Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: OnlyNorth on September 04, 2015, 03:08:47 am

Title: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on September 04, 2015, 03:08:47 am
Three days before I saw at Euronews that  the Apollonia Arts Festival has begun.I remembered that I was there at the beginning of this summer.Apollonia is the Greek name of Sozopol,a Bulgarian Black See resort.The setlement is on a small peninsula at around 400km from Sofia and Bucharest. For a tourist the difference is that from Sofia it drives on a motorway and from Bucharest it drives on a single lane road.
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on September 07, 2015, 08:10:07 am
The sttlement appears to be from Bronze Age
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on September 07, 2015, 08:25:18 am
But the current town was founded by Greeks in 7th c.B.C.
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on September 09, 2015, 11:12:05 am
On this territory were more invader layers.Upon Thracians came Greeks then Romans,Byzantians,Bulgars,Byzantians again and finally Ottomans.The word "finally" is a polite way to hide what the despicable 20th c.and even 21st brought.
From Greek Age remained the ruins of a tower's gate and of a wall,which were reconstructed.
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on September 11, 2015, 06:38:28 am
Not all ruins were reconstructed this one,which is a Church from the early Christianity was only dug up.
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on September 13, 2015, 02:52:40 am
Before  to finish with the digging up of the past  I must to say that on the Isle of St.John(around 1500 acres),which is near Sozopol it was discovered the ruins of the Christian settlement and the relics of St.John the Baptist.They was moved in this church.  
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on September 18, 2015, 11:39:01 am
Today,as in many other places of the world,the native beauty of Sozopol is hard to be found.Sometimes it is hidden in a dip,like this church from 15th or 16th century
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on September 25, 2015, 05:55:14 am
This St.Mary church is an UNESCO heritage and shows the answer of Bulgarian priests at the Ottoman rule that the height of the churches to be smaller than an Ottoman rider on his horse.
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on October 03, 2015, 12:51:44 pm
Sometimes a survivor appears behind the ruins like this house from 15th century,covered with wood against salted winds. What game of the chance did that!
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on October 16, 2015, 05:46:22 am
Other times the commercial interests hide the picturesqueness of the street.
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on October 18, 2015, 03:51:56 am
What the natives of this place do-beside dealing with sea,sun and  sand- was a question for me.
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on October 23, 2015, 12:19:47 pm
They sell any,from hats against sun
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on October 30, 2015, 03:32:57 am
to fur coats against winter :)
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on November 25, 2015, 02:43:35 pm
From October 30 to November,around 30(I should say)what could I say I did.I was in the street  to know who are those who asked the ''departure'' of the PM.Before returning to Apollonia I show you what I saw. 
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on November 25, 2015, 02:48:52 pm
Of course there were and another kind of people like these
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on November 25, 2015, 02:53:53 pm
And the symbol of the gullibility
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on November 26, 2015, 05:46:12 am
Returning to Apollonia and at my question about activities of the natives,at least one of them tried to teach a dog... to drive :)
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on November 28, 2015, 03:00:43 pm
I do not know if those two are indigenous or not.That is less important,more important seems to be  to stay on that hot iron plate.




( :o My opinion is that the number of Lula visitors is smaller with 40-50 at this hour.I don't ask why :-*)
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on November 30, 2015, 02:44:27 pm
Another question is raising,this time about the tourists,what they do all day.
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on December 02, 2015, 12:34:02 pm
What they do?Simply,one side says come and the other says wait.
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on December 05, 2015, 04:03:41 am
Some could admire and                                              some could be admired :)
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on December 07, 2015, 06:26:06 am
but there were some who should have invited her on their boats  :)
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on December 09, 2015, 03:18:48 am
Leaving the joke behind,the quietness,still,characterizes Apollonia.The differeces between this 7000 years old town and St.Tropez,for exemple,are great and my point of view is favourable to Apollonia.
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on December 10, 2015, 01:35:51 pm
I should not want to be a wrong understanding.There are quiet and beautiful places there in St.Tropez.I posted an image with it because, for me, this place became well known after ''Le gendarme de Saint-Tropez'' a film with Louis de Funes.
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on December 12, 2015, 01:26:58 pm
Who wants to raise the eyes could see wonderful old things.
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on December 15, 2015, 02:04:59 pm
At the end of this digression it could say there is something relish for everyone in Saint-Tropez.
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on December 22, 2015, 04:21:14 am
For those who want to admire the shore from the sea, there are several small ships.
Title: Re: Apollonia
Post by: OnlyNorth on December 25, 2015, 02:48:18 pm
This was a superficial view about the life in former Apollonia.To deeply explore more time is needed.I did not see dedicated spaces for those small and closed communities.About night-life I can tell nothing because,for me,that kind of exploring asks a very good knowledge of the places,first,during the day.


PS:   Happy Christmas for those who believe and a Happy Day for those who don't.