Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 6 - Dead end ?  (Read 33521 times)

Jimbo57

Re: Lightroom 6 - Dead end ?
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 05:11:10 am »

For those in UK who want to upgrade their standalone LR, the quickest and cheapest way to do it, based on previous upgrades) is to download the trial and then buy a physical upgrade version on disc from Amazon. Use the key from the disc package to register the downloaded trial.

The reason is that if you "buy" the download you get it from Adobe in Ireland and pay VAT at the higher Irish rate of 25%. Buy the disc from Amazon.co.uk and you pay VAT at the lower British rate.

Crazy!!

mlewis

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 06:22:01 am »

I can't see how to buy new version at all outright. I'm still using Photoshop CS5 for the same reason. I have no interest in a subscription model Adobe is begging me to stop giving them money with this new model.
All you do is go to the Lightroom pages at the Adobe website.  Scroll down to the bottom.  There you will see all the purchase options including the buy standalone option.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 06:42:53 am »

It's so messy that I wrote some instructions with screenshots here.

You must go to the Products page ( USA UK or wherever) and ensure you click the Buy button.

Be careful not to click the link to Photoshop Lightroom 6 as that just takes you back to Adobe’s standard Lightroom page where you get pushed towards CC.

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2015, 07:26:14 am »

Neither are facts, mostly FUD and nonsense from Kelby.

Why are you so reluctant to admit the possibility that Lightroom will one day be subscription only, just as Photoshop is now? And sooner, rather than later?

Yes, official word from Adobe would be the best. But are they likely to announce loudly that Lightroom 6 is the last standalone version, even if it was?

To me, anyway, the circumstantial evidence is strong:
It is none too obvious how to buy Lightroom 6 on Adobe's own site
It is even harder to figure out how to upgrade from Lightroom 5 to Lightroom 6
At the same time, it is simplicity to get on board with Lightroom CC
The rest of Adobe's entire professional graphics product line is subscription only
How long is "indefinitely" in Adobe's mind (or market-speak)? Until version 7 in two more years?
Lightroom 5 (standalone) and 6 do not allow mobile syncing when mobile is "the future."

We'll know for sure, in time. But I think it would be wise for serious Photographers to come to grips with the possibility that Lightroom 7 will never come. And be making their photo management and editing plan with that in mind.

That doesn't mean to abandon Lightroom now, far from it. Lightroom is the "best available" solution to an integrated DAM, Development and Output need on the market today. IMHO.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 07:42:29 am »

Just another opinion from another Adobe Lightroom evangelist at this link
http://laurashoe.com/2015/04/21/which-should-i-buy-lightroom-cc-2015-or-lightroom-6/?mc_cid=b6d97d7495&mc_eid=5e4ed2842f

I am however left in limbo since I cannot purchase the subscription option since Adobe does not do business in the country where I live so I have no efficient method of making the monthly payments.
My only option is to purchase with a one time payment through a third party seller and have the product shipped.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2015, 10:04:24 am »

Why are you so reluctant to admit the possibility that Lightroom will one day be subscription only, just as Photoshop is now? And sooner, rather than later?
Yes, official word from Adobe would be the best. But are they likely to announce loudly that Lightroom 6 is the last standalone version, even if it was?
It appears I need to answer differently based on the two Bob Rockefeller's above. One is the Bob who's poor oxygen deprived brain from the Kelby mess posted Scott's FUD in post #2 "Lightroom CC Now Release" http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=99711.80 and the Bob who's brain has received adequate oxygen.
First I'm not at all reluctant to admit the possibility that LR will go subscription only and have never said otherwise! Now, for the 2nd Bob, yes, official word from Adobe is not only best, it's the only way I'll operate and suggest you do as well.

The first Bob posted some text from Kelby not Adobe that only added FUD to a forum post and I nearly got sucked into that nonsense vortex. Until I read what Scott wrote (my bad) and realized not only isn't it official and poorly written, it doesn't break any new ground. This 'behavior' is how LR and other Adobe products have operated for years!

