Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: photo-vinc on April 01, 2006, 12:06:35 pm

Title: Is it Photography?
Post by: photo-vinc on April 01, 2006, 12:06:35 pm
Hello,

I did some experiments with a flatbed scanner and wrote an article here:

Article on flatbed scanner photography (http://www.photo-vinc.com/articles/Flatbedscanner/Flatbedscanner.html)

The question that rises again and again... "is it photography?"

Looking forwards to your reactions.

Vinc
Title: Is it Photography?
Post by: russell a on April 01, 2006, 02:40:18 pm
Sure.  Why not?  Isn't a scanning back on a vew camera just a variation of the same idea but with a different configuration of components?
Title: Is it Photography?
Post by: Tim Gray on April 01, 2006, 03:52:33 pm
I'm sure Better Light (makers of digital scanning backs) would be surprised to hear there is a debate as to whether or not their product makes photographs.
Title: Is it Photography?
Post by: wolfnowl on April 01, 2006, 04:12:20 pm
Photography - "drawing with light".  The rest is just specifics...

Mike.
Title: Is it Photography?
Post by: photo-vinc on April 03, 2006, 01:27:01 pm
Quote
I'm sure Better Light (makers of digital scanning backs) would be surprised to hear there is a debate as to whether or not their product makes photographs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61522\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

try this for an alternative to Better Light :-)
Title: Is it Photography?
Post by: erusan on April 03, 2006, 11:16:02 pm
Quote
The question that rises again and again... "is it photography?"
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think it will be hard for anyone to say anything but YES, be it with a very unpractical camera;-)

The samples on your page are quite nice, one practical use could be indeed food shots or product shots with a twist. For sure, taking that 'bed out in the streets and trying to be socially engaged will only get you socially isolated :-)

Lets see what my $10 flatbed can do...

Thank you for a fun read,
Title: Is it Photography?
Post by: JonasYip on April 18, 2006, 01:01:33 am
I clicked onto this thread expecting to see a bunch of "if it's not film, in a camera, it's not photography" type replies. I'm glad to see the "of course it's photography" replies!

I've done similar experiments with flatbed scanners as well. The way the light falls off on 3D objects can be very interesting....

j
Title: Is it Photography?
Post by: drew on April 18, 2006, 05:30:43 am
The classical definitions often refer to a lens or optical device for focussing light rays being required to make a photograph, which would of course make a Betterlight scan back a photographic device, but a flatbed scanner would be more ambiguous in this regard. The terms photogram and radiograph spring to mind as alternatives to photographic, the former perhaps being more applicable in this instance.
Title: Is it Photography?
Post by: ehoverkamp on May 19, 2006, 09:36:18 pm
Yes, scanners make photographs! An imaging device is an image device.  I have been scanning garden cuttings on scanners since 1997, preceeded by similarly imaging compositions using a color laser copier in the 80's, preceeded by xeroxing objects in the 70's.

When I began selling my note cards and prints at garden shows, I often had to answer the question, "What is a scanner"?  People advised me "Not to give away my secret". Now, I'm finding that this photographic method is widespread.  I even teach my middle school students about using the scanner for input of objects for their digital illustrations.

I have noticed that the emphasis and attention has moved from a closer look beyond the capacity of the naked eye using a cheap digital imaging device to the exploration of creative composition and digitally augmented images. I think that this direction of thought and experimentation is encouraging, even inspirational.  The question about how to market this new photographic work exists, however.  I feel that the value will emerge from what the work provokes from the viewer on a visceral level, technical considerations such as  composition, color, clarity of concept... the usual aspects that are valued in any form of photography.  As megamultipixel cameras become more commonplace, the flash of the closeup view and large file size will wane, bringing focus to the value of the piece for its classic appeal as a photograph. Hopefully, financial investment in this medium will follow...
Ellen Hoverkamp
My portfolio:
http://www.myneighborsgarden.com (http://www.myneighborsgarden.com)
Title: Is it Photography?
Post by: Lisa Nikodym on May 20, 2006, 11:29:32 am
I have a dim memory of seeing a photographic technique book somewhere with a chapter about scanner art, including work by a professional artist who makes collage-type scanner art.  So, yes, it's considered photography!

Lisa
Title: Is it Photography?
Post by: ehoverkamp on May 20, 2006, 05:42:54 pm
Perhaps you are referring to the work of Maggie Taylor?  She has her own book out this year.  Here's a link to her site...
http://www.maggietaylor.com (http://www.maggietaylor.com)

Ellen
Title: Is it Photography?
Post by: Lisa Nikodym on May 21, 2006, 11:18:04 am
Quote
Perhaps you are referring to the work of Maggie Taylor? She has her own book out this year. Here's a link to her site...

Interesting work, but the one I dimly remember looked quite different (more "found objects" like plant pieces and such placed on the scanner), so there must be more of them out there.  

Lisa
Title: Is it Photography?
Post by: Dan Sroka on May 22, 2006, 03:00:06 pm
Quote
I think it will be hard for anyone to say anything but YES, be it with a very unpractical camera;-)
...
For sure, taking that 'bed out in the streets and trying to be socially engaged will only get you socially isolated.


I wouldn't use my pinhole camera for bird photography either, but that doesn't make it less of a camera.
Title: Is it Photography?
Post by: benInMA on May 23, 2006, 03:06:37 pm
This would be the ultimate hack if someone was able to figure out how to shoehorn a $100 scanner + old laptop onto the back of an 8x10 view camera and get decent results...

Imagine how pissed off the camera companies would be!
Title: Is it Photography?
Post by: borzynd on May 24, 2006, 11:08:58 am
Quote
This would be the ultimate hack if someone was able to figure out how to shoehorn a $100 scanner + old laptop onto the back of an 8x10 view camera and get decent results...

Imagine how pissed off the camera companies would be!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66387\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]



Actually, it has already been done.  I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it.

Technically, it didn't look really hard.  Most of the work involved attaching the scanner to back of the camera in a reasonably secure manner and being able to calibrate the focus since the scanner wasn't on quite the same plane as the ground glass, but it did work and produce good images.

From a practical standpoint, I would much rather use film.  Too big, bulky, slow, and forget about field use, for the scanner setup.  Studio still lifes seemed to be the main application.  (not a comment on digital - I shoot 4x5 and digital heavily)  But it was really cool!