Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: KMRennie on August 12, 2015, 09:49:25 am

Title: Hadrian's wall
Post by: KMRennie on August 12, 2015, 09:49:25 am
Been out scouting locations for watching the Perseid shower tonight, luckily the forecast is for clear skies and good visibility. Most of Hadrian's wall is a dark sky area. This is at Walltown Crags and is not a popular location for photographers. I have also attached a shot from my garden taken last night to make sure that I can focus in the dark, I was shocked that I can see what looks like a spiral galaxy. I think that I will try image stacking tonight. All comments welcome and any advice for post processing welcome.
Ken
Title: Re: Hadrian's wall
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 12, 2015, 10:58:35 am
Love the Hadrian's Wall photo!
Title: Re: Hadrian's wall
Post by: Bob_B on August 12, 2015, 01:43:53 pm
+1 Hadrian's wall photo, very special! Re: meteor photography -- This from another post from NancyP: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/nightscapes/#MeteorPhotography

BTW, I envy how much sky you see from your backyard (second photo). That's amazing from someone who lives near a major east coast US city.
Title: Re: Hadrian's wall
Post by: TomFrerichs on August 12, 2015, 02:33:18 pm
Lovely B&W work and great composition on the Hadrian's Wall shot...up to imperial standards, I'd say. :D
Title: Re: Hadrian's wall
Post by: KMRennie on August 12, 2015, 03:40:29 pm
Bob thanks for the link I will read it before I go out tonight. To be self critical about the monochrome.  I got the height and angle of taking correct to separate the lower right hand branch from the small darker depression but I can't delineate the upper right hand branch from the wall or the little rocky outcrop. They look very dissimilar in colour but unfortunately in tone they are the same so a bit more work needed in the b and w conversion. I also have been very heavy handed with a photoshop ND grad and have darkened the very top of the tree so a bit of subtlety needed. Another 2 shots from the same location very quickly converted on my laptop so the tones will be off. I will get back to them tomorrow.

Ken
Title: Re: Hadrian's wall
Post by: RSL on August 13, 2015, 11:20:36 am
Love the Hadrian's Wall photo!

+1. The tree makes the picture and the composition is right on the money.
Title: Re: Hadrian's wall
Post by: francois on August 14, 2015, 03:45:48 am
Bravo for the first one, it's a wonderful shot and PP is very well done.