Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meet on the street...shoot at the home.  (Read 496 times)

Iluvmycam

stamper

Re: Meet on the street...shoot at the home.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 04:34:31 am »

It must have been exciting and possibly dangerous and certainly not for the faint hearted. I don't think I will be doing it any time soon.

Tim Lookingbill

Re: Meet on the street...shoot at the home.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 02:40:56 pm »

Daniel, I've been quite interested and intrigued by your images I first saw in a link you provided in another recent thread in this forum.

But it's been gnawing at me as to how this is considered social documentary seeing the majority of your subjects are willing partners of what appears to be a type of exhibitionist lifestyle as a way to establish an identity because they have no other way of expressing them self. IOW this is not typical social behavior as it's known to unfold in real life if the person being documented is in on the setup.

For instance the shot of the man gratifying himself in what appears to be his bedroom looking at a poster of Burt Reynolds most folks in that real world social situation would not want to be seen doing. It's their private moment so I'm having a hard time understanding how this is social commentary/documentary over just exhibitionism for shock value.

I'm sure your images are quite popular and sell well in galleries, but I'm not sure if they sell because they are representation of a deep insightful examination of real world observation of life as a comment on society in general.

Not knocking your work just trying to sort out something I've been observing of similar work for some time to see if I can get a better understanding of it.

I've attempted to seek out interesting looking people and shoot their portrait, but most of them are either cagey asking a thousand questions or they want to pose and control how they are perceived which ends up making very boring images. And now I come full circle to ask if your subjects were doing the same but on the flip side of social norm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up