Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A short trip into the Columbia River Gorge Area?  (Read 1347 times)

capital

• Website
A short trip into the Columbia River Gorge Area?
« on: April 28, 2015, 07:07:36 pm »

If someone had about an hour to spend at a location in the Columbia River Gorge area, where might you consider going?

I am aware of Multnomah falls, though this appears heavily touristy.

Thank you.

chez

Re: A short trip into the Columbia River Gorge Area?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:07:53 am »

If someone had about an hour to spend at a location in the Columbia River Gorge area, where might you consider going?

I am aware of Multnomah falls, though this appears heavily touristy.

Thank you.

A nice falls not too far off the main road is Elowah falls. It's a bit further down the Gorge from Portland and take about 15 minutes to walk into...but it has any potential shots.

capital

• Website
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 12:17:37 pm »

Thank you, chez. This does look like an interesting location.

Sheldon N

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 06:55:54 pm »

The whole stretch is touristy, they are pretty much all within a few miles of each other and can be busy. Take the Historic Highway and you'll be able to access any of the major falls. Some of the stuff takes a bit of hiking, but not too much. However, it's hard to hit all the interesting sites if you've only got an hour or two. The short list I'd look at would include:

Elowah Falls as mentioned above... scramble down below the trail for more interesting foregrounds.

Fairy Falls above Wahkeeha is small but very pretty, bring a wide lens.

Ponytail falls above Horsetail is a relatively quick and easy hike, probably a bit less photogenic than the others on the list.

Wahclella falls is a bit farther down I-84 but also a very pretty hike and quite photogenic.

If you're the adventurous sort, bring some shoes/pants that can get wet and wade up Oneonta Gorge to the falls at the end.

Women's Forum viewpoint above and west of Crown Point is the iconic shot of the gorge and best at sunset. If you time it right you can catch this on your way home.

Enjoy your trip!
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

capital

• Website
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 07:31:44 pm »

Thank you Sheldon, I was able to see Horse Tail Falls, Fairy Falls and Crown Point because the time allowance opened up by a much larger margin. The area is special. Hopefully some other time in the future to see more of the Gorge.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 12:56:12 pm by capital »

capital

• Website
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 08:47:41 pm »

Very nice images of the Painted hills and Gorge area in your Flickr stream, Sheldon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up