Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 6 - Dead end ?  (Read 33520 times)

indusphoto

• 500px
Re: Lightroom 6 - Dead end ?
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2015, 07:21:43 pm »

Really? Six years later? Really?

Ya gotta be kidding...I think you answered your own question...that's unreasonable-a totally unreasonable expectation.

It is unreasonable to expect Adobe to keep supporting software for for six years or ten, but that is exactly the point of purchasing the software. Since I purchased LR 5, I can keep using it for as long as I wish. With the advent of virtual machines, I should still be able to run LR 5 on Windows 7 in 2020.

If I wanted to keep running subscription software, I will need to be paying $10/month until 2020 to Adobe to be able to use it. Yes, it will be newer version with support for newer cameras, but I could use the mfr provided software to convert RAW to  JPG, DNG, or Tiff.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2015, 07:24:16 pm »

Yes, it will be newer version with support for newer cameras, but I could use the mfr provided software to convert RAW to  JPG, DNG, or Tiff.
Presumably the new software will provide new functionality and features you find useful, if not, the subscription model is destined to fail.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

indusphoto

• 500px
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2015, 07:35:19 pm »

Presumably the new software will provide new functionality and features you find useful, if not, the subscription model is destined to fail.

Absolutely. If the new features attract me, I will be all over it. However an upgrade 2/3 years with something that I want is different from paying monthly in the hope that there will be something I may want.

Selling software as a service is not a long-term viable model. Selling service as a service, and bundling software with it, is a viable model. This is what Microsoft is doing and is apparently being successful.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2015, 08:02:24 pm »

However an upgrade 2/3 years with something that I want is different from paying monthly in the hope that there will be something I may want.
What I'm hoping we see, and to some small degree we've seen it with Photoshop/ACR are new features on a somewhat regular basis, instead of waiting 18 months or two years. I think for the subscription plan to work, we need to see this. I'd hope we'd see this more with LR as it's audience is more focused than Photoshop. I recognize PS's customers do want 3D functionality for example, but those features have zero use for me. With LR, the team has to provide useful features on a regular basis (2-3 times a year?) for the core audience (Photographers) or it will fail to work under subscription IMHO.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

ButchM

« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2015, 09:11:40 pm »

With LR, the team has to provide useful features on a regular basis (2-3 times a year?) for the core audience (Photographers) or it will fail to work under subscription IMHO.

This is a concern of mine as well. While I don't lose sleep over it, I do wonder how soon and to what level complacency will set in for Adobe.

While I have zero doubts that those folks on the Lr team are more than capable of creating viable solutions we haven't even pondered yet, I am not as confident that the executives and accountants who make fiduciary decisions will give the team the resources and timetable to offer us what we have become accustomed to.

Once CC has reached the point of saturation where the number of subscriptions no longer show growth, it won't take long for the bean counters to realize, that revenues, and therefore profits will not increase no matter how many (or how few) new features or enhancements are added to Lr. Or how timely those items are released.

This was one of the great virtues of a perpetual license, it forces a developer to offer something worthy enough to generate a desired income in a timely fashion. In the absence of a direct competitor, there is little incentive to push the envelope when one has a more or less captive audience.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2015, 01:31:57 am »

Photoshop reached the point of 'nothing new worth paying for' at CS4 for me, Lightroom is already getting close to being feature complete too.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2015, 03:17:54 am »

This is a concern of mine as well. While I don't lose sleep over it, I do wonder how soon and to what level complacency will set in for Adobe.

While I have zero doubts that those folks on the Lr team are more than capable of creating viable solutions we haven't even pondered yet, I am not as confident that the executives and accountants who make fiduciary decisions will give the team the resources and timetable to offer us what we have become accustomed to.

Once CC has reached the point of saturation where the number of subscriptions no longer show growth, it won't take long for the bean counters to realize, that revenues, and therefore profits will not increase no matter how many (or how few) new features or enhancements are added to Lr. Or how timely those items are released.

This was one of the great virtues of a perpetual license, it forces a developer to offer something worthy enough to generate a desired income in a timely fashion. In the absence of a direct competitor, there is little incentive to push the envelope when one has a more or less captive audience.

+1        (x 1000)

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Cem

• Photographs
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2015, 04:35:25 am »

Well said, I couldn't agree more!

chez

« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2015, 09:12:31 am »

Don't know when that day will come where the subscription rate reaches saturation...but the digital camera boom has increased the potential customer base by at least 10 times. Countries like India and China have huge markets that are just entering into Adobe's markets.

I think we can sleep quite soundly for years to come not having to worry about Adobe's customer base being saturated.

ButchM

« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2015, 10:20:51 am »

Don't know when that day will come where the subscription rate reaches saturation...but the digital camera boom has increased the potential customer base by at least 10 times. Countries like India and China have huge markets that are just entering into Adobe's markets.

I think we can sleep quite soundly for years to come not having to worry about Adobe's customer base being saturated.

I hope you're right for everyone involved ... however, if you take a peek at Canon and Nikon DSLR sales of late ... even in the Asian/Eurasian market ... sales have more or less leveled off, they are actually seeing a small decline in some markets for the overall numbers they celebrated just a few years ago.

No matter how large of a pie you draw, all markets reach a saturation point. Whether that saturation is reached in a few years or a decade, matters little. The end results will in all likelihood be the same. Heck, two quarters ago Apple had their best quarter ever (to that point) but because they missed the Wall Street predictions by less than 2 percentage points, the headlines indicated they were a failure in the market's eyes with many pundits recommending selling off Apple stock.

