Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: armand on October 23, 2015, 11:07:06 pm

Title: Afternoon
Post by: armand on October 23, 2015, 11:07:06 pm
this afternoon in the park, small experiments
Title: Re: Afternoon
Post by: Tony Jay on October 24, 2015, 05:31:30 am
Every image has merit Armand but the one that really strikes me is the semi-abstract of the leaves.
The colours and texture just really appeal!

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Afternoon
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on October 24, 2015, 08:34:00 am
I like them all, with a strong preference for there first and there third because of the tension between the dynamicyty of the composition/format and the stillness of the subject (that conveys very well the spirit of the autumn, when the life of summer start to fade into the sleep of the winter)
Title: Re: Afternoon
Post by: Rob C on October 24, 2015, 09:06:33 am
I like them all, with a strong preference for there first and there third because of the tension between the dynamicyty of the composition/format and the stillness of the subject (that conveys very well the spirit of the autumn, when the life of summer start to fade into the sleep of the winter)

Tell 'em that in Gstaad!

;-)

Rob
Title: Re: Afternoon
Post by: luxborealis on October 24, 2015, 11:32:29 am
Very good series, Armand.

One thing I notice is that they are all quite direct/straight-on in their approach. Try moving to introduce more diagonals to your compositions, just to change them up a bit and provide a bit more dynamic in the the composition.
Title: Re: Afternoon
Post by: armand on October 24, 2015, 11:57:44 am
Very good series, Armand.

One thing I notice is that they are all quite direct/straight-on in their approach. Try moving to introduce more diagonals to your compositions, just to change them up a bit and provide a bit more dynamic in the the composition.

Thank you.

I'm not sure how I could have introduced diagonals in the last 3.
For the first I considered shooting from the left but I couldn't control the background too well and I would have been a little farther from the subject.

Btw, as for the technical stuff the first 2 are focus stacked and for the last 2 I used a neutral density filter (6 stop).
The leaves were staged as the one that was there didn't cut it so I collected a bunch of similar leaves from around and arranged them in that formation.
Title: Re: Afternoon
Post by: armand on October 25, 2015, 03:09:59 pm
one more
Title: Re: Afternoon
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 25, 2015, 03:39:56 pm
Nice one. And nice diagonals, too.
Title: Re: Afternoon
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on October 26, 2015, 04:45:19 am
IMHO this last one is less successful than the others, probably because the bright zone in the upper part of the image keeps catching my eyes.
Title: Re: Afternoon
Post by: armand on October 26, 2015, 02:25:55 pm
IMHO this last one is less successful than the others, probably because the bright zone in the upper part of the image keeps catching my eyes.

You're probably right, that's why I didn't add it to the first group. Then with a little more highlight reduction I thought it might work after all.