Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 6 - Dead end ?  (Read 33487 times)

Glenn NK

Re: Lightroom 6 - Dead end ?
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2015, 11:19:53 pm »

First off, I don't think I'm paranoid.  Having said that, I may be forgetting things.

Secondly, I have never used Photoshop (CC), never will, and have no reason to enter into a subscription.  I'm fine with the stand-alone version.

But on all the previous versions (I stared with V-1 and updated to each version), I seem to recall being able to log into Adobe, and DL a TRIAL version of the newest LR - without having to buy it.   And then I was able to use it for a 30 day trial.  Each time, I did the upgrade and registered it.

But I can't seem to find this option - all I find is an offer to buy it outright (or update from LR5).

So there seems to be a slightly perceptible change in the approach Adobe is taking?

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

Norm Nicholson

• Photography By Norm Nicholson
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2015, 11:23:32 pm »

Really, really folks, I was told that Big Brother was going to be the Government. Instead I find that it's Adobe, Comcast, Google etc. Adobe's Website kept leading me towards the CC version. After numerous shifts of HTML pages and paying, downloading and certifying ID with Adobe, I open my copy to find I have agreed to send them information as to my usage unless I go back to my account and turn app management off. Also gratis I have a cloud subscription for 30 days for all my collections, unless I don't want it. But how could I be so crass as to not want it? They really want to push their electronic fingers into my computer and my photographic life and personal computer life. How nice of them.

All I want to do is make photographs and print them. And I don't need nor want Adobe for more than that. My final thought for you to consider is that profit maximization is alive and well. But my purse and my privacy are not doing so well.

hjulenissen

« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2015, 02:43:36 am »

... it's pretty clear, while some have had issues, the majority have not (myself included). There are at least hundreds of posts on various forums from people who have done so!
Using internet buzz as an indicator of customer satisfaction is error-prone (e.g. you tend to get unproportional amount of polarized opinions).
But let's not take any responsibility for this, it's all Adobe's fault.
I think that Adobe does some strange and annoying things in this area. Almost feels like some top management have their bonuses connected to the number of CC subscribers (as opposed to company profitability directly). But it is not the end the of the world. Worst case, someone else will offer the tools that Adobe will not supply us with. If that breaks the semi-monopoly in image editing, all the better for us customers. More realistically, Adobe (and their shareholders) will react if they see profits declining and believe that changing policies will improve profits.

-h

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2015, 04:13:18 am »

I looked all over on Adobe site and had to post here asking where to find the LR6(non-cc) and someone provided a link.  DXO maybe a good alternate.
AfterShot I thought would be a potential future player, but not sure if they did anything after v1 which had issues for me. 
C1, and ACDSee has a pro version with raw processing.

I see your point, it looks like they are weeding out and sifting as many as they can to switch to Cc, and maybe a matter of time 7, 8...9, 10? before they cut it loose.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

DaveQ

« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2015, 03:34:31 pm »

I have now moved onto DxO...no more Adobe CC for me.

chez

« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2015, 10:44:44 pm »

Went to adobe.com. Two mouse clicks later I found LR6 offered for sale as a standalone app. What do you want for user-friendly? A cup of warm milk and a pat on the back?

Haters will be haters...that's all.

chez

« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2015, 10:50:18 pm »

Yeah, aren't people paranoid? It's not as if Adobe have done that with the rest of their Creative Suite products, is it? Er....

Specifically for LR, they have said "indefinitely".

Ok...so Apple totally bailed out. Corel turtled. You roll your dice and take them chances. So far Adobe brought us into this digital world and keeps pushing along. I'd rather hang my hat onto the one that brought me here for the last 15 years than some newby trying to bite the ankles of Adobe. If not Adobe...then look for the ankle biter of the day. Just STOP all this whining...move on.

jrp

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2015, 09:26:00 am »

I've been puzzled by the small step that LR cc/6 represents over LR 5 after around 2 years. I suppose that it is just a mature product and there is not much more they can do for the photographer.

They do say that cc subscribers will get feature updates, whereas 6 users will get only bug fixes. So maybe they held back features for the next quarterly release.

What new features could they offer?  For me, I don't need features as such, but more speed / responsiveness and even better raw processing. In the latter case, there are diminishing returns. The best raw processor for a particular picture is not going to be that much better. And Adobe clearly prioritise simplicity of use over ultimate control (check out the number of sliders that Iridient developer offers).

Having their own cloud offering also seems to make Adobe slower with integration with a wider range of social media. Yes, there are plugins, but it's all a bit clunky.

Anyway. Enough yak. On with picture creation.

dreed

« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2015, 10:17:16 am »

Really, really folks, I was told that Big Brother was going to be the Government. Instead I find that it's Adobe, Comcast, Google etc.

