Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lily  (Read 945 times)

armand

• Photos
lily
« on: April 28, 2015, 11:17:15 pm »

I just planted this in my garden.
It's a focus stack and I finally figured out how to manually adjust the layers to correct the errors (I'm a Photoshop novice)

Diego Pigozzo

Re: lily
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 06:21:25 am »

For my eyes on my monitor, the image is too saturated.
That aside, I like it very much.
When I grow up I want to be a photographer.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/diegopig/

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 01:07:51 pm »

It's a focus stack and I finally figured out how to manually adjust the layers to correct the errors (I'm a Photoshop novice)

The colours are bright but I like them. I wonder if you could desaturate and/or darken the blurred leaf in the upper left: it's rather distracting.

Jeremy

armand

• Photos
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 12:24:42 am »

I probably got carried away.

Here is another one from today.

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 09:30:40 am »

What technique are you using to adjust the layers?  I gave up on photoshop a long time ago for focus stacking because I could not figure out how to make the same mask adjustment to multiple layers.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

armand

• Photos
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 11:04:55 am »

What technique are you using to adjust the layers?  I gave up on photoshop a long time ago for focus stacking because I could not figure out how to make the same mask adjustment to multiple layers.

Something very time intensive and I will probably get tired of.
I'm looking to see where are major errors. Usually it's because the foreground object has "too much image" around so I deleted the excess from the mask then I figure which layer is surrounding that object and I fill the mask from that surrounding layer.
I'm not sure how else to explain it, keep in mind I lack basic knowledge in PS.

The problems with this approach:
- I have to keep changing the visibility of layers to figure which is which
- there are blending issues with this, I need to use some cloning
- when I click on a mask it doesn't always select the mask, sometimes it selects the layer ( this was my duh! moment when I realized why it was not working)

I would be interested in a simpler different approach. And I think I need some Photoshop videos, the books are comprehensive but are extensive and more than I need, my current Photoshop needs are: panorama, convert to smart object and apply Nik filters, content aware fill and now focus stacking. Everything else happens in Lightroom.

Either way macro focus stacking looks fun for the first time but I wouldn't do it on a regular basis unless I'm getting paid for.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 11:07:09 am »

PS. Looking at the first image I see 2 big areas that I missed. Moral of the story: don't merge your layers until you're sure it's finished.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 11:14:18 am »

That aside, I like it very much.

I agree with Diego - the colors look fake and not like a real lily. The focus stacking seems to be done very well, though. If I were you, I would dial back the color intensity a bit and see what it looks like.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 11:52:13 am »

Here is a desaturated version

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 07:18:39 pm »

Something very time intensive and I will probably get tired of.
I'm looking to see where are major errors. Usually it's because the foreground object has "too much image" around so I deleted the excess from the mask then I figure which layer is surrounding that object and I fill the mask from that surrounding layer.
I'm not sure how else to explain it, keep in mind I lack basic knowledge in PS.

The problems with this approach:
- I have to keep changing the visibility of layers to figure which is which
- there are blending issues with this, I need to use some cloning
- when I click on a mask it doesn't always select the mask, sometimes it selects the layer ( this was my duh! moment when I realized why it was not working)

I would be interested in a simpler different approach. And I think I need some Photoshop videos, the books are comprehensive but are extensive and more than I need, my current Photoshop needs are: panorama, convert to smart object and apply Nik filters, content aware fill and now focus stacking. Everything else happens in Lightroom.

Either way macro focus stacking looks fun for the first time but I wouldn't do it on a regular basis unless I'm getting paid for.

Yep, that's why I don't use photoshop for focus stacking.  You might want to try Zerene or Helicon Focus.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 07:52:44 pm by Rory »
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi
Pages: [1]   Go Up