Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: museo silver rag and a longevity question  (Read 983 times)

sgwrx

museo silver rag and a longevity question
« on: April 26, 2015, 09:20:18 pm »

rather than two threads thought i would consolidate.

1 is museo silver rag still a well regarded paper? i see crane no longer makes it.  i liked it back when it was newer.

2 so now that the pigment  revolution has been around a while, how is everyone's real world experience with longevity ie) fading over time.  i have a few prints from my now defunct r2400 from several years ago on the old epson archival matte ( read that there was a controversy with that!) that still look very good behind glass in a typical living room environment.  the silver rag and epson luster prints also look good , but these were stored in a case for the last several years. 

i havent had a chance to reprint anything yet for comparison because i have not yet ordered the new printer.

thanks,

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: museo silver rag and a longevity question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 07:14:01 am »

although this is an n=1, I have always liked printing on Silver Rag and still do.  When they changed paper stock a couple of years ago I requested a sample from Museo for testing (they sent me an entire 17inch roll!!) to make sure that the color gradients had not changed.  My tests showed that both the new and old papers were identical (you will have to check the LuLa archives for that thread).  I have a series of prints hanging in the hallway of my former employer and they have been on display since mid-2007.  As with most office buildings the lighting is rather harsh with lots of halogen bulbs.  I visit periodically and the prints still look quite good and there doesn't appear to be much visual fading.  IIRC the paper has performed pretty well in the Aardenburg tests.

Alan

sgwrx

Re:
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 05:57:18 pm »

thank you

Iluvmycam

Re: museo silver rag and a longevity question
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 06:08:40 pm »

http://fadetesting.tumblr.com/

worry about dye and pigments, not paper so much...if it is acid free.

sgwrx

Re:
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 08:05:02 pm »

thanks for the link.  yep, paper is very important!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up