommendations on page 42 of the manual.
How does this apply if you are using roll paper?
Mark
-
How does this apply if you are using roll paper?
Mark
It doesn't. See pages 57/58 of the manual (downloadable from the Epson website).
-
It doesn't. See pages 57/58 of the manual (downloadable from the Epson website).
I checked that section of the manual and it doesn't say anything about what papers can be used. I would tentatively assume that Epson roll papers can be used but that doesn't say what other papers can be used in the rear feeder.
-
Pages 44 to 63 of the manual I downloaded are very clear about which Epson papers are supposed to go into which paper feed. In summary - the sheet feeder (on top) is for lighter papers, the front manual feed tray is for Fine Art papers, heavier papers and board, and the rear feed is for roll paper. The details are in the manual.
-
Pages 44 to 63 of the manual I downloaded are very clear about which Epson papers are supposed to go into which paper feed. In summary - the sheet feeder (on top) is for lighter papers, the front manual feed tray is for Fine Art papers, heavier papers and board, and the rear feed is for roll paper. The details are in the manual.
I am still having trouble with this. I am coming from printing on an Epson 2200, which is a much simpler printer. I attempted to print on Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique paper. Based on the thickness quidelines in the printer manual I inserted the 8.5" X 11" sheet in the front feeder. The paper loaded. I selected Premium Luster as the paper type, per the instructions from Canson. When I clicked print in Lightroom, however, I got a message from the printer that seemed to be saying that I should load the sheet in the sheet feeder since it was a Premium Luster paper. I didn't do so, as I wasn't sure how this would work as the paper seems much stiffer than Premium Luster paper and, therefore, I wasn't sure how it would feed.
Thanks for any advice on this.
Mark
-
when you select the paper size in the driver, there is usually an additional menu level down that lets you specify the input tray. It usually defaults to the sheet feeder, not the front.
You can load some fairly heavy papers via the sheet feeder (normally, for me, that would be 310 Baryta on a 3880) you have to analyze the thickness and see what works best. You can either way on a number of papers. I do not bother w/ the rear sheet feeder for the Canson 310 Baryta
-
I've received very clear technical advice from Epson to use the Front Fine Art feed for papers in 300+ micron thickness range, which would include papers such Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, Canson BP, Canson Platine etc. When you select the paper size, you need to also specify this feed source and you will not then get an error message. If the setting on the printer LCD says Premium Luster, that's fine. What you enter in the driver settings from your computer is determinative.
-
Mark, is that a P series specific recommendation from Epson or does it go back to the 38xx ?
What did they actually say?
-
The context was a discussion about loading the P800.
-
I've received very clear technical advice from Epson to use the Front Fine Art feed for papers in 300+ micron thickness range, which would include papers such Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, Canson BP, Canson Platine etc. When you select the paper size, you need to also specify this feed source and you will not then get an error message. If the setting on the printer LCD says Premium Luster, that's fine. What you enter in the driver settings from your computer is determinative.
Mark,
Thanks for a definitive answer to this question. Much appreciated.
Rand
-
You are welcome. Glad to have been helpful.
-
when you select the paper size in the driver, there is usually an additional menu level down that lets you specify the input tray. It usually defaults to the sheet feeder, not the front.
You can load some fairly heavy papers via the sheet feeder (normally, for me, that would be 310 Baryta on a 3880) you have to analyze the thickness and see what works best. You can either way on a number of papers. I do not bother w/ the rear sheet feeder for the Canson 310 Baryta
Thank you. Selecting the input tray was the "missing link." Once I selected the front feeder with fine art paper everything went well. I greatly appreciate the help you and Mark have provided.
Mark
-
Good to hear you found the missing piece of the puzzle :)
Yea, between that, the sheet feed 'limitation' on FA papers, and the Airprint driver cockup, Epson doesn't make it any easier.
I cannot tell you how many people have asked 'why are all the Fine Art papers greyed out?'.
Really, who is using Airprint on a 3880?
