Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hello - long time since i was last here!  (Read 1021 times)

sgwrx

hello - long time since i was last here!
« on: April 25, 2015, 01:19:39 am »

hello, long time since i was last here.  i've perused every now and then.  i'm also getting the bug again and since it appears my r2400 printer is dead and cannot be revived economically, i've been reading up on printers.  it seems that now might be the best time to get an epson 3880.  it'll do a little larger prints if i want and with newer printers arriving or arrived, the price seems to be very much in my favor.  a 3880 + full ink set for nearly the same price as the r2400 i got all those years ago.  for the occasional printing (as a hobby, gifts for friends etc...) seems like i couldn't go wrong with the workhorse 3880.  am i correct in this thinking?

Jager

• E vestigio
Re: hello - long time since i was last here!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 06:18:06 am »

The 3880 is probably Epson's most issue-free printer.  I'd say, yes, you are correct in your thinking.

The just-announced P800 seems to have taken most of its major design cues from the 3880, so we can hopefully surmise that it, too, will inherit the 3800/3880's steadfast reliability.  But that's just speculation until they begin shipping.

sgwrx

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 09:40:24 am »

thanks!  i did read the review of it by another forum member. it is great, a next gen printer. it seems like things have evolved a tad bit slower than i would have thought. but then some steps are so big (k3 inks and printers) that change for the sake of change seems to be the only thing you can do until the next big step, which i think we're at.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 01:35:46 pm »

My 3800 just keeps cranking out 16"x24" prints trouble free. We were homeless for 6 months because of Hurricane Sandy. We had no electric, or heat, and the 3800 was subjected  to lengthy freezing temperatures. When we finally got back home, the 3800 had nozzle clogging issues, but after numerous cleaning cycles it came back to life, and I am still using it. It's reliability and smallish form factor are wonderful, as we live in a smallish 2 bedroom condo where the 2nd bedroom serves as my office (it also houses my giant Epson  7890). I have heard the 3880 is every bit as reliable as my 3800.
Good luck
Dave in NJ

BradSmith

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 08:21:23 pm »

My 3800 is about 6 years old with 4 or 5 prints at a time, maybe a couple times a month, with occasional higher prints runs.   I think I've only had one clogged nozzle in all that time.  I've gone as long as 5 months without a print and when I ran a nozzle check, it was perfect.

I'm actually thinking about buying a 3880 now and just storing it in the closet for the inevitable time in the future when my 3800 needs to be replaced. 

Brad

xocet

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 08:23:59 pm »

You may also want to take a look at the Canon Pixma Pro range, especially if you are printing infrequently.

sgwrx

Re: Re: hello - long time since i was last here!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 10:59:01 pm »

thanks, i was wondering about printing some type of test image every weak or twice a week in 8 by 10 or 12 by 18 print size to help keep things flowing. Are there any such test images? EDIT: found a couple....

So with the 3880 the inks are in one position and there are lines that feed the moving print head? So I would need to be mindful of making sure those lines are primed with fresh ink. This will be a little different for me since I'm coming from an r2400.

Is it fairly straightforward to clean 3880? there was a great YouTube video from inkjetmall about cleaning a desktop printer. They took a paper towel and folded it and soaked it with piezo flush fluid and dragged printhead over it to clean the print heads is that something that one would do with a printer like the 3880?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up