Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Darkroom technique in Lightroom or PS  (Read 3724 times)

F2bthere

Darkroom technique in Lightroom or PS
« on: April 29, 2015, 07:54:30 pm »

I am trying to figure out the best way to replicate an old darkroom technique using Lightroom or Photoshop.

The technique is to make your B&W print as normal but reduce the exposure time by, say, 10%. Then you make a second exposure with a fine mesh or stretched stocking between the enlarger lens and the paper for the short second exposure.

This is similar in concept to a soft focus affect and provides a glow, but it is different from what you can achieve in camera.

Any idea how to achieve this? 

I would guess a blur layer and some blending mode. So far I haven't hit the right combination.  Or maybe there is an altogether different way to achieve this.

thill1111

Re: Darkroom technique in Lightroom or PS
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 09:16:41 pm »

Sounds kind of like the "Orton effect"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orton_(photography)

thill1111

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 09:18:30 pm »

If it is Orton effect you are looking for, here's what he has to say about it:  http://www.michaelortonphotography.com/ortoneffect.html

F2bthere

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 03:45:24 am »

Thank you for the quick reply!

The examples shown for the Orton effect seem to be after a watercolor look and I am trying for black and white images where the skin seems to glow from an inner radiance. But it sounds like the method might work. I'll try it. I was not making the blurred image overexposed in my attempts and this might be the key.

Any other ideas, I would love to hear them...

Jimbo57

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 10:47:16 am »

It really could not be simpler.

In PS make a dupicate layer of the original image.

Run over it with the blur tool (large soft brush)

Then select the soft light blend mode and adjust the opacity to suit.

You can vary the theme by adding slight hue and saturation adjustment layers.

Even better, if you use the Nik collection of plug-ins, try the  Glamour Glow filter. Again, add it as a layer and experiment with blend modes and opacity.

elliot_n

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 12:08:26 pm »

This is similar in concept to a soft focus affect and provides a glow, but it is different from what you can achieve in camera.

The difference is that the shadows are blurred rather than the highlights. I can't figure out how to do it in photoshop, but it must be simple.

smahn

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 12:36:09 pm »

The difference is that the shadows are blurred rather than the highlights. I can't figure out how to do it in photoshop, but it must be simple.

Try setting the blur layer to Lighten blend mode.

Or to take it one step further, here's how I'd do it:

Duplicate your layer, convert the dupe to a smart object.

Run Gaussian blur on it. With it being a SO you can readjust the blur to suit. Set this layer to Lighten blend mode.

Duplicate that layer and set the blend mode to Darken and decrease opacity to suit.

Play around adjusting the blur radius and opacity of each SO layer till you get something you like.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:43:22 pm by smahn »

elliot_n

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 12:55:38 pm »

A Field Blur layer, in Darken blend mode, with reduced opacity, is as close as I can get to the old darkroom effect. 

smahn

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 01:15:07 pm »

Sorry, I misread your post above mine. I was thinking you were asking for the highlights to glow more than the shadows. Yes, to glow the shadows Darken is your mode.

But in either, case separate layers of varied opacity and SOs to adjust blur radius will give max control.

SeanPerry

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 01:21:23 pm »

hi F2bthere ––

This was a challenge for me as well, I am a darkroom printer and love to "bleed the blacks"... Try duplicating a layer, blur it (Gaussian or other flavor) then bring the highlights back from underneath with the blend if's... Use the underlying layer sliders and split the white triangles.. try 64 to 255 to start.

It will leave the blur in the shadows and you can further adjust the taper with Darken Blend mode (or others) opacity, and even inverted channel masks on the blur layer.

Good luck + all best!

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 07:56:54 pm »

You might want to experiment with this easy method. In camera raw slide the clarity slider to the left (negative) until you start to see the effect you are looking for....you could also do the same thing selectively with the adjustment brush in camera raw.

Ann JS

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 08:23:12 pm »

Sean's idea works extremely well to remove noise in the darkest areas of high ISO night-time shots.

I have just made and saved his technique as an Action so that I can repeat this quickly in the future.

:)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 04:40:38 pm »

You might want to experiment with this easy method. In camera raw slide the clarity slider to the left (negative) until you start to see the effect you are looking for....you could also do the same thing selectively with the adjustment brush in camera raw.

If you haven't tried this, then you should. If you are working in LR, then using negative Clarity either globally or with one or multiple adjustments brushes would save you a trip to (and the pig-sized files of) PS.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

sniper

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 04:19:16 am »

There is a way of using diffuse glow on the black/darker tones, but having no sleep for several days and not having photoshop handy I'm stumped trying to remember it from memory.  I do have  an action I made that does it, I seem to remember inverting the image at some point but thats as far as my mind will go at moment.
Sorry.
Whan I've slept I'll pop over the studio and look at the action.
Regards Wayne

sniper

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 05:48:12 am »

Sorry for the delay in getting back but we've got someone in hospital with a heart attack so life a bit complicated right now.
Heres the setting I used for my dark difuse glow

Duplicate layer
invert
reset swatches (this is for the action)
Difuse glow
grain 6
glow amount 5
clear 13
invert

Obviously you can tweak the setting as needed. I don't make any claims on the idea, I got it from somewhere myself.
Regards Wayne

F2bthere

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 11:03:49 pm »

Thank you for the great responses!

Now I need to set aside enough time to try them all :).
Pages: [1]   Go Up