Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Retina MBP users - is Lr6 faster than Lr5?  (Read 4057 times)

NancyP

Retina MBP users - is Lr6 faster than Lr5?
« on: April 27, 2015, 03:57:51 pm »

Is Lr6 fast enough for you Retina MacBookPro users?

I am still limping along on a non-Retina MacBookPro mid 2010, with 10.6.8 and with Lr4. Lr4 is perfectly functional on this vintage computer. I do expect to buy another laptop in the next update, probably due in late 2015 or early 2016 (when the new chips become available). I feel not too inclined to update Lr to 6 if I won't see a boost in speed for a properly configured Retina MBP. As I understand it, Lr5 just crawled on Retina MBPs. I don't care about face recognition on Lr6. If I can turn that off, all to the better.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: Retina MBP users - is Lr6 faster than Lr5?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 04:44:12 pm »

LR5 did not crawl on retina MBP's. I'm not sure where you got that impression from. LR6 runs faster in the develop module due to GPU support, the rest is the same. I use the MBP 15" late 2013 MBP retina as my only machine and it runs plenty fast for the files from my Canon 5D3 and Nikon D810.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 05:02:33 pm »

... LR6 runs faster in the develop module due to GPU support...

Glad it works for you, Hans.

My experience is the opposite: frequent crashes, beachball spinning, long time delay between a brush and its effect, freakish behavior (like when you press "L" it blackens the whole screen, not just the outside of the image - but only sometimes). If I did a perspective correction, and then moved to something else, say brushes, every time it refreshes the brush action, the images jitters as it goes into pre-perspective correction first and then settles. Etc., etc. Feels more like a beta version than a final release. I am on (thin) iMac 27", 24 GB memory, Yosemite 10.10.3

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 06:43:19 pm »

Clean install or update over existing version?

Bob Peters

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 07:06:38 pm »

I am still limping along on a non-Retina MacBookPro mid 2010, with 10.6.8 and with Lr4. Lr4 is perfectly functional on this vintage computer. I do expect to buy another laptop in the next update, probably due in late 2015 or early 2016 (when the new chips become available). I feel not too inclined to update Lr to 6 if I won't see a boost in speed for a properly configured Retina MBP. As I understand it, Lr5 just crawled on Retina MBPs. I don't care about face recognition on Lr6. If I can turn that off, all to the better.

I have run many files (Nikon 1 v3, Nikon D700 and D800) through my 2013 MacBook Pro (retina) running Lightroom 5 without any problems whatsoever.

I currently use OS X (10.9.5) and Lightroom 6 on the same laptop without any obvious problems.  It takes about 6.3 seconds to calculate a 1:1, D800 preview which is little faster than Lightroom 5.

trichardlin

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 12:31:06 am »

Is Lr6 fast enough for you Retina MacBookPro users?...

Define fast.

For some, it's fast. For others, it crawls. I switched from Aperture recently, and both LR5 and LR6 (cc) positively crawl. I'm running on a mid-2014 2.8 GHz 13" MBP with 16GB RAM and 256 GB SSD with an external SSD drive. Most of my files are 16MP RAW files from Panasonic GX7. Zooming in and out always takes a couple of seconds or so to bring things into focus. Import/Export are really slow to. This is relative to Aperture. I have no experience with C1 or other apps.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 04:06:09 am »

Define fast.

For some, it's fast. For others, it crawls. I switched from Aperture recently, and both LR5 and LR6 (cc) positively crawl. I'm running on a mid-2014 2.8 GHz 13" MBP with 16GB RAM and 256 GB SSD with an external SSD drive. Most of my files are 16MP RAW files from Panasonic GX7. Zooming in and out always takes a couple of seconds or so to bring things into focus. Import/Export are really slow to. This is relative to Aperture. I have no experience with C1 or other apps.

Have you generated 1:1 previews? Do you zoom in library or in develop? If you have generated 1:1 zooming in using library is instant but in develop not. But faster now with gpu support to load the image in develop.

NancyP

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 03:04:34 pm »

THanks, all. The real impetus to get beyond Lr4 is the possibility of getting a new camera. I have been dawdling around waiting for the user reports on the Canon 7D2 initial batch of cameras - some people seem to be having AF issues, and at least some of the problematic users/cameras have been traced to problems in a mirror box unit, fixed when Canon replaces the mirror box.

trichardlin

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 04:39:57 pm »

> Have you generated 1:1 previews?

I use smart preview. Will try that when I get home. Thanks for the tips.

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 03:46:56 pm »

I have been dawdling around waiting for the user reports on the Canon 7D2 initial batch of cameras - some people seem to be having AF issues, and at least some of the problematic users/cameras have been traced to problems in a mirror box unit, fixed when Canon replaces the mirror box.

Nancy - I think it is a bit of a crap shoot.  The 7DMKII can be an amazing camera, but with the low price, compared to a 1D X, I think a lot of quality control has been sacrificed.  My first model would not focus consistently but the second one is right on.  Take the plunge, immediately test and return if it is not giving you precision focus (after doing fine tune if necessary).
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 08:52:57 pm »

Doesn't feel much different to me than 5.7. I turned off GPU, it didn't seem to do much and screwed with the color previews which gave me a headache.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 11:59:16 pm »

Yes...at least the more recent ones. I got the quad-core 2.8Ghz i7 with 16GB ram and the 1TB SSD. Lightroom is flying compared to my old 15 MacBook Pro 2010.

Develop (with GPU enabled) is fluid fast as is zoom & pan and Library seems a lot faster than my old MacBook Pro which was 2.8 Ghz, 8GB and an Intel video card.

I waited longer than usual; I like to upgrade to the newest/fastest after 3 years. I know there is a performance bump in the near future (look at the 13" MacBook Pro for hints) but I don't choose my buy timing based on Apple timing...and don't recriminate when something newer/faster comes out a few month after I but.

This is all with 10.10.3 installed.

MirekElsner

• Mirek's web site
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 09:01:20 pm »

> Retina MBP users - is Lr6 faster than Lr5?

There certainly is some speed improvement in Develop compared to LR5.

> Is Lr6 fast enough for you Retina MacBookPro users?

Not only fast enough, but due to faster disks and USB, things like imports and backups take fraction of time compared to my old 2010 MBP.
Pages: [1]   Go Up