Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR6 and 5K / 4K monitors  (Read 1173 times)

Slater-K

LR6 and 5K / 4K monitors
« on: April 22, 2015, 05:05:25 am »

Hi All,

I'd like to upgrade my monitor to either 5k or 4k, but i've heard that LR5 isn't very good with such large screens (ie slow, and small images in grid mode) and this is holding me back. (I'm a photographer and my main apps are LR and PS.)

Has anyone installed LR6 and been using it on 5k / 4k? I'm using a nMP, and would be very interested in your thoughts.

Cheers

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Re: LR6 and 5K / 4K monitors
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 08:28:41 am »

GPU Suport
Lightroom is now able to utilise the power of the Graphics processor (GPU) within the development module. This not only means that images will load much faster, but Lightroom will be much quicker when editing in development process. This support will enable newer computers, as well as older computers to get a performance boost ,(higher resolution (4K and 5K screens) will notice an improvement in performance as well)
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Slater-K

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 04:12:20 am »

GPU Suport
Lightroom is now able to utilise the power of the Graphics processor (GPU) within the development module.

Thanks, i was aware of that, i was wondering if anyone has any hands on experience.

I've heard that LR doesn't play well with 4k / 5k (very slow) and i would like to know people's experiences with the new version, and hear if they feel anything has changed.

My experience with LR6 (only this morning, on my nMP with a 2560 x 1600 monitor) is that there is not much difference between it and LR5, in terms of preview speed in both Library and Develop, or slider operation.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 04:35:05 am »

Is your GPU enabled? Look at LR's Preference, Performance tab.

Slater-K

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 04:44:13 am »

Is your GPU enabled? Look at LR's Preference, Performance tab.

Sadly, yes, it is!

I'm also getting a strange 'shift' in the image when going to the next shot, in Develop module ... on my latest shoot that i'm working on i'm using Split Toning, and the image seems to render without that, and then one second later, the Split Toning jumps in, and the shot is finally correct. I'm not seeing this on LR5 - each next shot starts of as it ends, it's just that the image resolves itself to a higher dpi about a second later. (Taking more time in LR6 than LR5!)

LR6 isn't working out for me as yet :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up