Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 print issue  (Read 1185 times)

Dirbann

Epson 7900 print issue
« on: April 29, 2015, 08:28:32 pm »

I am in the sign business. I have bought three used Epson 7900's to print film positives and negatives. I am only interested in the Photo and Matte black channels. I will never print color. I immediately got one of the printers to work and was very happy. We use a Black dye ink specifically designed for the production of the film as well as a specially treated clear film. All was well until one day the print head started closing up. Nothing I could do would change that. No amount of cleaning including SSCL. This happened on both the Matte and Photo Black channels at the same time. I purchased PiezoFlush from Inkjet Mall along with the refillable cartridges. No Luck

Now here is what is weird. When I do a nozzle check on either the Matte or Photo Black and compare that to the other, both nozzle check patterns are identical. They are missing in the same areas, exactly. What are the odds that both the Photo Black nozzle pattern and the Matte Black would have identical missing patterns unless I don't understand the process which is very likely  :-)))  Maybe this is normal but am asking opinions. Also the patterns seem to be "broken" and "bent", please see attached photo.

Any thoughts would be great!!

FYI, I was able to get one of the other printers to work but I would sure like to get a backup because the third machine is for parts only.

cybis

• http://www.lucbusquin.com
Re: Epson 7900 print issue
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 09:33:38 pm »

Photo and Matte black use the same nozzles. That is why you cannot use both simultaneously and that is why you see the same clogs pattern in both.

There are numerous anecdotal evidences that SS cleaning can cause print head failure. Essentially the recommendation is to never use SS cleaning unless you have exhausted all other options.

Since you print with only one third party ink at the time, you may be able to load your inks in any other functioning ink channels and use a RIP (like quadtone RIP) to map you file to those ink channels.

Hopefully I understood your situation correctly.

Dirbann

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 01:24:50 pm »

Excellent, Thank You!

I have an email to Quad Tone RIP asking if this can be done. If so I can have three working machines!  YEA!!!

I will update when more info is available.

Farmer

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 10:40:03 pm »

Doing 1 or 2 SS cleans is fine if all other cleans and efforts have failed.  Just don't keep doing them regularly.
Phil Brown

jferrari

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 11:21:52 pm »

So, have you cleaned the head, wiper blade and flushing box?
Nothing changes until something changes.

Dirbann

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 07:08:42 am »

I have cleaned the flushing box and wiper blade but have not removed the head for any type of manual cleaning or soaking. I read doing so was not recommended, not so?

Dirbann

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 07:10:17 am »

Yes, that's my understanding. I am pursuing the possibility to remap the Black to a separate channel. Fingers crossed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up