Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: the real difference bt eizo cg277 and cx271?  (Read 7731 times)

studio347

the real difference bt eizo cg277 and cx271?
« on: April 28, 2015, 06:26:32 am »

Hi,
Sorry if this has been discussed before.
I'm looking for a 27 inch display for professional still photo editing and retouching.
I'm more into the eizo than others.
I want to know if there are any image quality related disadvantage in CX271 compared with CG277, other than the self-calibration and video related function and hood.
If there is no quality disadvantage in the cheaper version for still photo image handling, I want to go with CX rather than CG version.
I have used with NEC monitor with a calibrator.
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 06:28:26 am by studio347 »

D Fosse

Re: the real difference bt eizo cg277 and cx271?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 06:52:59 am »

other than the self-calibration and video related function and hood.

No, that's it. I have a CG246 and a CX240, and everything related to the panel itself is identical.

If you were into pro-grade video a CG might make sense I gather (I'm not).  

Just make sure you get ColorNavigator into the deal.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 06:56:16 am by D Fosse »

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 11:50:40 am »

Hi,
Sorry if this has been discussed before.
I'm looking for a 27 inch display for professional still photo editing and retouching.
I'm more into the eizo than others.
I want to know if there are any image quality related disadvantage in CX271 compared with CG277, other than the self-calibration and video related function and hood.
If there is no quality disadvantage in the cheaper version for still photo image handling, I want to go with CX rather than CG version.
I have used with NEC monitor with a calibrator.
Thanks in advance.

Hope this helps:

Last year I was loaned a CG277 until the CX271 that I ordered was available.

I found that the color calibration using the built in sensor on the CG matched very close to the calibration on the same monitor using my i1 display pro (using color navigator).  So no real advantage to the built in calibrator itself.

The real difference between the displays is that the CG saves a 3dLUT in the display and the CX saves a smaller matrix.  In practice the CX looked so close to the CG (calibrated using my i1) that I am comfortable suggesting that you save the $1000 and get the CX.

I was using the display for video grading, and if that's what you're doing, and want to load a 3dLUT into the display from an outside source, you'll need the CG (i didn't need this, but you might if you calibrate using thousands of dollars of professional calibration equipment and software)

If you're just using an i1 display calibrator, the CX is just fine, and a very good display.

I will add the the CX has a drop down calibration sensor that re-sets the white balance on a schedule. From my experience, this method is not accurate and I suggest you turn off this feature and re-calibrate using an i1 or similar calibrator solution.
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

studio347

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 11:12:45 pm »

thanks for the kind replies.
Yes, I want to save money if there is not much difference for what I'm doing(still photo editing and retouching. I'm not into the video~ with this monitor.).
I like very smooth tones of professional cg eizo monitors. And I'm very sensitive to it since my training and work~ photography, studying or feeling the light.

Usually I don't like any automatic function in main equipment since I don't have good experience with any equipment which has too much automatic functions.

My gut feeling is that the monitors might have slight quality differences bt cg and cx when they(the company) examine the monitor's condition.
But the difference might be too small to affect my work or my viewing experience, which is what I hope~hah.
Cheap and good, is not easy to get~. Expensive and good is usually easier~.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 11:15:53 pm by studio347 »

D Fosse

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 01:36:57 am »

My gut feeling is that the monitors might have slight quality differences bt cg and cx when they(the company) examine the monitor's condition.

I don't think so in this case. In Eizo's own literature they always refer to CG/CX when discussing panel-related technologies and quality control procedures.

Except for the 3D LUT. How significant that is I don't know - but again according to Eizo this is always listed among the video-related functions (which are quite extensive it seems).

In practical use for photography I can confirm that they are completely indistinguishable. My employer paid for the CG, but now that I use both I couldn't tell one from the other.

The integrated sensor is supposedly a very high-end Konica-Minolta meter, calibrated to each individual panel. So that probably accounts for quite a bit of the cost. But again, in practical use I don't see any difference from the i1 Display Pro. It is extremely convenient, though.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 06:45:53 pm »

Virtually the very same panel without built-in colorimeter, limited 3DLUT features, and no Fogra certificate to hang up in the toilet
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

alain

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 08:03:28 am »

Virtually the very same panel without built-in colorimeter, limited 3DLUT features, and no Fogra certificate to hang up in the toilet
Hi

Is there a visible difference with the limited 3DLUT differences? 

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 07:21:54 am »

In CG you can use internal 3DLUT of the display to simulate other device color space characterised with LUT type ICC profiles, which may be useful in case when you work with applications without softproofing function.

Qualitywise there's no visual difference - you pay for an internal colorimeter,  hood, 0 bad pixels warranty, Fogra certificate, softproofing and mobile device simulation feature in ColorNavigator software.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa
Pages: [1]   Go Up