Can LR go subscription only? Of course. Will it? Perhaps. When the time comes, and I doubt we'll see this until there's a much bigger carrot (LR7) and that's admitted speculation, I'll do what I always do when considering an upgrade: figure out the cost to benefit ratio. Could Adobe spring subscription on LR6? Sure. And doing so after the official release would be rather dumb. But it isn't impossible. As such a time as this or that happens, why the FUD? There's a forum on LuLa here, this isn't that forum.

I'm not defending past Adobe changes in terms of how they handle software. They offer a product we all have to decide whether we wish to buy into or move on. And I'll not rant about what they may do in the future.

To me, anyway, the circumstantial evidence is strong:
It is none too obvious how to buy Lightroom 6 on Adobe's own site
Obvious or impossible?

It is even harder to figure out how to upgrade from Lightroom 5 to Lightroom 6
Hard or impossible?

How long is "indefinitely" in Adobe's mind (or market-speak)? Until version 7 in two more years?
Don't know, I'll deal with it when that happens, I suggest you do the same. In the meantime, how about actually working with LR6 (or moving on) and using the forum for it's intended purpose, answering questions or asking them! I've almost got my catalog keyworded  with Fact Detection and I like the feature. It will make finding certain images much easier for me.

Lightroom 5 (standalone) and 6 do not allow mobile syncing when mobile is "the future."
The future predicted flying cars. IMHO, LR Mobile is a huge waste of time and engineering resources. IF you feel it's the future and super important to you, stick with Adobe no matter the software delivery and cost OR move on Bob.

We'll know for sure, in time.
See, taking a deep breath and ignoring "the Kelby" is taking affect, good.

But I think it would be wise for serious Photographers to come to grips with the possibility that Lightroom 7 will never come.
And that just occurred to you? There are a million scenario's where LR7 never comes or for that matter, San Jose and the Adobe staff will all be killed by a meteor. Breath, breath.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2015, 10:10:40 am »

Let me add Bob, if such a time LR6 goes subscription or even LR7 and you want to affect change, start an online petition, get say 20,000 Adobe customers to sign it (I'd be happy to do so) and send to Adobe. Maybe Kelby will help market it?

stamper

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 10:14:03 am »

Let me add Bob, if such a time LR6 goes subscription or even LR7 and you want to affect change, start an online petition, get say 20,000 Adobe customers to sign it (I'd be happy to do so) and send to Adobe. Maybe Kelby will help market it?

Why don't get a cold beer, chill out and come back to this later in the week?

AlterEgo

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2015, 10:15:02 am »

And I'll not rant about what they may do in the future.
are there any rules against ranting about what Adobe may do in the future ? if no - then just move on... it seems that the "size" of Kelby's NDA is a subject of envy still  :D

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2015, 10:16:52 am »

Why don't get a cold beer, chill out and come back to this later in the week?
I agree but was absolutely serious about an online petition and about signing it. It might be more effective than bitching individually. Adobe did back down to some degree when CC was announced in terms of pricing.
Lastly, let's not come back next week, let's stay in the forum and ask and answer questions about LR (any version). If folks want to rant or complain, there's a forum for that.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2015, 10:17:42 am »

are there any rules against ranting about what Adobe may do in the future ? if no - then just move on... it seems that the "size" of Kelby's NDA is a subject of envy still  :D
Rules no, but this isn't the forum to do so. We have one for that. This is specifically a forum for LR that folks are to ask and answer questions about the product, raw processing and printing. NOT Adobe's policies. Of which so far, few have provided.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:19:33 am by digitaldog »

MrIconoclast

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2015, 11:20:08 am »

I found that the only 'buy' price was the full price for those who don't already have LR 5.  Then, I clicked on the down arrow and there is an update price that is about 1/2 the full price.  But....  despite clicking on the update price several times and authorizing the changes to my order, it always went back to the full price.

