Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Patricia Sheley on December 06, 2015, 09:00:00 pm

Title: Re: Michael R. in Ethiopia
Post by: Patricia Sheley on December 06, 2015, 09:00:00 pm
...can almost taste the Stone churches by way of Michael's experience there.
There is also the stunning chemistry of Michael, his eye and the decision last minute to take along the Sigma Art 24-35mm f2. As per Goethe all theory may be grey, but by these first images, in each other's care there is something of the transformational...Alive! Was immediately captivated by the images before reading the back story.
Eagerly anticipating the future arrivals. Huge thanks for sharing Michael!
Title: Re: Michael R. in Ethiopia
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 06, 2015, 09:35:20 pm
Michael shows once again that when he travels, he looks and really sees.
Beautiful so far, as expected.
Title: Re: Michael R. in Ethiopia
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on December 06, 2015, 10:15:16 pm
I have been following - and enjoying - the diary. The image of St George Church, in particular, is outstanding.
Title: Re: Michael R. in Ethiopia
Post by: adias on December 09, 2015, 05:48:58 pm
What happened to the Diary posting? There have been no updates for several days? All is well I hope.
Title: Re: Michael R. in Ethiopia
Post by: Kevin Raber on December 09, 2015, 06:32:02 pm
Michael is deep in the desert as we mentioned in What's New.  I am anxious to see what he comes out with.  I know he is really roughing it on this trip.  He will have some stories to tell.
Title: Re: Michael R. in Ethiopia
Post by: Patricia Sheley on December 09, 2015, 06:36:48 pm
...camping in [on] the desert and [hoped for] hike to the top of active volcano/spending the night...

Reading the update today, the unspoken was made material. The undertaking itself seems one of affirmation and thanksgiving for presence on the curve of earth. As I read of the loss of Douglas Tompkins on Tuesday of this week could not help but think how disparate the mankind with which we share this atmosphere, and Michael touches on this at a water delivery site.

Reminded powerfully the insignificance of my individual existence. 
Title: Re: Michael R. in Ethiopia
Post by: Patricia Sheley on December 11, 2015, 11:51:36 am
Michael's update does not disappoint!
Title: Re: Michael R. in Ethiopia
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on December 11, 2015, 12:02:46 pm
Michael's update does not disappoint!

Indeed... but it also tells a tale on human frailty in face of the elements. Even when one (thinks he) is fully prepared... succumbing to heat plus intestinal troubles (both of which lead to quick dehydration) is a real danger in these climates.

When I was living in Oman I often went to the desert (both sand type and rocky type), where the temperatures would reach 45 and 50 centigrade. It is not easy... and if one's 4WD gets stuck, it can be very quickly exhausting the effort of digging it up... a friend of mine once had heat stroke and had to be airlifted by helicopter to the nearest hospital. And preventing a heat stroke is actually not very difficult.

On a positive note, I an looking forward to MR pics!
Title: Re: Michael R. in Ethiopia
Post by: Patricia Sheley on December 11, 2015, 12:13:33 pm
real danger in these climates. [quote Paolo]

...yes Paulo, that was the undercurrent I intended, without quite willing to give voice when saying "unspoken". The waters of Lake Carrera in Chile taking Doug Tompkins drove that home powerfully to me earlier in the week, but could not voice that here until we heard from Michael.
Title: Re: Michael R. in Ethiopia
Post by: DaveCurtis on December 11, 2015, 09:22:19 pm
You weren't tempted to go Kevin ?
Title: Re: Michael R. in Ethiopia
Post by: Kevin Raber on December 11, 2015, 10:31:55 pm
Dave I was tempted, but I have a few trips of my own coming up.  I doubt that I will be facing such harsh conditions though.  I don't know how Michael does it.  I had a good talk with him today and he is very excited about the images he is coming home with. 
Title: Re: Michael R. in Ethiopia
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 11, 2015, 10:45:41 pm
He should be excited, given the sample we've already seen.
Title: Re: Michael R. in Ethiopia
Post by: baudolino on December 12, 2015, 01:39:47 am
Great trip and nice images. I would just suggest not relying too much on the spellchecker when you type - way too many typos (seen vs. soon, Eretria vs. Eritrea, Adis Abba vs. Addis Ababa, ...). Sorry for nitpicking but I think your otherwise beautiful record of the trip deserves perfection also in spelling. Regards, Martin
Title: Re: Michael R. in Ethiopia
Post by: Kevin Raber on December 12, 2015, 07:02:53 am
Martin,  Michael usually catches up on fixing spelling.  He deserves a break.  He got back to a hotel in a third world country with barely and internet connection and still feeling like crap his first thought was the readers and sharing the trip with them.  Frankly, I don't know how he doe sit.
Title: Re: Michael R. in Ethiopia
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 12, 2015, 09:12:20 am
Frankly, I don't know how he doe sit.
Spell checker would be happy with that one.   :D

I can certainly forgive Michael a few typos under the circumstances. This is one trip that I'm happy to enjoy the fruits of his suffering without wishing I were along for the trip.

Eric
Title: Re: Michael R. in Ethiopia
Post by: Kevin Raber on December 12, 2015, 09:47:11 am
Eric, it was bit of irony poking fun at spelling.  Oh, well so much for humor before morning coffee.
Title: Re: Michael R. in Ethiopia
Post by: Christopher Sanderson on December 12, 2015, 09:50:45 am
...I would just suggest not relying too much on the spellchecker when you type - way too many typos... the trip deserves perfection also in spelling...
I have corrected a few errors - PM me should you find more  ::)
Title: Re: Michael R. in Ethiopia
Post by: Jeff Griffin on December 12, 2015, 12:24:58 pm
Concerned about spelling ?

After reading the latest update from Michael I would be more concerned that everyone on the trip is OK and feeling better / recovered from the heat etc. and all get home safely and OK without delays.
Title: Re: Michael R. in Ethiopia
Post by: SteveB on December 12, 2015, 01:55:25 pm
Perfection in spelling ... Mr Baudalino ... when Michael is writing and posting from a crap 3rd world hotel with limited time on his hands.  Good grief man, I thought it was a great read, wonderful photography, and informative to boot.  Who gives a rip about a few typpos.  Sorry my first post has to be a rant! 
Title: Re: Michael R. in Ethiopia
Post by: DanLehman on December 15, 2015, 08:32:51 pm
Perfection in spelling ...
Not to pile on quibbles but just to note a typo, for article tweaking:
In noting comparing use w/Canon of this range,
I think that "Sony A 100-400m" gained the Canon's
low end, and this should be "70-400" as given just
above this use.

The article & images have particular worth to me,
who has kin closely associated with that country
--have thus forwarded the URLink ASAP, thanks !
(And in fact I had Ethiopian cuisine (feast!) for T-day.)

 :)
Title: Re: Michael R. in Ethiopia
Post by: kencameron on December 17, 2015, 05:07:10 am
Perfection in spelling ... Mr Baudalino ... when Michael is writing and posting from a crap 3rd world hotel with limited time on his hands.  Good grief man, I thought it was a great read, wonderful photography, and informative to boot.  Who gives a rip about a few typpos.  Sorry my first post has to be a rant!
That's all entirely true - but. Spelling errors are some kind of distraction to everyone and a big distraction to a few. Michael's standards are high. I think he would want mistakes to be identified and removed. Kind of like we would all want to be told if a zip was open or a line of buttons undone. Chris (and others) does/do him a friendly service in looking out for anything amiss in his posts.