Whilst there are limitations on what government can do to "snoop" on you, there are vastly less restrictions on getting said information from companies (when asked) and various companies have proven to be very accommodating in the hope of getting juicy government contracts/purchases later.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2015, 12:11:03 pm »

So maybe they held back features for the next quarterly release.
That's been true of Adobe since nearly day one (I've been a beta since version 2.5). Adobe, probably any software company can't implement all the features at once, they are always working on new improvements. I suspect Adobe has a pretty good idea of what LR7, or whatever it may be called will provide along with new features they hope to roll into LR6CC until then and are working in parallel to do so. People may read into this as Adobe's attempt to lure you in with a subscription, so be it. But this isn't anything new in terms of software development.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

jrp

« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2015, 01:56:20 pm »

I don't understand your point.  I said "held back features" not "did not release features that were not ready".

They seems to have devoted a lot of effort in getting the CC version plumbed into their cloud, but those are features that benefit them more than they benefit the users.  Even then, their plumbing was hardly Apple-seamless.  At least two logs in and out of your id were required to get to the new Lightroom, without any prompt to do so.  A poor user experience.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2015, 02:36:32 pm »

I don't understand your point.  I said "held back features" not "did not release features that were not ready".
Held back implies something malicious and I don't subscribe to such speculations.   

jrp

« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2015, 05:30:15 pm »

Tactical, not necessarily malicious.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2015, 06:24:03 pm »

Tactical, not necessarily malicious.
Again, whatever you wish to call it, I don't subscribe to such speculations.

hjulenissen

« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2015, 06:55:05 am »

... People may read into this as Adobe's attempt to lure you in with a subscription, so be it. But this isn't anything new in terms of software development.
The subscription-based trend (and the attempts to make people buy into it rather than their traditional license model) seems to be fairly recent though.

The fact that Adobe wants to make money more than they want to save the world is nothing remarkable, though.

-h

rdonson

« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2015, 08:12:23 am »

Geez folks, Adobe isn't nefarious.  They may not run their company to exactly fit your desires but they aren't out to ruin your day either.

When they launched CC they said it served two main purposes.

1) from a corporate standpoint it smoothes out revenue. 

2) it allows them to release updates and bug fixes more frequently and quite likely at a lower cost than the previous release cycles

Adobe has also said that they have NO intention of doing away with perpetual licensing for Lr.  That makes good business sense.  If you think of Lr as a gateway product for some photographers to CC why would they kill that by eliminating the perpetual license?

If you don't want or need CC then stick with the perpetual license.  Its just that simple. 

Will this hold true forever and ever?  Nothing is forever except taxes.  :)

What will the future hold?  Who knows that answer for sure?  I'm think that life for many, including Adobe, would be easier if we all had blazing fast internet connections and all their products could run on their servers.  I'm pretty sure this is how Google, Apple and Microsoft see things.
Regards,
Ron

hjulenissen

« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2015, 08:47:53 am »

What will the future hold?  Who knows that answer for sure?  I'm think that life for many, including Adobe, would be easier if we all had blazing fast internet connections and all their products could run on their servers.  I'm pretty sure this is how Google, Apple and Microsoft see things.
If you want to completely render visual elements on a server based on control input (e.g. a users mouse moving a slider), you need really low network latency in order to make it not feel "sluggish". Now, certain "heavy" operations may take on the order of seconds or 10s of seconds (noise reduction, HDR, panorama,...) and for those it might make sense to do the processing centralized, especially if copies of the image data is allready kept at the server. If you need a peak processing power of X in order to do your thing, but only use the hardware 1 hour a day, then it can make sense to put similar hardware in a rack and rent it to a number of users. Is this not similar to what Erlang Units describe?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erlang_(unit)

I have a hard time seeing professionals and enthusiasts accepting that all of their images are located at some Adobe server, that all processing is done at their servers and that their local application is merely a webapp controlling things. For consumers, I think that this is inevitable, and perhaps even a good thing.

But who am I to predict things. I never thought that laptops would overtake stationary computers for general use, and I never saw the point of the tablet...

-h
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 08:52:03 am by hjulenissen »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2015, 09:20:25 am »

Again, whatever you wish to call it, I don't subscribe to such speculations.

Andrew,

I'm not sure if the pun was intended, but you are funny (and yes, even though it's not my native tongue, I do understand the multiple meanings of 'subscribing to something' in the English language).

I also do not subscribe if I can avoid it, but that's another subject ...

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2015, 11:54:49 am »

Andrew,

I'm not sure if the pun was intended, but you are funny (and yes, even though it's not my native tongue, I do understand the multiple meanings of 'subscribing to something' in the English language).

Cheers,
Bart

+1!     :D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2015, 11:57:10 am »

You don't subscribe to anything?
I'd find that rather difficult.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up