So, it looks like I will staying with Lightroom 5.x for a while until they figure this one out.  Or I figure it out.  ;)

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2015, 11:31:52 am »

It took me 2 minutes to find the "stand-alone" version on the Adobe website and buying an "upgrade" license key was flawless at half the price of a full new version.

So I really don't see what all the fuss (and FUD) is all about.
pieter, aka pegelli

MrIconoclast

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2015, 11:47:32 am »

Thanks.  I will try again.   

While Adobe does not emphasize the stand-alone version, it is there.  I am not sure why my attempt to buy it at the update price failed, but I will try again.

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2015, 12:23:02 pm »

Went to adobe.com. Two mouse clicks later I found LR6 offered for sale as a standalone app. What do you want for user-friendly? A cup of warm milk and a pat on the back?

Yes ... but we all have to admit it is a pure scavenger hunt on the Adobe site for a visitor to find Lr 6 perpetual license version on their own. Not to mention you have to interpret the purchase settings to seek out an upgrade purchase vs full version. The whole procedure as offered is not very user friendly. It is quite reasonable to think that by such placement and situation, Adobe is trying to make such purchases as difficult as possible and would prefer to see a quick end to the perpetual license offering.

Thinking that a subscription only situation for Lr will arrive sooner, rather than later is not an outlandish conclusion based upon this evidence ... even though Adobe has not publicly stated as much.

As we can recall ... there was no indication that CS perpetual licensing would end prior to the announcement of CC only in 2013. To be confident that Lr will be offered in a perpetual license indefinitely may just be wishful thinking.
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

stamper

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2015, 12:44:51 pm »

It took me 2 minutes to find the "stand-alone" version on the Adobe website and buying an "upgrade" license key was flawless at half the price of a full new version.

So I really don't see what all the fuss (and FUD) is all about.

Please provide a link.

mbaginy

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2015, 01:21:54 pm »

Adobe's German site was screwy, it didn't show any availability of Lightroom 6, only Lightroom CC.  Only when I used their search function, did I (finally!) find LR6 and was able to download it.

Adobe - if you're so fixated with subscriptions, then don't offer standalone versions at all.  If you do offer both, then quit playing games and trying to anger LR6 customers into subscribing to CC out of frustration.  That seems your tactic.  I like LR and I like PS CS6.  But I'm not going to subscribe to anything!

ButchM

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2015, 01:39:52 pm »

Went to adobe.com. Two mouse clicks later I found LR6 offered for sale as a standalone app. What do you want for user-friendly? A cup of warm milk and a pat on the back?

Perhaps we mere mortals are not worthy ... please forgive my ineptitude ... i bow to your superior intellect and level of sophistication  ...  ;D

If you indeed accomplished the task in two clicks, it is you that deserves some milk ... and a cookies as well.

hjulenissen

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2015, 01:44:49 pm »

It seems that people of different nationality are treated differently by Adobe.com.

Perhaps spare the condescending tone until you have all the facts.

indusphoto

• 500px
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2015, 02:00:37 pm »

In fact, I tried downloading the "desktop only version" and got confusing dialogs, asking me to select a program on my harddisk, instead of downloading an installer for the program  (LR6) I already selected. I'm not going to risk ruining my current LR5 setup if/when I decide to remove LR6 or not purchase a licence, so I declined to play along on their terms (and my risk/cost).

The same thing happened with me. Instead of downloading LR, the website launched CC installer. I actually persevered and let it do its thing. It first updated few other things than finally (after 15 minute) gave me a list of software I could download. I selected Lightroom and it started download. After about 20 minutes, it gave me a dialog that LR5 is running and needs to be closed.

What? In all previous versions of LR, old and new can subsist in parallel. If CC installer needed me to close LR5, it means it was going to overwrite some shared files. There is no telling what would happen when I uninstall LR CC. Thanks, but no thanks.

This is why I started this thread. If the pain of migration is inevitable, I would much rather do it now then next year.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up