-
This may be partly OS related - how people get hooked into the Airprint driver and don't see there is a real one they could have chosen. Happened to me too. Coordination between drivers and operating systems is by now an old issue, but not fully resolved, and perhaps more cumbersome with OSX than Windows in this case. And you'll be happy to know this is not confined to Epson printers. For both Canon and Epson readers buying these machines should watch out for this almost first thing - to install the complete version of the driver. Then all the papers, feed options and colour management controls magically become accessible! :-)
-
You're right. It might be as simple as a sorted (default) vs. enumerated list and Airprint comes first.
I also think most people simply dont expect there to be a driver choice, just 1 so 'that must be it'
-
Good to hear you found the missing piece of the puzzle :)
Yea, between that, the sheet feed 'limitation' on FA papers, and the Airprint driver cockup, Epson doesn't make it any easier.
I cannot tell you how many people have asked 'why are all the Fine Art papers greyed out?'.
Really, who is using Airprint on a 3880?
I never had any issue with the drivers. I connected the printer to my USB cable and everything went fine on the install from there. My issue is just the learning curve of a new printer that has features and complexity my previous printer didn't have. It probably would be much more familiar to me if I was coming from a 3800/3880 printer.
Mark
-
I never had any issue with the drivers. I connected the printer to my USB cable and everything went fine on the install from there.
Just to be clear, the "best practices" approach is to hardwire the computer to printer connection for the first install (initial install) of any printer. After that initial install it's easier to add additional connection methods. But, don't use "AirPrint" as the first install method...I knew enough not to do that. Mark got sucked into loading the AirPrint driver and then got screwed up...till I told him (if it hurts, don't do that!!!)
-
Just to be clear, the "best practices" approach is to hardwire the computer to printer connection for the first install (initial install) of any printer. After that initial install it's easier to add additional connection methods. But, don't use "AirPrint" as the first install method...I knew enough not to do that. Mark got sucked into loading the AirPrint driver and then got screwed up...till I told him (if it hurts, don't do that!!!)
Now, now Jeff, if I'm the MARK your talkin' about I had all that cleared-up on the P800 last June. Then in Indy I got screwed up again this time on the Pro-1000 because unexpectedly Canon's install routine pulled the same shenanigan - almost like those guys conspire in mischief, just for the conversation and publicity it generates. :-)
-
I downloaded the correct driver, and BOTH get downloaded. You just have to use the + in the printers menu and add them and name them correctly. But both are there. By default the airprint driver is active....
-
....... By default the airprint driver is active....
Exactly, and that is what's so ill-conceived. The default should be the full driver on a professional printer.
-
It's even more confusing if you have more than one Epson printer known to a Mac. The OS then defaults to the last used printer. That's nasty when you thought you were printing an email on your Epson Workforce printer and it goes to your P800. >:(
-
Ron, that is selectable in the Printer Pref Pane. Either set a default or default to last used.
-
You can change that default.
-
Thanks, Howard and Mark. That was a big DOH! on my part. I just checked and the default was set to my Workforce 630. I probably did that after that time I wasted a sheet on the P800.
-
OK, I will add my .02 worth. I had a 3800, and now have a P800.
I have used the front feed for some of them, but have found that they all feed through the top feed OK, IF you set the thickness to 4 and the platen to Wide. Been doing it for 3-4 years without a problem. I constantly use Canson Photographique, Ilford Gold Fiber, Hamn Photo Silk Baryta and feed it through the top feeder.
The 'straight path' feed is troublesome on these papers. However, when I print fine art matte stuff, I do use it.
bob snow
-
OK, I will add my .02 worth. I had a 3800, and now have a P800.
I have used the front feed for some of them, but have found that they all feed through the top feed OK, IF you set the thickness to 4 and the platen to Wide. Been doing it for 3-4 years without a problem. I constantly use Canson Photographique, Ilford Gold Fiber, Hamn Photo Silk Baryta and feed it through the top feeder.
The 'straight path' feed is troublesome on these papers. However, when I print fine art matte stuff, I do use it.
bob snow
Yes, and it's worth about that.
If a machine has been designed for use in the specified ways, it may work in other ways too, but you do - not maybe - you do - run a risk that over the longer term the printer may not like you for it. Furthermore, when you need to force the platen gap and the paper thickness because you are using the wrong feed, there is also a possibility that apparent resolution could be modestly compromised. I agree that the front feeder can be a bit finicky for placing some of those papers just right, but with a bit of experience it becomes pretty seamless.