Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tricking an Epson 9890/9900 to print with Photo Black on Fineart media?  (Read 798 times)

disneytoy

Hello!

I'd rather not waste a bunch of ink switching PK/MK on my 9890. I've been printing on Epson Exhib. Watercolor and Matte Canvas. When I print under the Photo black it looks fioe to me.

I understand the icc profile corresponds to adjusting the color and the paper selection in the Epson Driver directs the amount of coverage and paper thickness.

I've resorted to using the Glossy (250) setting on some custom watercolor paper and bristol board.

But if I want to print as close as possible to the Epson Exhibition Watercolor, it won't allow me until I switch inks.

So, I can use the WC icc profile. Is there a trick in the driver to make it print with the Photo Black instead, but with all the internal settings for the WC paper?

It really would not matter if I use PK or MK on these images, they are sea scapes and primarily light blue.

Any thoughts?

Maxi

John Caldwell

Make a new ICC profile for your fine art paper and PK, adjusting driver parameters so they make sense for the paper in question. You might start with Epson Semi-Matte (a "Photo Paper") as a media selection, but I'd expect you to require adjustments in platen, paper thickness and perhaps ink limits. I can make no guess about the canvas settings but I'm sure others here will have insight.

Whether this will save time effort and money, by the time you are done, over making the nuisance PK>MK switch will be interesting to see.

Good luck,

John Caldwell

disneytoy

John,

My resistance is not wasting ink to do the black switch, if I'm print a true B&W on some nice fine art paper. But obsessionally, I need to do a single test print on WC paper. At least with the Epson Exhibition Matte Canvas, I just select the Glossy Canvas setting and everything still prints and looks great.

You pointed out the focus of my question. How would I create a driver setting that matches the Epson Exhibition Canvas paper type, but with PK? Is that even possible?

I'm not concerned with platten thickness. I'm on auto paper thickness. Wouldn't that adjust for the 310gm paper thickness anyway?

Thanks

Maxi
Pages: [1]   Go Up