Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What app(s) to let me see my pics in the field with an iPad mini - rentna  (Read 1592 times)

brianrybolt

I am travelling in 1 ½ months to a shoot.  Besides my camera gear and tripod, I’m bringing my iPad mini and a HyperDrive ColorSpace UDMA II.  I want to be able to see the my shots on the iPad and share them with colleagues, check sharpness and possibly rate them.  I’m not interested in color balance, cropping and other editing. 

I am able to download my pics into my iPad using Apple Camera Connection Kit but it’s taking about 1 ½ minutes each which is much to slow considering I’ll be shooting between 300-500 shot per day. (I’m shooting with Fuji X-T1 & X-E2).

Are there any Apps that I can use to suit my needs as stated?  I haven’t been able to find any after trolling the web with the possibility that I’ve been looking in the wrong places.

Thanks for any/all suggestions,
Brian

bassman51

What camera do you have?  My m43 and Sony RX100 all have wifi and a decent iPad app which I find much easier and quicker to use than the Apple Connection Kit. 
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

brianrybolt

What camera do you have?  My m43 and Sony RX100 all have wifi and a decent iPad app which I find much easier and quicker to use than the Apple Connection Kit. 

I have two Fuji's as stated in my topic.  I will check out the apps.  I'll look into the wifi apps.
Thanks

bassman51

Oops, I should read more closely.  I shoot raw+JPEG, so I get a higher quality image transferred (they only copy JPEG) than the embedded preview.  Once on the pad, you have an embarrassment of editing options: Snapseed (gets most of my work), Filterstorm, Lightroom Mobile (if you're a CC user).

Good luck. 

dwswager

Oops, I should read more closely.  I shoot raw+JPEG, so I get a higher quality image transferred (they only copy JPEG) than the embedded preview.  Once on the pad, you have an embarrassment of editing options: Snapseed (gets most of my work), Filterstorm, Lightroom Mobile (if you're a CC user).

Good luck. 

Unless Lightroom Mobile has been upgraded recently, I would advise against it because it can't access the memory cards of cell phones or tablets.

bassman51

On my iPad, LR Mobile will load pictures from the Photo Roll.  So I can import using wifi, then edit with LR.  

The attached was shot with an E-M1, loaded via OI.Share, imported to a new LR Mobile Collection, then edited in LR and saved back to the Photo Roll.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 07:31:26 pm by bassman51 »

AFairley

The Fuji wifi apps are not well implemented, cumbersome to connect camera to iDevice, drop connections, and recently I can't get my X-E2 to connect at all to my iPad despite being pretty technically savvy. Also, transfer is slow and drains battery fast.  I would not rely on the Fuji apps.

Unfortunately Apple still does not provide an option to limit camera connector imports to jpeg only, so imports (I assume you are shooting raw+JPEG) with camera connector are slow as you have pointed out, and eat up iDevice memory.  I periodically look for 3rd party app jpeg only import solutions but have not yet found one.  It might be worth it to you to get an Android tablet that can read the camera SD card directly via card reader (if those work on Android).  If you are shooting JPEG only, I think camera connector is your best option for the iPad.

Another option for review might be a small HDMI monitor connected to the camera using camera playback - at the cost of more gear and expense.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 08:58:37 am by AFairley »
Pages: [1]   Go Up