Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: DeanChriss on September 14, 2015, 08:51:04 pm

Title: Smoky Skies in Central Colorado and 4-Corners Area?
Post by: DeanChriss on September 14, 2015, 08:51:04 pm
I just wondered if anyone could share the the general conditions regarding smoke in central Colorado and 4-Corners areas due to fires raging in California and elsewhere. Many years ago I had a couple weeks in Utah ruined by white milky skies and haze from fires in northern CA and Oregon. Is it like that now? Any guess as to how many smoke and haze free days (if any) are typical in a given week?

Thanks.
Title: Re: Smoky Skies in Central Colorado and 4-Corners Area?
Post by: Isaac on September 15, 2015, 05:57:53 pm
For similar reasons I've been looking up air-quality information for Truckee-Tahoe.

The air-quality reports for Colorado (http://www.colorado.gov/airquality/air_quality.aspx) seem OK.

Air quality maps and forecast. (http://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.local_state) (Set state to Colorado, and click Go).

Title: Re: Smoky Skies in Central Colorado and 4-Corners Area?
Post by: DeanChriss on September 15, 2015, 09:29:35 pm
Thanks for the info.

I found http://www.esri.com/services/disaster-response/wildlandfire/latest-news-map (http://www.esri.com/services/disaster-response/wildlandfire/latest-news-map), but I don't think it's as helpful.
Title: Re: Smoky Skies in Central Colorado and 4-Corners Area?
Post by: Hayhill on September 16, 2015, 05:19:06 pm
Dean,
As  I write this I'm in a condo at 9600ft in Siverthorne, CO. On my scale of 0-100, the haze is not more than 15. I have seen it slightly better, but not much. FYI, the color is less than a week from peak here.
I will say that we drove into CO from the east on I-70 4 days ago and the haze was so bad around Denver that you could not see the mountains (I have never seen it like that), but no problem int the high country.
Title: Re: Smoky Skies in Central Colorado and 4-Corners Area?
Post by: John Hollenberg on September 16, 2015, 10:33:03 pm
Any suggestions for the best places to look for Fall Color in Colorado this year between Sept 25 and October 2?  We are planning to fly into Denver.  Info from those living in Colorado would be much appreciated.
Title: Re: Smoky Skies in Central Colorado and 4-Corners Area?
Post by: DeanChriss on September 17, 2015, 06:35:39 am
Dean,
As  I write this I'm in a condo at 9600ft in Siverthorne, CO. On my scale of 0-100, the haze is not more than 15. I have seen it slightly better, but not much. FYI, the color is less than a week from peak here.
I will say that we drove into CO from the east on I-70 4 days ago and the haze was so bad around Denver that you could not see the mountains (I have never seen it like that), but no problem int the high country.

That info is greatly appreciated. We always drive out and for reasons unknown often end up eating dinner on day #2 at a Chinese place called JJ's around Silverthorne/Dillon.