Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Diego Pigozzo on October 13, 2015, 11:03:48 am

Title: Foggy day
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on October 13, 2015, 11:03:48 am
Some shot from long time ago.
Title: Re: Foggy day
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 13, 2015, 12:37:05 pm
An excellent set. The first is my favorite.
Title: Re: Foggy day
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 13, 2015, 02:14:58 pm
I like them.

But - and I'm going to sound vaguely like Stamper here - I'd like to see some pure blacks.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Foggy day
Post by: Dmullins on October 14, 2015, 02:49:35 am
I think the first image has a lot of potential. I think it just needs more toning, darker blacks and whiter whites. I understand that you may just be afraid of losing the atmosphere if you do, but I don't think you would. I pulled the image into lightroom and did a slight adjustment that I think helps. The adjustment is the way I would do it, I understand if you are not interested, I would be happy to share it if you would like. 
Title: Re: Foggy day
Post by: stamper on October 14, 2015, 04:06:30 am
Not trying to be contrary but in this instance a pure black and a pure white isn't really necessary in this kind of image. However they look a little drab rather than moody. I find this kind of image difficult to process with respect to portraying impact.
Title: Re: Foggy day
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on October 14, 2015, 04:33:45 am
Thanks all for the comments. :)


I think the first image has a lot of potential. I think it just needs more toning, darker blacks and whiter whites. I understand that you may just be afraid of losing the atmosphere if you do, but I don't think you would. I pulled the image into lightroom and did a slight adjustment that I think helps. The adjustment is the way I would do it, I understand if you are not interested, I would be happy to share it if you would like.

I am very interesting in how you processed the image, both because I like to see how other people see my images and because if someone choose to spend his/her time it means the image has some value.

By the way, it will be interesting to see your processing both for itself and in relation to what you and the others think the images should be.
Title: Re: Foggy day
Post by: francois on October 14, 2015, 04:48:20 am
My vote goes to the first one and I like it as it is… But I would also be interested in other versions with different post-processing.
Title: Re: Foggy day
Post by: Dmullins on October 14, 2015, 04:55:46 am
I hope this version is well received  :)
Title: Re: Foggy day
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on October 14, 2015, 05:03:31 am
I hope this version is well received  :)

I like it (a lot, in fact), yet it give me a differente feeling from the original.
While the original give me a feeling of calm, this one look more "harsh", more "urgent": the birds looks like they are rushing somewhere, maybe fleeing, maybe attacking, and I perceive a sense of antagonism between the birds and the tree.


It's quite interesting how much an image can change with so little adjustment.

Title: Re: Foggy day
Post by: Dmullins on October 14, 2015, 05:13:15 am
"It's quite interesting how much an image can change with so little adjustment."

I agree 100%, in my opinion it is one of the great joys and difficulties of photography.
Title: Re: Foggy day
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on October 14, 2015, 07:44:37 am
"It's quite interesting how much an image can change with so little adjustment."

I agree 100%, in my opinion it is one of the great joys and difficulties of photography.

Well, everything in photography may be difficult and joyful if you enjoy it and do it the right way :D :D
Title: Re: Foggy day
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 14, 2015, 10:28:41 am
I much prefer the original processing, which is just the way I would do it.

I might let the darks go closer to black, but I would not raise the high values at all. To me, fog is gray, not white, and white kills the mood.
Title: Re: Foggy day
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 15, 2015, 03:57:30 am
I much prefer the original processing, which is just the way I would do it.

I might let the darks go closer to black, but I would not raise the high values at all. To me, fog is gray, not white, and white kills the mood.

I agree about the white in these images, though perhaps not always: I've seen white-outs in fog. But that's why I commented only on the blacks. I'd just like an anchor.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Foggy day
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on October 15, 2015, 05:36:08 am
I much prefer the original processing, which is just the way I would do it.
I might let the darks go closer to black, but I would not raise the high values at all. To me, fog is gray, not white, and white kills the mood.

I still prefer the original processig, too, but I think it's both because of the "expected mood" of this kind of image and the state of mind I was at the time.

If I was been somehow unquiet and/or felt threatened I would probably go for something like the Dmullins version.
Title: Re: Foggy day
Post by: BobDavid on October 15, 2015, 09:00:05 am
The first one--muted tonality and fog go together like peas and carrots.
Title: Re: Foggy day
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on October 15, 2015, 09:02:19 am
go together like peas and carrots.

Or like french fries and ketchup, for those with a less healty diet :D
Title: Re: Foggy day
Post by: armand on October 15, 2015, 10:20:45 am
First one is great, both processing versions work even as the mood changes between them.
Title: Re: Foggy day
Post by: luxborealis on October 18, 2015, 08:17:21 am
WOW! What a day. Beautiful photographs!