Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 6 Install Problem - Resolved  (Read 10578 times)

Gerald Barber

• Gerald Barber Photography, LLC
Lightroom 6 Install Problem - Resolved
« on: April 21, 2015, 03:11:48 pm »

I'm a photography plan subscriber. I just downloaded and installed the LR 6 upgrade (previously had 5.7.1). The install theoretically went fine. However, when I click on the LR shortcut on my desktop (Windows 8.1) nothing happens, i.e. LR does not launch. The same thing happens if I try and launch Lightroom directly from the file menu, and if I right click on the file and choose run as an administrator. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling LR 6.0 and rebooting the computer without any effect.

Is anyone else having this problem or does anyone have any idea on what I can do to get LR 6 to run? Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 03:35:47 pm by JerryB »
Gerald Barber

citro

Re: Lightroom 6 Install Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 03:21:58 pm »

As a "photography plan subscriber" you should ask for technical help from Adobe.

Doug Anderson

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 03:22:53 pm »

I'm having a similar problem on my iMac. I have been running Lightroom 5.7.1. This afternoon I installed Lightroom CC (2015) which I assumed was the CC version of Lightroom 6. When I try to open it I see a window flash very briefly in the center of the screen but nothing else happens. Fortunately 5.7.1 still works so I can continue to work.

ButchM

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 03:24:28 pm »

You are not alone in this ... ran into the situation myself on Mac platform ... quick visit to the Lightroom U2U forum suggested signing out then back in on your CC account remedied the situation ... seems it is a bit of a minor glitch in recognizing the license authentication.

Doug Anderson

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 03:33:06 pm »

That did it. Thanks!

Gerald Barber

• Gerald Barber Photography, LLC
Re: Lightroom 6 Install Problem - Resolved
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 03:36:29 pm »

Signing out of my CC account and signing back in fixed the problem here as well. Thank you.
Gerald Barber

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 04:17:23 pm »

Strange - I had the same problem with Windows 8.1, but simply using the CC tool to sign-off and on didn't fix the problem. Then I signed off with the CC tool and started Lightroom without prior signing on. Then, a popup with Lightroom in the header appeared , asking to sign-on, and after doing so, Lightroom started and began converting the database.
Now, everything is fine, and Lightroom is running completely ok for me ( and found / uses my old graphic adapter  ;D )

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

pigpen

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 04:59:01 pm »

NOT RESOLVED - I have the same problem but none of these solutions work for me. I've signed in, I've signed out, the box disappears and no program opens. The Cloud sucks. If it would just let us download the stand alone trial version to see if we like the improvements.

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 05:04:47 pm »

Strange - I had the same problem with Windows 8.1, but simply using the CC tool to sign-off and on didn't fix the problem. Then I signed off with the CC tool and started Lightroom without prior signing on. Then, a popup with Lightroom in the header appeared , asking to sign-on, and after doing so, Lightroom started and began converting the database.
Now, everything is fine, and Lightroom is running completely ok for me ( and found / uses my old graphic adapter  ;D )

Robert

This worked for me too.  Boy, this is pretty lame on Adobe's part.  I'm not feeling the love.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

Steve House

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 06:34:06 pm »

Was your previous installed LR 5.7.1 the perpetually licensed standalone version or was it the CC version?  I'm wondering about any issues encountered switching from the old perpetual 5.7 version of LR to the new CC version.  Related, do plugins such NIK automatically port over to the new version?

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 09:58:44 pm »

I installed the new Lightroom CC this morning but it would only give the briefest of flashes of the splash screen when launched before quitting. Supposedly doing a full Sign Out (not just quitting) of your CC account fixes this for a lot of people (possibly followed by a Restart and logging back in) but it didn't for me.

I ended up going to ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/ and removing all the Presets, Templates etc folders (to my Desktop). Then did the above sign out-Restart-sign in procedure. All then good. I then moved my individual User Presets etc into the equivalent spot in the new Lightroom Application Support.

Note that Lightroom CC is just shown as Lightroom (no CC) in Applications etc!

rdonson

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 10:14:04 pm »

On my MBP Retina mid 2012 running OS X 10.10.3

1) If you experience the brief flash of the splash screen issue you have to "Sign Out" of the CC app.  No, not QUIT.  "Sign Out".  Its cleverly hidden in "Preferences" in the CC app.  Then login again.  Kind of a nutty UI.

2) You won't find Lr CC in "Finder" on your Mac.  If you look in "Finder" its cleverly hidden a new Adobe Lightroom folder with an icon identical to the Lr 5 icon.  Lr CC is cleverly hidden in there with the same old icon called "Adobe Lightroom.app". 

3) If you drag the new app to your Dock guess what?  Yep, the icon looks identical to Lr 5.  If you hover over the new icon in the Dock is identifies itself Adobe Lightroom not Lr 6 or Lr CC. 

The usability experts at Adobe really need to go back to class or pay a bit more attention to the install process and CC app..
Regards,
Ron

Cayman

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 10:35:06 pm »

You are not alone in this ... ran into the situation myself on Mac platform ... quick visit to the Lightroom U2U forum suggested signing out then back in on your CC account remedied the situation ... seems it is a bit of a minor glitch in recognizing the license authentication.

Many thanks for this.  Couldn't get it to show (photography plan) even after a reboot, but a quick sign out sign in and I can see and install it.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 02:35:32 am »

1) If you experience the brief flash of the splash screen issue you have to "Sign Out" of the CC app.  No, not QUIT.  "Sign Out".  Its cleverly hidden in "Preferences" in the CC app.  Then login again.  Kind of a nutty UI.

Thanks, that solved my problem...

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 10:27:59 am »

Thank you. That appears to be working on my OS X 10.10.3 machine as well. Did you choose the keep or discard option for the upgraded catalog when importing from a previous catalog?

On my MBP Retina mid 2012 running OS X 10.10.3

2) You won't find Lr CC in "Finder" on your Mac.  If you look in "Finder" its cleverly hidden a new Adobe Lightroom folder with an icon identical to the Lr 5 icon.  Lr CC is cleverly hidden in there with the same old icon called "Adobe Lightroom.app". 

3) If you drag the new app to your Dock guess what?  Yep, the icon looks identical to Lr 5.  If you hover over the new icon in the Dock is identifies itself Adobe Lightroom not Lr 6 or Lr CC. 

The usability experts at Adobe really need to go back to class or pay a bit more attention to the install process and CC app..

rdonson

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 10:53:06 am »

Thank you. That appears to be working on my OS X 10.10.3 machine as well. Did you choose the keep or discard option for the upgraded catalog when importing from a previous catalog?

I always keep the previous catalog as a failsafe should there be unexpected bugs with the upgrade.  That way I can go back to LR 5 and do work.  I haven't had to resort to that but I don't like burning bridges until I'm confident I don't need them.
Regards,
Ron

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 12:13:32 pm »

update: Followed Ron's advice and then created a my existing catalog  202K images + a few video files)  to a new catalog. All went  smoothly.

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 02:37:34 pm »

Also worked for me - thanks!

mburke

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 03:13:36 pm »

Worked for me on Win 7. Still kind of a pain. You would think the routine would be a little easier.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 07:37:07 am »

Ditto, had the same problem, sign out of CC and back in and now LRCC is starting.  This was my 1st install of LR CC although I've had CC for a while, just been using LR5 and PSCC until now.
This was a PC and Win764

Thanks for the pointer...
Pages: [1]   Go Up