Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A7r vs A7II  (Read 3158 times)

CptZar

A7r vs A7II
« on: April 25, 2015, 03:26:13 pm »

I had to send in  my A7r for repair. So I needed a spare camera right away, and I always had an eye on the A7II. I got one, and it blew me away. Beside Mpx which is kind of nice to have, like horsepower in car, the A7II is a major step forward.

We all know about first curtain shutter. OK, it's nice to shoot with a 120mm at 1/125 without being afraid of a blurred  image, but that is just the cream on top.

In body stabilization is just a killer with non stabilized lenses and high Mpx. This is also true for the Zeiss 55/1.8 which is very hard to shoot in dim light. You will always need fast exposures when mounted on the A7r. With the A7II it just fun to shoot even in low light.

The body is a little heavier but seams to be more on the heavy duty sider. There is more custom buttons and I do like that. Beside the Mpx I don't see any point where the A7r would catch up. Well done Sony.

By the way, Sony released the Touchless Shutter App. You just put your hand in front of the EVF and the shutter releases. Very cool.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 03:51:04 pm by CptZar »

JohnAONeill

• http://www.johnanthonyoneill.com
Re: A7r vs A7II
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 07:30:49 pm »

I switched to the A7II myself and so far I really like the camera. Overall it a more rounded camera for getting the job done. I do miss that 36mp sensor and lack of AA filter but after PP work the A7II can produce some great files! Thanks for the tip on the EVF shutter tripping app. I'll have to look in to this one. Sounds like a useful tool!

Cheers
John

jhemp

• Glad to be alive and a photographer
    • Jay Hemphill Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 12:45:43 am »

Agreed, I just got the A7II two days ago and it's such a better all around camera with a much better build than the A7R!  The A7R now feels cheap to me.  I may just sell the A7R and hope they upgrade it soon. 
J

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 03:26:41 am »

These are two very different cameras. As good as the A7II is (and it is, I have one), if you need the resolution of the A7R, it doesn't matter.

The A7II for me has much better ergonomics, and I use it mostly for handheld shots, for which the IBIS is also very useful.

flbrit

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 04:43:46 pm »

I have to say I too love the A7ii.

Following the comments from the "boss" a month or two ago, I bought one along with a 16-35 and 70-200 and 55. Plus recently a Sony/Zeiss Distagon f1.4. All FE.

This was more than funded by my sale of all Nikon Gear including a D800e plus a good few f1.4 G primes and some good zooms including the new 80-400. I wanted to downsize my entire kit collection, lost interest in BIF, and was not comfortable with what appeared to me at any rate, the lack of direction from Nikon. So I figured, sell the DSLR gear whilst it had great 2nd hand value and go in a different direction.

So far, the Sony gear meets the bill. I am hoping for a A7Rii at some point which will then release my A7ii for IR conversion. Buy one sell one, so I'll dump my Pany GX1 ir converted at 590.

Not saying this is a wise choice for all but right now it fits my shooting needs.

Brian
Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up