Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting a 3880 to print the right size  (Read 1316 times)

mshea

Getting a 3880 to print the right size
« on: April 28, 2015, 06:04:26 pm »

Hi All,

I usually print on longer sheets, typically 25 x 17 or longer, and I've never had a problem. This time I'm trying to print a 31 X 15 image on a 33 X 17 sheet. I enter 33 X17 in the "Manage Custom Sizes" box, where I have the 25 X 17 size already listed. But I see "8.5 by 11" beside the Paper Size 33 X 17 box, and when I click "Save", the Print Settings dialogue shows an 11 X 8.5 crop of my image.

Experimenting, if I switch to the 25 X 17 option, I see "25 by 17" beside the box and, clicking on "Save", the Print Settings window shows the correct 25 X 17 size and corresponding crop.

So I can't figure out what's going wrong.

Merrill

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Getting a 3880 to print the right size
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 07:41:26 pm »

I spent part of my life trying to solve the problem of wrong print sizes from the Epson 3880. Then I bought Mirage Print and seldom had a problem again. From memory, "Manage" Print sizes does not "create" print sizes. I used to go into Word or some other application and then use the "Create Custom print Size" or similar on the printer and then go back and try to use the new custom size.

What I do now is just export a TIFF from whatever editing app and print from Mirage.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

hugowolf

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 08:34:22 pm »

The usual reason for this is setting a custom size with borderless printing selected. Once selected, it is difficult to get out of. Are you seeing something like "User Defined -> Letter 8 1/2 x 11 in" in the printer driver dialog's size box?

There are several paper sizes that are supported for borderless printing, but no custom size is supported. You need to make sure that the Borderless check box is unchecked, before you select a custom paper size, otherwise it will map your custom size to one of the sizes supported for borderless printing.

Brian A

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 05:57:56 pm »

A few screenshots of your various settings may be helpful in providing assistance ...

Mac Mahon

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 05:47:31 pm »

Hi Merrill

w/o screenshot it's difficult to know whether I'm telling you something you've already done.  But ....

I just set up a custom page: 17" x 34" on my 3880, no trouble at all.

I clicked 'manage custom sizes' in the paper size dialogue, then '+' (add new custom page) and gave it a name better than the default 'untitled' (I called it 17 x 34  :) )
Then in the paper size boxes on the right of the dialog I entered 17" (well, the mm equivalent since it defaults to mm in my setup) in the width box, and 34" (mm equiv) in the height box.
I selected 'user defined' for the 'non-printable area' and entered 0mm in each.

It just worked.  (MacOS 10.10.3,  Driver ver. 9.33, if it makes a difference)

Is that what you did?

Tim

mshea

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 09:47:55 pm »

Thanks for the input, guys.

Opened the image today, no changes, did nuttin', honest.  I press command P and everything comes up looking and printing fine!

Sometimes I wonder....

Merrill

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 08:13:07 pm »

There is a stress sensor inside the printer. It is waiting for that urgent print.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

mshea

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 10:37:56 pm »

You don't think it sensed MY stress and figured it better get its act together before I did something dangerous?

Merrill

Greg D

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 11:53:06 am »

When I set up a new "user-defined" size in my 3880, I have to save it, then EXIT THE PRINT DRIVER ALTOGETHER before the new size will show up.  Otherwise it defaults to whatever size was selected when the driver was opened.  I think that's why it mysteriously worked fine the next time you tried it :)

mshea

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 01:04:39 pm »

Now that is weird!  Oh well, whatever works.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up