No matter how you choose to view the future pie for Adobe, the pressure will be great to meet investor expectations ... and when it comes time to make cost cutting decisions ... it won't be the CEO's bonus that will face the axe first. If it were not for the fact that Adobe executives have set a precedent for making sweeping policy changes without prior notice ... I too, might be more inclined not to show much concern. Unfortunately, their track record in that area is not much of a confidence builder. I tend to reserve blind faith for other aspects of my life.

jrsforums

« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2015, 11:01:43 am »

The market may expand, but the players may change.  Just look at the changes in computing over the last 10-20 years.
John

indusphoto

• 500px
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2015, 04:33:53 pm »

You dont need to go far in future to see this play out. Just look at the updates in LR6. Compare this with the feature requests in this forum and Adobe forums.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2015, 05:12:49 pm »

You dont need to go far in future to see this play out. Just look at the updates in LR6. Compare this with the feature requests in this forum and Adobe forums.

While I share the view that guaranteed revenues tend not to encourage progress, that's just twisting facts to suit. Not sure how one measures it, but Lr6 has about the same amount of progress as in previous releases, with two of the top items in Adobe's feature requests forum having been implemented.

indusphoto

• 500px
« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2015, 05:42:49 pm »

I am not complaining, but it is evident that the dosage of new features is pretty well regulated, and I agree it was the same for LR 5.

With perpetual license, I have the option to not upgrade.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 05:56:39 pm by sunnycal »

chez

« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2015, 09:14:17 pm »

I hope you're right for everyone involved ... however, if you take a peek at Canon and Nikon DSLR sales of late ... even in the Asian/Eurasian market ... sales have more or less leveled off, they are actually seeing a small decline in some markets for the overall numbers they celebrated just a few years ago.

No matter how large of a pie you draw, all markets reach a saturation point. Whether that saturation is reached in a few years or a decade, matters little. The end results will in all likelihood be the same. Heck, two quarters ago Apple had their best quarter ever (to that point) but because they missed the Wall Street predictions by less than 2 percentage points, the headlines indicated they were a failure in the market's eyes with many pundits recommending selling off Apple stock.

No matter how you choose to view the future pie for Adobe, the pressure will be great to meet investor expectations ... and when it comes time to make cost cutting decisions ... it won't be the CEO's bonus that will face the axe first. If it were not for the fact that Adobe executives have set a precedent for making sweeping policy changes without prior notice ... I too, might be more inclined not to show much concern. Unfortunately, their track record in that area is not much of a confidence builder. I tend to reserve blind faith for other aspects of my life.

Butch, I'm not going into this with blind faith...but in the big world of things...this $10/month that I pay is peanuts...not worth my time or energy to worry about what might happen in the future. If Adobe decides to charge $50/month tomorrow, I'll just move to another product. To waste my time and energy running around like chicken little...well I just have much more important things to worry about in my life.

chez

« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2015, 09:17:50 pm »

I am not complaining, but it is evident that the dosage of new features is pretty well regulated, and I agree it was the same for LR 5.

With perpetual license, I have the option to not upgrade.

Well you also have options here.

1. Subscribe and get the latest greatest.
2. Stay with the perpetual license...at least for now.
3. Look for other product options.

Very simple as far as I can see. Expending time and energy on the perpetual versus subscription options just seems like a waste of time.

davidedric

« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2015, 04:54:34 am »

Whatever you decide now, it's scarcely a lifetime decision (barring an unexpected accident  ;D )

You can opt for CC for a year or two.  See how it pans out in functionality and stability (stability, because in my experience more frequent functional releases don't help), or maybe Mobile becomes really useful to you.   If it doesn't work out, rebuy/upgrade standalone (assuming it still exists!).

Simple?

Dave

ButchM

« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2015, 07:48:13 am »

To waste my time and energy running around like chicken little...well I just have much more important things to worry about in my life.

Expending time and energy on the perpetual versus subscription options just seems like a waste of time.

Bravo chez! ... You never cease to amaze me with your contributions here and elsewhere. You have become a unique source of amusement when you make such comments.

Surely, you are not so obtuse that the shear hypocrisy and contradiction these two statements represent?

I can only assume you make such comments as a satirical jest. Thanks ... you made my morning  :D

chez

« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2015, 08:47:38 am »

Bravo chez! ... You never cease to amaze me with your contributions here and elsewhere. You have become a unique source of amusement when you make such comments.

Surely, you are not so obtuse that the shear hypocrisy and contradiction these two statements represent?

I can only assume you make such comments as a satirical jest. Thanks ... you made my morning  :D

Butch, glad I can help,,,but I'm dead serious. Subscription has been out for quite a time now. It's been rehashed plenty, yet the same crew keep their complaints coming. I'm just thinking that maybe it's time to stop the complaints and maybe move onto other products.

This whole conspiracy that Adobe once they get people locked into subscription they'll just sit on their laurels and raise the price is what makes me chuckle in the morning over coffee.

ButchM

« Reply #119 on: May 01, 2015, 09:05:11 am »

Butch, glad I can help,,,but I'm dead serious.

Please, stop ... you're killing me  ;D

If you truly believe in what you profess, you would not invest so much of your valuable time and effort on these topics you consider a "waste of time" ...

If so ... why is it my view is a waste of time ... and your view is not? You seriously don't recognize the contradiction?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up