Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: James Clark on January 03, 2016, 02:54:54 pm

Title: Half Moon Over the Grand Canyon
Post by: James Clark on January 03, 2016, 02:54:54 pm
Nothing complex - just a simple old-school B&W landscape, but I like the juxtaposition of the complex canyon shadows and textures against the empty sky, with just the moon breaking up the top half of the frame. 

Title: Re: Half Moon Over the Grand Canyon
Post by: FrameMaker on January 03, 2016, 04:34:44 pm
I think your photo is very grand.  If there's one thing I might have changed, I would have reframed the image so that the moon was a bit more to the right above the mesa; but really this is a great composition and exposure just the way it is.
Title: Re: Half Moon Over the Grand Canyon
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 04, 2016, 05:29:43 am
Very serene image, well done.
Title: Re: Half Moon Over the Grand Canyon
Post by: stamper on January 04, 2016, 10:26:09 am
A very fine image and the processing is spot on. Thanks for posting.
Title: Re: Half Moon Over the Grand Canyon
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 04, 2016, 10:31:54 pm
A very fine image and the processing is spot on. Thanks for posting.
+1.
Title: Re: Half Moon Over the Grand Canyon
Post by: sdwilsonsct on January 04, 2016, 10:33:18 pm
I like how the line leads up to the moon. Good seeing.
Title: Re: Half Moon Over the Grand Canyon
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 05, 2016, 03:49:50 am
I like the image and the framing very much; I think the toning is rather heavy-handed, though.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Half Moon Over the Grand Canyon
Post by: francois on January 05, 2016, 06:45:40 am
Bravo, I cannot say more, this is a wonderful photo!
Title: Re: Half Moon Over the Grand Canyon
Post by: James Clark on January 05, 2016, 06:52:48 am
Thanks for all the kind words, and I appreciate the different viewpoints on the processing as well :)   IMO it's actually a pretty light toning treatment, but to each his (or her) own!
Title: Re: Half Moon Over the Grand Canyon
Post by: HSakols on January 05, 2016, 08:31:45 am
I like the square.  I used to shoot 6x6 and rarely cropped them. 
Title: Re: Half Moon Over the Grand Canyon
Post by: wnichols on January 05, 2016, 02:21:23 pm
Love the tone in this - great image you created
Title: Re: Half Moon Over the Grand Canyon
Post by: mseawell on January 05, 2016, 03:43:43 pm
Gorgeous image and love the PP in mono.  ;D
Title: Re: Half Moon Over the Grand Canyon
Post by: James Clark on January 05, 2016, 09:44:02 pm
I like the square.  I used to shoot 6x6 and rarely cropped them.

I love square crops.  I find the format so easy to (un)balance compared to what's become the "standard" aspect ratio today.