Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USB-to-VGA (or to DVI) adapters that apply color profiles (.icm files)?  (Read 1262 times)

PhotoFiend

Does anybody know of any? Or know where I can find a list? Or know of any that definitely don't?  (I can start that latter list; I use a EVGA 100-U2-UV16-A1 UV Plus USB VGA Adapter, and it definitely does not!)

I'm running 64-bit Windows 7.

Thanks very much!

PhotoFiend

D Fosse

What's this for? Is this some sort of integrated graphics, since you can't use the normal video card outputs?

I assume you mean the calibration curves, which is not the profile, but usually stored inside the profile for convenience. This is loaded into the graphics card/adapter, and would normally be an integral part of the out-signal fed to the display. It's not a separate "component". If it isn't loading, I'd look to the OS and its default display profile settings.

Maybe I misunderstand the question completely.

PhotoFiend

My video card has two outputs (VGA and DVI) and I have a monitor hooked up to each. Calibration works fine on those two.

The problem is the third monitor, which is hooked up to a USB connection via the USB-to-VGA adapter. Presumably that bypasses the video card; the interface to the operating system is taken care of by the adapter's driver. The video card tweaks its outputs per the calibration curves for its two monitors, but the adapter's USB driver ignores the calibration curves for the third monitor.

If you'd like to see a list of some of the adapters out in the marketplace, look at  http://www.staples.com/usb+to+vga+adapters/directory_usb+to+vga+adapters

I've looked at several of them on-line; their specs say nothing about .icm files or calibration curves, but simple experiment proves that my adapter (which apparently uses the DisplayLink DL-165 chip) ignores whatever .icm file I try to plug into it.

Thanks!

PhotoFiend

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:59:31 am by PhotoFiend »

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com

As far as I know DisplayLink is the only chipset vendor for USB->VGA/DVI/HDMI adapters. On Windows their driver doesn't support writing LUTs to the device, so I think you are out of luck on this one.
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

PhotoFiend

Thanks very much, Will; you've saved me a ton of wasted time!

I see you work for NEC, so could you possibly give me some guidance on some baffling symptoms on my beloved NEC 231WMi?

I'm a retired EE, and I've repaired failed power supplies on several LCD monitors over the years, so when the 231WMi began to flicker at power-up, and eventually refused to turn on at all, the repair seemed straightforward.  I replaced all the electrolytic capacitors on the power-supply board (except for the two 450v parts) and that worked partially for a while; the backlight now lights up for about a 1/2-second after power-up and then shuts off again, but if I turned it off and on again repeatedly, after several cycles something would warm up and the backlight would stay on.

But that didn't last. The backlight still lights up, but now it won't stay on no matter how many times I cycle the power. I'm guessing that the backlight power supply is working OK, but that a control signal is shutting it off.

Does that control signal originate on the video board? Because if so, I can replace all the electrolytics on the video board also; maybe that will fix it. Could you please do me a (second!) big favor and point me in the right direction? Or refer me to someone else who can?

Thanks very much!

PhotoFiend

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:10:30 pm by PhotoFiend »
Pages: [1]   Go Up