Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: ralford on February 19, 2006, 07:30:56 pm

Title: Lenses and 10d submerged - suggestions?
Post by: ralford on February 19, 2006, 07:30:56 pm
Had a minor incident yesterday (see below) and would like suggestions on repair (if possible) for soaked lenses (Several IS including 500f4IS).  I presume the 10d is beyond hope.  I doubt the insurance will cover replacement cost of some $10K of gear...

Any suggestions on how to approach Canon for repairs would be immensly appreaciated.

Everyone is ok and when the day is done it's "just stuff"...

Rusty
(http://alfordweb.horsenhounds.com/images/RV-Finish.jpg)
Title: Lenses and 10d submerged - suggestions?
Post by: Graham Welland on February 19, 2006, 07:57:05 pm
Quote
Had a minor incident yesterday ...

Rusty
(http://alfordweb.horsenhounds.com/images/RV-Finish.jpg)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58566\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Minor incident? WOW! and I thought we Brit's were understated ....

I would imagine the camera is a write off but I'd definitely get the lenses to Canon service or a local Canon repair shop asap. If everything is clean but just wet then I'd expect that you've got more to lose if they dry out and corrode internally before being serviced.

Look on the bright side - at least it wasn't a sea water dunking!
Title: Lenses and 10d submerged - suggestions?
Post by: Sheldon N on February 19, 2006, 08:00:02 pm
I don't think there's much necessary to do right now. That doesn't look like salt water, so I'd just set everything out to dry for now and wipe off what moisture you can.

I'd also read your insurance policy to see what coverages you have. Unless there's a line item dollar limit for camera gear/electronics, or you're a professional photographer, there's a good chance that the insurance company just may be able to pay full replacement cost.

Glad everyone's ok!
Title: Lenses and 10d submerged - suggestions?
Post by: Hank on February 20, 2006, 12:48:48 pm
Even though it's not saltwater, I'd get your lenses to a service shop ASAP. That water looks like a good candidate for disolved and/or suspended organic matter, which can not only lay a murky film on glass when it dries but lead to eventual mold or decomp products.

I've dunked far too many lenses in my career, and anything short of distilled water is likely to affect internal optics even if you manage to get the lenses completely dry, which I doubt you can manage without help.

Now on to the topic of your NEXT insurance policy.....

Sorry for your mishap, but as you said, better to lose the stuff than a loved one.
Title: Lenses and 10d submerged - suggestions?
Post by: framah on February 20, 2006, 02:17:33 pm
Used to be that when you dunked your camera, you put it into a  ziplock bag or something of the sort while it was still wet and send it to the repair people wet.   The idea was to not let any oxygen get to the equipment.

 They have the tools to dry and clean it properly. If the lenses would work out that way, then why wouldn't the camera work that way also??  I'm sure the insurance company would much rather pay to have it cleaned and repaired than to replace it.

Just a thought.
Title: Lenses and 10d submerged - suggestions?
Post by: Hank on February 20, 2006, 05:03:09 pm
In my experience electronics in cameras are DOA.  I just noticed the fuel sheen on the puddle, so that will be doubly damning in all likelihood.  I haven't tried it, but I can't imagine that water, organic material and fuel will do much good for light meters and computer circuitry, much less digital sensors.  Call and ask the techs, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for the body.  The IS and AF circuitry in your lenses may also be affected.

Sorry.